News & Discussion: Height Limits

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

Re: No more height restrictions in Adelaide?!

#301 Post by stumpjumper » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:36 am

Look through my tourist photos? Ha ha. They're all of foreign girls doing strange things in hotel rooms... (you can take that out, can't you Howie?)

Thank you for the answer, well, an answer. The case for tall buildings in Adelaide at least for some is not economic, but psychological, even spiritual. That's a valid reason, btw. As mentioned, they're the arguments (in addition to political ones) that created cathedrals.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#302 Post by Howie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:40 am

stumpjumper wrote:Look through my tourist photos? Ha ha. They're all of foreign girls doing strange things in hotel rooms... (you can take that out, can't you Howie?)
haha.. sure just let me run a filter over that :D

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#303 Post by Shuz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:41 am

Cathedral, or simply churches were always built to be the 'tallest point' of the city. If you visit Strathalbyn and Victor Harbor, the church was always built on top of the city's highest hill or point to elevate its focus above the city. Even in Adelaide's case, St Peter's was purposedly built at the axis of KWS on the hill so that it would be seen. As I said before, it has merely transformed into the modern-day office building as a symbol of the city's socio-economic prosperity.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#304 Post by Just build it » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:56 am

My memory is hazy on this but when talking about height limits in the CBD and what's possible haven't we already had approval for a 200m high building in Adelaide? The observation tower/restaurant or whatever it was.

If approved surely it was cleared with the airport as OK or didn't it get that far?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#305 Post by Shuz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:10 pm

Just build it wrote:My memory is hazy on this but when talking about height limits in the CBD and what's possible haven't we already had approval for a 200m high building in Adelaide? The observation tower/restaurant or whatever it was.

If approved surely it was cleared with the airport as OK or didn't it get that far?
That would be the Capital City Observation Tower project which was mooted as part of the redevelopment of the David Jones/John Martins site back in 1998?
Yes, it did get approved by all authorities, ACC, AAL, CASA at the time and even required for the flight path to be changed - which I think meant the AAL were planning to go-ahead with the 2nd parallel runway. Anyway, the Asian stock maket collapse was responsible for the death of the project because the financiers were heavily liquidated as a result. Now that was 10 years ago... So I can't really say what's to happen now considering many things have changed since.

raulduke
High Rise Poster!

#306 Post by raulduke » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:23 pm

"Yet, developers should be able to look at serious height, whether that be 15 or 20 storey buildings – something that allows commercial property to be built there as well as residential."

lol - 15 or 20 storey buildings are not "serious height" - get real Kevin, we want 40+

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#307 Post by Norman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:28 pm

He means out in the suburbs.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#308 Post by Shuz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:29 pm

raulduke wrote:"Yet, developers should be able to look at serious height, whether that be 15 or 20 storey buildings – something that allows commercial property to be built there as well as residential."

lol - 15 or 20 storey buildings are not "serious height" - get real Kevin, we want 40+
15-20 storey buildings in the suburbs is serious height. We're talking 50-70m here, any buildings developed here will be taller than the Glenelg or Port Adelaide/West Lakes clusters.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#309 Post by Just build it » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:51 pm

Shuz wrote:That would be the Capital City Observation Tower project which was mooted as part of the redevelopment of the David Jones/John Martins site back in 1998?
Yes, it did get approved by all authorities, ACC, AAL, CASA at the time and even required for the flight path to be changed - which I think meant the AAL were planning to go-ahead with the 2nd parallel runway. Anyway, the Asian stock maket collapse was responsible for the death of the project because the financiers were heavily liquidated as a result. Now that was 10 years ago... So I can't really say what's to happen now considering many things have changed since.
Thanks Shuz, yeah that's the one. It kind of makes me think developers were as much to blame for our 20 years of stagnate skyline as much as the ACC were, but developers can only build if there's money to be made so.... :?

If there was a solution to the airspace problem back then surely there'd be another solution in the future. Maybe the airport isn't as big a problem as we think either. I live in hope anyway.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#310 Post by rev » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:17 pm

The airport has just been a convenient excuse.

I present to you Phoenix, Arizona.

As you can see, in the top centre, the Phoenix CBD. In the bottom right corner, you can see three runways. The airport in Phoenix has FOUR terminals, not one like ours. It has 41 million people pass through yearly, not a minor league 6.3 million like AIA.
Yet our CBD has three buildings over 100m in height only.
Phoenix's tallest fifteen are over 100m.
The distances are roughly the same(straight line)3-4kmish in both cities from the end of the runway to the cbd.
It is not a matter of safety, as you can see how close that one runway's flight path is parallel to the CBD. It is the attitudes in Adelaide which have prevented height.

Notice in this image the passenger aircraft.

The view from the runway at Phoenix, and the view from the runway at Adelaide..

And Phoenix even has an inner city stadium, I think even a second smaller one. :lol:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#311 Post by Wayno » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:28 pm

it appears from the image that the tallest Phoenix building also 30-35stories? true?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#312 Post by Jim » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:35 pm

I agree the airport is just a convenient excuse!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#313 Post by rev » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:38 pm

Close, 40fl, 147m.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#314 Post by omada » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:54 pm

A very conclusive argument there Rev, much props!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#315 Post by Wayno » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:17 pm

hmmm, this is indeed interesting. Phoenix airport is 3.4km from runway to CBD, Adelaide is 4.4km.

How long has the Phoenix airport been there? has it always had jumbo air traffic? and when were the buildings over 30 stories erected?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.