[COM] SGIC Building > GHD Building Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Cint
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: #U/R: SGIC Building > GHD Building

#196 Post by Cint » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:02 pm

Pic showing both logos

sorry for low quality, just from my phone

Uncle Monty
High Rise Poster!

#197 Post by Uncle Monty » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi guys. Have loved reading the Sensational Adelaide site for about 3 years now but haven't posted until tonight thanks to my friend Mr Bacardi! Any news on when the remaining floors on this building will be completed? I walk past this building every day and I find it hard to believe that such an important building at such an important location in the city centre will sit half completed for so long.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#198 Post by Wayno » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:36 pm

Uncle Monty wrote:Hi guys. Have loved reading the Sensational Adelaide site for about 3 years now but haven't posted until tonight thanks to my friend Mr Bacardi! Any news on when the remaining floors on this building will be completed? I walk past this building every day and I find it hard to believe that such an important building at such an important location in the city centre will sit half completed for so long.
hey uncy monty, welcome & wow! sitting quiet for 3years, you must have been married a looong time :lol:

If you look back through this thread you'll find why it remains incomplete - the building is chocka full of litigious lawyers (tautology?) who refuse to move so their floors can be renovated. They want compensation for lost time, clocked by 5min time periods...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#199 Post by Omicron » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:04 pm

Uncle Monty wrote:Hi guys. Have loved reading the Sensational Adelaide site for about 3 years now but haven't posted until tonight thanks to my friend Mr Bacardi! Any news on when the remaining floors on this building will be completed? I walk past this building every day and I find it hard to believe that such an important building at such an important location in the city centre will sit half completed for so long.
That's the Adelaide way. 8)

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#200 Post by UrbanSG » Fri May 22, 2009 9:34 am

This building is now annoying the hell out of me. It looks terrible with only a part external refurb.

I can see it turning into an embarrassment for Adelaide.

I think the parts that have been refurbished so far look great but are completely wrecked by the upper sections that are still not complete. It's prominent postion makes it stand out.

I wonder how long it will take for these lawyers and other tenants to stop causing problems. A fair portion of the building is up for sub-lease space after some of the lawyers moved to the new Thomson Playford building. I would have thought the developer could try and negotiate a deal to end their lease and refurb this space while it is empty. Obviously things went very bad between the relevant parties and any potential negotiations aren't occuring.

The result, we are left with a half complete building that is currently a joke! :wank:

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#201 Post by Ben » Fri May 22, 2009 9:40 am

I know a friend who works for built environs who says the building is finished and there are no plans to complete the renovation at this stage.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#202 Post by UrbanSG » Fri May 22, 2009 10:48 am

That is crazy!

Unless the Council approved only a partial refurb the developer would be required to complete the entire refurb within a minimum of 3 years I believe.

I really hope only a partial refurb was not approved by Council when they make such a big deal about the overall appearance of new buildings. I would have though the original application was for the enitre building.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#203 Post by Waewick » Fri May 22, 2009 10:53 am

I'm fairly sure its on a tenant by tenant basis.

When the tenants lease expires the works will get done.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#204 Post by monotonehell » Fri May 22, 2009 10:43 pm

UrbanSG wrote:This building is now annoying the hell out of me. It looks terrible with only a part external refurb.

I can see it turning into an embarrassment for Adelaide.

I think the parts that have been refurbished so far look great but are completely wrecked by the upper sections that are still not complete. It's prominent postion makes it stand out.

I wonder how long it will take for these lawyers and other tenants to stop causing problems. A fair portion of the building is up for sub-lease space after some of the lawyers moved to the new Thomson Playford building. I would have thought the developer could try and negotiate a deal to end their lease and refurb this space while it is empty. Obviously things went very bad between the relevant parties and any potential negotiations aren't occuring.

The result, we are left with a half complete building that is currently a joke! :wank:
While I agree with your sentiment, I think you are blowing it out of all proportion.

If one building referb standing incomplete is a "embarrassment for Adelaide" then Adelaide would be a pissant town, as some put it. I don't think Adelaide is a pissant town, and therefore this incomplete refurb is only a minor problem.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#205 Post by baytram366 » Mon May 25, 2009 2:41 pm

What is GHD??? Other than a hair straighter brand :D
And why does their new logo look so bad?? It looks very cheap and nasty...
Didn't they have another building in Grenfell Street?
Last edited by baytram366 on Thu May 28, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#206 Post by Allkai » Mon May 25, 2009 2:51 pm

Consulting engineers.

They had/have naming rights to the Da Costa building in Grenfell St, but relocated to Vic Square.

I think they still have some occupancy in Grenfell St though.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#207 Post by AtD » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:19 pm

Apologies if this has been posted before. From realcommercial.com.au

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#208 Post by Shuz » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:02 pm

You'd think while they're doing it up with all the new alumium cladding and glassing, they'd give the angled sides a makeover too....

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#209 Post by UrbanSG » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:56 am

I drove past quickly this morning and I think I saw temporary fencing up at the rear of this site again. I can't remember if it was ever taken away?

Hopefully they are starting to refurb the 3 floors below the uppermost floor which have sat empty for months after that law firm vacated and tried to sub lease the space. I wonder if their lease is now up and the owner can continue to renovate. I hope so.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#210 Post by adam_stuckey » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:00 am

It'll look so much better once all the windows match! I was getting worried that it was going to stay like that!
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month