[COM] 413 KWS Vue on King William | 89m | 28Lvl | Residential

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
slenderman
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: 413 KWS Vue on King William | 89m | 28Lvl | Residential

#1051 Post by slenderman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:12 pm

AG wrote:So what is everyone's general verdict on this compared to the original Hills proposal years ago?
I did like that proposal. In my opinion it had a nicer colour scheme compared to the brown of Vue, although I am starting to like it more.

However, I believe Vue is a much better outcome for the site. The old proposal was pretty much exactly as tall as the Optus building, which I suspect would create an unpleasant wall effect in the vicinity.

Also, in all honesty, although it looked quite nice, it wasn't a particularly spectacular design. It looked quite boxy and looks like a rather generic modern Adelaide high rise. Reminds me of other developments such as 70 Franklin, City Central 8 and the western wall of 50 Flinders. Vue on the other hand, regardless of the brown glass, is a far more unique and bold design by Adelaide's standards, so it provides a greater level of visual interest.

But it would also have been nice to see that empty lot filled in about five/six years sooner. I'm so glad that hideous carpark is out of view now.

I imagine this is a pretty consistent view?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1052 Post by crawf » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:37 pm

ghs wrote:
skyliner wrote:I just like the bldg - full stop. Will add to KWS Sth - impressed with the slimming elongated height effect of it from certain angles. Looking forward to see it in next visit to Adelaide later in year. It's time the high rise resi market hit Adelaide - been years in the east. (Bris, reaching a glut).

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
It would be a great disappointment if Adelaide ends up being similar to Brisbane.

There are nice grassed areas along the river Torrens and then you have the small convention centre buildings and the bigger university buildings under construction in the background. It's going to be a nice tiered panorama when it's all finished. Compare this to Brisbane where they've put a concrete jungle right on top of the brown coloured Brisbane river, it looks terrible.
Each to their own, though I believe the Brisbane skyline looks impressive from Southbank and Kangaroo Point.

EBG
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1053 Post by EBG » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:36 pm

I like the Vue building especially in low light and on Winter days .It has a certain aggressive feel to it.

ChillyPhilly

#1054 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:51 am

crawf wrote:
ghs wrote:
skyliner wrote:I just like the bldg - full stop. Will add to KWS Sth - impressed with the slimming elongated height effect of it from certain angles. Looking forward to see it in next visit to Adelaide later in year. It's time the high rise resi market hit Adelaide - been years in the east. (Bris, reaching a glut).

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
It would be a great disappointment if Adelaide ends up being similar to Brisbane.

There are nice grassed areas along the river Torrens and then you have the small convention centre buildings and the bigger university buildings under construction in the background. It's going to be a nice tiered panorama when it's all finished. Compare this to Brisbane where they've put a concrete jungle right on top of the brown coloured Brisbane river, it looks terrible.
Each to their own, though I believe the Brisbane skyline looks impressive from Southbank and Kangaroo Point.
I too don't mind the Brisbane skyline when viewed from Southbank. The view of the Riverside Expressway from Southbank, however, is not as good.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

claybro

#1055 Post by claybro » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:12 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:I too don't mind the Brisbane skyline when viewed from Southbank. The view of the Riverside Expressway from Southbank, however, is not as good.
I actually don't mind the view of the expressway along the river. As a transport nerd, to me it gives the appearance of a fast, busy city and not some sleepy backwater.

skyliner

#1056 Post by skyliner » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:34 pm

That expressway next to Bris CBD spoils the look due to the dark cavernous area underneath with a less that appealing presentation. As to the CBD (from a distance) near a brown river, I have to say that it looks like everything developed without much foresight re the river
frontage. I believe we in Adelaide have already learned about this mistake, with the river instead being integrated with development.
I am still of the opinion that the resi market has plenty of opportunity for development (and has not spoiled the city) - but this will be somewhat more guarded than in Bris. with a better final result.

ADELAIDE _ TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#1057 Post by Jaymz » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:28 pm

Was driving north through Hyde Park today on King William Road, and from that angle this building
gives the impression of being quite a bit taller than it's 89 metres. Was pleasantly surprised :)

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1058 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:10 pm

The Japanese bar called "Mimasu" is set to open this Friday. They have announced this on their Facebook page. Cant wait to visit!

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1059 Post by timtam20292 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:48 pm

Street View in front of and around the building has been updated, looks really good. :applause: :applause:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1060 Post by Norman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:02 am

A timelapse of the construction can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_E1S-FPEvI

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1061 Post by timtam20292 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:48 am

Sorry to bump this thread and I'm more than happy for it to be moved to a more appropriate location.

The ground floor space on the right side of the building has been turned into what appears to be offices. So no restaurant/cafe as depicted in the renders a few years back.
Last edited by timtam20292 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1062 Post by monotonehell » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:01 pm

timtam20292 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:48 am
Sorry to bump this thread and I'm more than happy for it to moved to a more appropriate location.

The ground floor space on the right side of the building has been turned into what appears to be offices. So no restaurant/cafe as depicted in the renders a few years back.
I wonder how the Japanese one next door is going?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1063 Post by timtam20292 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:24 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:01 pm
timtam20292 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:48 am
Sorry to bump this thread and I'm more than happy for it to moved to a more appropriate location.

I wonder how the Japanese one next door is going?
I haven't been there for a while but I did walk past last night and there were some people outside having drinks. There was an article posted recently about the head chef there changing up the menu and how its a really nice trendy place. I personally love it there :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1064 Post by Norman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:19 pm

The area probably doesn't have the population around it for another restaurant or cafe just yet. Hopefully this will change as more buildings go up and the population increases.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1065 Post by Ben » Fri May 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Vue on King William residents launch legal action, claiming their tower apartments get too hot
Renato Castello, Urban Development Editor, The Advertiser
May 4, 2018 2:19pm

RESIDENTS in Adelaide’s tallest apartment tower have launched legal action against the developer of the award-winning $100 million building, claiming their properties get too hot.

Vue on King William’s community corporation has filed a pre-trial application seeking access to documents from the developer of the 87m-tall tower to build the case for a potential claim in the District Court.

The action comes less than two years after the completion of the 205-apartment tower by developer Vue on KWS Pty Ltd — a joint venture between Adelaide-based Starfish Developments and Melbourne developer the Deague Group.

Vue on KWS lawyer Samuel Hurburgh, of Minter Ellison, said the nub of the issue was that the apartments get “too hot”.

“There’s either an issue with the glass, issue with the thermal performance of the building or with the airconditioning,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s all apartments.”

The community corporation’s lawyer Amy Davis, of Barry Nilsson lawyers, told Master Mark Rice it was primarily the apartments facing the west that have the “most difficulty”.

Mr Hurburgh told the court on Thursday that his client is opposing the application by the community corporation for pre-action disclosure of documents.

The Vue apartments were completed in May 2016 and the first residents moved in a month later.

The building is on the western side of King William St, near the corner of South Tce.

A former Vue on King William resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said she and her husband moved out of their rental property last July because of the heat.

“The apartment was always so hot because of the glass and poor airconditioning,” she said.

“I was told the heat was the price you paid for the beautiful view. We were northeast on level 16. By 8am in summer the apartment was really hot.

“The AC was installed in a position that didn’t allow for (air) flow through the apartment.”

Starfish Developments managing director Damon Nagel declined to comment on the court action.

The Advertiser has sought comment from the Deague Group and comment from the community corporation through legal firm Barry Nillson Lawyers.

The Vue on King William won the 2016 Urban Development Institute of Australia SA branch High Density Housing Award in 2016.