[COM] 413 KWS Vue on King William | 89m | 28Lvl | Residential

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #Proposed: 413-427 King William St - 13 level

#91 Post by Pants » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:15 am

One more thing - this shows - along with a string of similar Melbourne projects - that a bit of colour and contrast to a glass cube can make it look arcitecturally worthwhile.

Although I'm no authority on this, I'd imagine that the cost wouldn't be too prohibitive either. Let's hope that George Kambitsis and Kyren take note and stop leaving behing a legacy of crap buildings.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#92 Post by skyliner » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:53 am

Absolutely stunning :!: :!: Sensational :!: :!:

I like the 'wall' effect - reminds you of inner city development. Love the design - being a head office will help draw other offices to the area. Big in appearance - as previously said, will complement 400 KWS well - will really fill that end of KWS. They will have to get more trams to accommodate increased N/S KWS movement as well.

Adelaide is really starting to become to become more vibrant and alive.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE it's happening :D :D
Jack.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#93 Post by crawf » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:01 pm

Pikey wrote:
omada wrote:
Pikey Said: Can't wait for the second law courts building to eventually go ahead, so king william will become a line of towers up to Victoria Square.
Second Law Courts Building? Is there a thread on this , renders? or a place to find further info?

Cheers
Nothing official, but the bare "Park" opposite the law courts on the western side of King William St will eventually house a second law courts building, when an extension is needed.
There was a render of this in the tiser ages ago, looked quite nice :)

urban
Legendary Member!

#94 Post by urban » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:27 pm

The render looks great. Such a shame that from a distance it will look like a single building together with Optus.

It would have been awesome to have this building on the other South Tce/KWR corner to form a southern gateway to the city.

There is a good chance this will be approved (limited impact due to existing Optus tower) but expect the owner of Optus to put strong pressure on council.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#95 Post by Shuz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:59 pm

Optus height stands at 60m. This looks about 59m, just shy of the Optus height.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#96 Post by Mants » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:05 pm

there is an advertisment for this development in this week's Adelaide Review.

the facade of the rendering in the magazine looks quite a lot greener than the render on the front page of this thread, and doesnt feature Hills Industries' signage. looks good though!

cinema4
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#97 Post by cinema4 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:14 am

why are so many developments in adelaide being built so close to existing highrise? this hills building will block out the view of the city from every window on the optus building's north face. the currie street development will bock out the westpac building's view of adelaide oval and the parklands and from colonel light lookout, westpac will be hidden behind the currie street building. i figure highrise buildings look taller when they stand alone, so adelaide will always look cluttered if we don't spread the wealth a bit more - but then again, who cares? i just got back from melbourne and we've got a long way to go before our skyline impresses anybody from a bigger city - unless we get that observation tower in victoria square...

thechap
High Rise Poster!

#98 Post by thechap » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:19 am

cinema4 wrote:why are so many developments in adelaide being built so close to existing highrise? this hills building will block out the view of the city from every window on the optus building's north face. the currie street development will bock out the westpac building's view of adelaide oval and the parklands and from colonel light lookout, westpac will be hidden behind the currie street building. i figure highrise buildings look taller when they stand alone, so adelaide will always look cluttered if we don't spread the wealth a bit more - but then again, who cares? i just got back from melbourne and we've got a long way to go before our skyline impresses anybody from a bigger city - unless we get that observation tower in victoria square...
Not to be rude - but are you just frothing at the mouth or do you actually have something useful to add to the discussion? We're all pretty aware of the shortfalls of Adelaide's development, we are here to make a difference, encourage improvement, not just flippantly mention how far behind melbourne we are. You need to approach this from a realistic perspective. A structure like currie street would have no chance being approved all alone by itself because of the height restrictions in other areas of the cbd. Similar to this development. Ever been to new york? Everybody looks at other buildings all day, but is it not one of the most vibrant cities in the world?
"The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair." - Relient K

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#99 Post by ynotsfables » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:08 pm

cinema4 wrote:why are so many developments in adelaide being built so close to existing highrise? this hills building will block out the view of the city from every window on the optus building's north face. the currie street development will bock out the westpac building's view of adelaide oval and the parklands and from colonel light lookout, westpac will be hidden behind the currie street building. i figure highrise buildings look taller when they stand alone, so adelaide will always look cluttered if we don't spread the wealth a bit more - but then again, who cares? i just got back from melbourne and we've got a long way to go before our skyline impresses anybody from a bigger city - unless we get that observation tower in victoria square...
Welcome on board my friend.
To answer your question in a nut shell you are wittnessing the creation of a young new vibrant city that is not comparable to any other in Australia or even the world in that fact. We are definately unique.
Density is inevitable, you'll find that with our building boom more of this will occur. There will be other buildings that will take over in height and views in the future, however i don't think the views are the main objective.
When i lived near Sydney for a while, and i eventually came back home i thought i was in paradise.
My point is that big cities are impressive for a little while, but you don't really appreciate what we've got here until you go away for some time.
By the way i'm sure there are big cities that envy our life style.
However i do see your point.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#100 Post by crawf » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:15 pm

Embassy & Horizon wasn't built next to any hi-rises, The Precinct towers arn't next to any tall buildings etc...

These buildings are spreading the skyline further out......

cinema4
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#101 Post by cinema4 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:10 pm

I'm not frothing at the mouth thechap, I'm frothing at the whole head. Why does this city need to expand north and south, away from what we all agree is a unique 'city', when all we have to do is divert a couple of flight paths out and around the western suburbs and bring life to this part-time festival city? That airport is the bane of Adelaide, and the city centre will only survive as a competitive and culturally exciting epicenter in eras to come if we build inward and up - not out into generic suburban sprawl. The parklands are empty most of the time, but the major shopping centres in the outer reaches of our city are thriving.

Petitions and hard line discussion with results go begging - and we may spend the rest of our days writing back and forth unless some serious propositions and blueprints are forced on our representatives in office. I have complete respect for the written word, but I do hope these forums are collected and rammed down political throats as it seems they need the information chewed and digested before they'll even consider evolution. I've extensive international travel behind me, and I remind you that even cities in developing nations are booming. It's what you do with the boom that counts. The fallout should be memorable.

Why build 50 15 storey buildings when we can build 25 30 storey buildings? I think Adelaide is the only city left in Autralia that refuses to think long term - example - Footy Park. The scholars on this web site need to step it up a bit and start hammering the real decision makers with solid demands or all these threads will end up weaving a big blanket no-one wants to sit on.

I hope you can proove me wrong.

thechap
High Rise Poster!

#102 Post by thechap » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:56 am

cinema4 wrote:I'm not frothing at the mouth thechap, I'm frothing at the whole head.
Now there's an image :shock:

But seriously, well said. Now I can see where your coming from and I totally agree. I suppose what I was saying was that the reason these things are being built near existing high rise that it gives them precedent for approval. I'm suggesting that I think its a good thing, just giving a reason. I'd love to see some more 30 storey buildings spread out in the south eastern and south western segments of the city. We have five 'squares' the perfect place for bordering high rise and one, maybe two with the current hindmarsh square developments are being used to anywhere near their potential.
"The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair." - Relient K

MGR
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#103 Post by MGR » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:02 pm

Ben wrote:
We move into the Optus building this Friday... some of you will remeber the photos i have been taking from there during the fit out. guess I'll have to make the most of it until it's blocked out in about 12 - 18 months.

i guess the plus side is I can take awesome construction pics of it going up.

Im in the optus building too, shame about losing the northern view (and my carpark!) but itll be worth it seeing the skyline full of cranes this year, another positive development in our cbd
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." - William Shakespeare (Hamlet)

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#104 Post by JamesXander » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:44 pm

I have no problems with them building along King William Street, but I'd much rather them build in concentrated Northern part.

Hannah
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#105 Post by Hannah » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:46 pm

The architects responsible for the design and documentation of the Hills bulding are JPE (Jackman Parken Evans) http://www.jpe.com.au

JPE are also involved in the design of 2 new apartment / office buildings to be built opposite the Hills site and are also designing a new hotel within the existing CML building (on the corner of King William Street and Hindley Street) that incorporates a new two storey addition to the western 1980's extension & creating an open air pool deck & basement food court.

King William Street is changing!