[CAN] [Freedom Apartments] 3x | 30m | 8lvls | Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN] Re: #PRO: Freedom Apartments (Grote) | 36m | 1 x 10 + 2 x 8 Lvl

#46 Post by omada » Tue May 05, 2009 9:28 am

ATD wrote: To be honest, I think if this building is built, it'll fade into the background thanks to its earth tones and unremarkable shape. Just like the new student building on Hindley Street has.
Normally I would agree with you ATD, but the location is important, it is basically the first view visitors would have of our CBD - and they would be subjected to a view of not one massive blank wall, but three! A solution with a bit more finesse is required I feel.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by ozisnowman » Tue May 05, 2009 9:48 am

Brando wrote:

It is understood Adelaide Airports Limited has concerns over building height and will also object to the proposal.

They made the correct call with this development. AAL is what concerns me. I'm well aware of the height limits in place around the CBD, but gee it just goes to show that our upwards rise as a city is precarious..
The Adelaide Airports Limited group should be told be the State Government to put up and shut up or to
stup up shop and move north... The proposed development is neither of any great height nor in the direct flight path.
This group should be taken to the old Hong Kong airport and shown how highrise and airport can co-exist...

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#48 Post by ozisnowman » Tue May 05, 2009 9:48 am

Brando wrote:

It is understood Adelaide Airports Limited has concerns over building height and will also object to the proposal.

They made the correct call with this development. AAL is what concerns me. I'm well aware of the height limits in place around the CBD, but gee it just goes to show that our upwards rise as a city is precarious..
The Adelaide Airports Limited group should be told be the State Government to put up and shut up or to
stup up shop and move north... The proposed development is neither of any great height nor in the direct flight path.
This group should be taken to the old Hong Kong airport and shown how highrise and airport can co-exist...

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by AtD » Tue May 05, 2009 9:56 am

omada: A blank wall is required by the fire code as this is a property boundary. Any building that didn't present a blank wall would be rejected. It's not a bare concrete wall, as we've seen in other developments, and it's been broken up by vertical white lines.

I agree it's not the prettiest of things, but it's a reasonable compromise IMO. However, I'd be less upset if this building was rejected on this issue rather than the "slums" claim or the ACC going beyond their role and pretending they're the Reserve Bank of the property market.

canopy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#50 Post by canopy » Tue May 05, 2009 11:08 am

is the council people anti-development? sick and tired of this people control of adelaide future. But my hope is still here, i will wait and see in this fews year time, if still lack of development, I will move my family to melbourne.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#51 Post by Ben » Tue May 05, 2009 11:19 am

canopy wrote:is the council people anti-development? sick and tired of this people control of adelaide future. But my hope is still here, i will wait and see in this fews year time, if still lack of development, I will move my family to melbourne.
You'd move your family because of a lack of construction? i would hope such large decisions would be based more on cost of living, family friendliness, access to infrastructure, not how many high rises are under construction.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#52 Post by Howie » Tue May 05, 2009 11:53 am

I do agree that as one of the main thoroughfares through city deserves something a little better than what the developers are proposing here.

Student apartments don't necessarily have to be bland and boring.. for instance :
OFIS Arhitekti - Student apartment studios Paris 19e
http://www.arcprospect.org/index.php?op ... &Itemid=48

My main concern is that we'll be left with another eyesore like Palais student apartments on North Terrace.

canopy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#53 Post by canopy » Tue May 05, 2009 11:54 am

Ben wrote:
canopy wrote:is the council people anti-development? sick and tired of this people control of adelaide future. But my hope is still here, i will wait and see in this fews year time, if still lack of development, I will move my family to melbourne.
You'd move your family because of a lack of construction? i would hope such large decisions would be based more on cost of living, family friendliness, access to infrastructure, not how many high rises are under construction.
overall the state development, and also i will look at job availability elsewhere, my wife try to look for job in the pass 1 year, she is in mobile application/graphic design, non at all vacancy over here in adelaide! guess what Barcelona soccer team will be visiting mel, MU soccer team visit Queenland, Real Madrid visit Perth ( example ), but non international team/game play in adelaide. what a pathetic stadium we have, all is care about blardy fotty! :wank: we dont even have a Citibank branch here????

loud
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by loud » Tue May 05, 2009 12:17 pm

Wayno wrote:I believe this proposal (at least in its current form) is dead. The DAC won't approve at risk of appearing to support a 'future slum', esp in an election year. There's no guarantee the DAC approving this will result in a nett increase in votes for labor - so why risk it.

Note: i'm not stating my personal preference here - just how i believe the govt will act based on the media circus.
DAC is a politically independent body isn't it?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by Ben » Tue May 05, 2009 12:44 pm

canopy wrote: we dont even have a Citibank branch here????
Goolwa Place, Adelaide City you will find a Large citibank branch!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by Wayno » Tue May 05, 2009 1:01 pm

loud wrote: DAC is a politically independent body isn't it?
errr, yes...

*looks over shoulder to see if MIB are coming*
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#57 Post by Shuz » Tue May 05, 2009 3:40 pm

Their rejection is a sound decision. They've clearly observed the difference between good and bad development.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#58 Post by Just build it » Tue May 05, 2009 3:50 pm

I'm not usually on their side but I'm happy they gave this project a good serve. I fully agree that visually it looks like a slum before even being built and it has enough signs indicating it could actually become one. I can see a lot of 2 bedroom dogboxes converted to 8 bed hovels. As for the developers claimed wonderful views of the parklands, don't make me laugh. Most people will get a Hong Kong type view at best.

Revolting.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#59 Post by bm7500 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:29 pm

Just build it wrote:I'm not usually on their side but I'm happy they gave this project a good serve. I fully agree that visually it looks like a slum before even being built and it has enough signs indicating it could actually become one. I can see a lot of 2 bedroom dogboxes converted to 8 bed hovels. As for the developers claimed wonderful views of the parklands, don't make me laugh. Most people will get a Hong Kong type view at best.

Revolting.
Totally agree. The renders look like 3 big turds on the fringe of the CBD. Hardly appealing even under the guise of 'Student Accommodation' which seems to be increasingly used as a metaphore for 'Cheap & Nasty'.

As for AAL, I'm all for air safety etc etc, but give me a break! if an aircraft ended up being as low as 36m over West Terrace, then end result is still going to be ugly no matter how tall the buildings are.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#60 Post by monotonehell » Wed May 06, 2009 12:27 am

Regarding people's comments on the AAL height concerns. Please understand that there's a lot more to air traffic safety than just where planes fly. The height restrictions on West Tce are to do with the air traffic control systems and radar imaging. That's not to say that it's impossible to change those height restrictions, you just have to appreciate the technological reasons behind the restrictions and not post ignorant things like "a plane doesn't fly that low".

I wish I could find the thread where we posted all the research on this we did last year. Wayno? Little help?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.