[CAN] City West Campus Apartments | 30m | 10lvls | Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] City West Campus Apartments | 30m | 10lvls | Apartments

#1 Post by Ben » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:44 am

Hi All, Hope you all had a great Christmas and New year. This is my first post for a few weeks.

New development adjacent City West just off North terrace for 9 Level Apartment Building.

Developer is ECON Property Group.
Type: Development Application Received
Application Number: DA/1048/2008
Lodgement Date: 22/12/2008
Description: Construct 9 level building comprising 108 apartments with ground floor retail tenancies and associated car parking.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Re: #PRO | 11-21 Liverpool Street | ~35m | 9 Lvls | Apartments

#2 Post by AtD » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Thanks Ben. I'm surprised these aren't student apartments, given the location. But student apartments don't have car parks!

I've taken a guess as to the location being an empty lot currently being used as a car park, next to the City West campus.
http://buildinglist.photoadelaide.com/M ... maploc=145

Pistol
Legendary Member!

[CAN] Re: #PRO | 11-21 Liverpool Street | ~35m | 9 Lvls | Apartments

#3 Post by Pistol » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:03 am

If that is the block then that is the Riviera hotel carpark.
This has student accommodation written all over it - 12 apartments on each floor.
Plus the location across the road from the uni.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Re: #PRO: 11-21 Liverpool Street | ~30m | 9 Lvls | Apartments

#4 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:24 pm

http://www.econgroup.com.au/citwes.php

City West Campus Apartments
11-21 Liverpool Street, Adelaide

Superbly located in the Adelaide CBD next to the University of South Australia City West Campus and adjacent to the new Royal Adelaide Hospital site.

The development comprises of 108 quality 1 & 2 bedrooom apartments with private balconies over 9 levels.

Ground floor facilities include gymnasium, indoor pool and spa together with vibrant café and shops. Ample basement secure car parking provided with provisions for bicycle & motorcycle parks.

Sustainable development techniques have been implemented in every aspect of the design ensuring the best possible living environment for occupants.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by frank1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:31 pm

eh...just looks like the apartments on the old john martins building

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Pistol » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:41 pm

I have a feeling this will have a lot of issues getting approved.
Firstly look at the overshadowing of the row cottages this backs onto. There would also be privacy issues there as well.

Not a bad design - just a run of the mill boxy design but nevertheless somewhat interesting.
I never thought that uni students would require indoor pools and spas.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by AtD » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:46 pm

Looks very good. I love the green facade feature they've incorporated - I wonder what the materials are? I love the colours too, they're a refreshing break from the standard earth tones and glass we get in Adelaide. It looks like it'll have a very active street frontage with adequate shelter for the footpath. Going on those renders, two thumbs up.

Frank: It looks the same in the context they both have walls, windows and a roof? Amazing.

Pistol: I don't think this is aimed at students, but yes, I expect to see some token protests from local residents. Going by Google Maps, there's only two or three cottages that actually have yards.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Re: #PRO: City West Campus Apartments | ~30m | 9 Lvls

#8 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:21 pm

I could be wrong but it looks like any privacy issues with the cottages are solved by that large blank wall with the patchwork pattern on it?

If they "activate the pedestrian zone" like they show this should do well being at the end of one of UniSA's landscaped pedestrian malls between the art building and ... the one with the tute rooms in it... >.>

I likey.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#9 Post by Omicron » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:21 am

monotonehell wrote:I could be wrong but it looks like any privacy issues with the cottages are solved by that large blank wall with the patchwork pattern on it?

If they "activate the pedestrian zone" like they show this should do well being at the end of one of UniSA's landscaped pedestrian malls between the art building and ... the one with the tute rooms in it... >.>

I likey.
I wish them luck. That end of UniSA is completely separated from the rest of the campus by the new Hawke Building repeating all the same mistakes as its predecessor. It permanently removed the option for a full-length courtyard linking the western buildings to the more lively (I use the term loosely :wink: ) eastern end, ensuring the route from east to west requires diverting around other buildings and hence is only ever traversed by the few people who need to go there - that is, no casual foot traffic. Because the westernmost UniSA buildings are largely made up of offices and computer pools (with token tutorial rooms thrown in as afterthoughts), and the little courtyard is so dark, cold and uninviting, it's always impossibly dead - a coffee cart lasted all of a month or two back in 2007, for example. I'd imagine there's little hope of attracting sufficient numbers to support a 'vibrant cafe', especially when the mindset of UniSA students is, justifiably so, to leave campus as soon as official business is complete and head for Hindley or Rundle Mall.

Despite my (powerful) dislike of the Hawke Building, the floor-to-ceiling windows just outside the lift on the top floor give stunning views of Adelaide's density from an angle not often seen. In fact, City West as a whole has some very unique angles of town - being noticeably downhill from KWS, many buildings look taller than normal, and everything looks a little more 'industrial' than usual.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by monotonehell » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:29 pm

Omicron wrote:
monotonehell wrote:I could be wrong but it looks like any privacy issues with the cottages are solved by that large blank wall with the patchwork pattern on it?

I likey.
I wish them luck. That end of UniSA is completely separated from the rest of the campus by the new Hawke Building repeating all the same mistakes as its predecessor. It permanently removed the option for a full-length courtyard linking the western buildings to the more lively (I use the term loosely :wink: ) eastern end, ensuring the route from east to west requires diverting around other buildings and hence is only ever traversed by the few people who need to go there - that is, no casual foot traffic. Because the westernmost UniSA buildings are largely made up of offices and computer pools (with token tutorial rooms thrown in as afterthoughts), and the little courtyard is so dark, cold and uninviting, it's always impossibly dead - a coffee cart lasted all of a month or two back in 2007, for example. I'd imagine there's little hope of attracting sufficient numbers to support a 'vibrant cafe', especially when the mindset of UniSA students is, justifiably so, to leave campus as soon as official business is complete and head for Hindley or Rundle Mall.

Despite my (powerful) dislike of the Hawke Building, the floor-to-ceiling windows just outside the lift on the top floor give stunning views of Adelaide's density from an angle not often seen. In fact, City West as a whole has some very unique angles of town - being noticeably downhill from KWS, many buildings look taller than normal, and everything looks a little more 'industrial' than usual.
It's not quite like that anymore. In terms of pedestrian space at least (The Hawke Centre is horrid I agree).

There are two pedestrian malls bisecting the UniSA campus there. One that runs N-S and one E-W. There's already a cafe` ran by a commercial interest (ie not subsidised by the student association -- Howard saw to that).

Green = pedestrian malls
Red = Cafe`
Orange = Proposed development site
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Ben » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:21 am

ACC are expected to grant support for this project at Monday's upcoming DAP meeting. The DAC will assess this project in the next few months.

More renders here:

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/Netc ... Part_1.pdf

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Re: #PRO: City West Campus Apartments | 30m | 10 Lvls

#12 Post by Ben » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:15 am

This development is expected to recieve approval at Thursdays DAC meeting.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by AtD » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:01 am

Having a closer look at the plans posted by Ben (I must have missed those) I must say I quite like the look of this development. It's quite an interesting design and will help a lot in adding life to the west end. The site only has a street on one side and they use it well.There will be three retail tenants and an internet cafe directly on Liverpool Street. Thumbs up for an active street front.

Although I'm still perplexed by the car park. It looks to be all tiny student apartments yet there's three levels of underground parking. I don't think it's public casual parking as the ramp down is just one lane wide. With underground parking the most expensive type to build, I wonder why they bothered.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Will » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:11 pm

AtD wrote:Having a closer look at the plans posted by Ben (I must have missed those) I must say I quite like the look of this development. It's quite an interesting design and will help a lot in adding life to the west end. The site only has a street on one side and they use it well.There will be three retail tenants and an internet cafe directly on Liverpool Street. Thumbs up for an active street front.

Although I'm still perplexed by the car park. It looks to be all tiny student apartments yet there's three levels of underground parking. I don't think it's public casual parking as the ramp down is just one lane wide. With underground parking the most expensive type to build, I wonder why they bothered.
The proposed building will be built at a site which currently serves as the carpark for the Adelaide Riviera Hotel. Hence I believe that the carpark is intended to be used for the guests of the hotel.

Indeed, the building will contain 50 carparks. The building will have a total of 112 apartments, of which 100 are one-bedroom student apartments which are not allocated a carpark, and 12 two bedroom apartments which are allocated 1 carpark. The remaining 36 unnalocated carparks are intended for use by the Adelaide Riviera Hotel.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by AtD » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Thanks Will. That all makes sense, except for the "Riviera" bit. :mrgreen: