[COM] Rundle Street Streetscape Upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: PRO: Rundle Street Upgrade

#136 Post by Omicron » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:35 pm

Mind you, if that vine grows anything like ours used to, come Sunday the whole thing will be covered.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#137 Post by Matt » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:10 am

Whoa... I'm sorry I asked. That is grim.
The sooner it's covered/concealed by vines (or anything for that matter), the better.

I did have a quick look at the website of the designer and a lot of their work is actually really good. Here's hoping they know something we don't with this, because this seems to have missed the mark.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#138 Post by mattblack » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:17 am

Pants wrote: It's like a lot of the ACC-driven street art that's around the place and a lot of their splash Adelaide initiatives, they just miss the mark of being contemporary or alternatively, a good kind of retro and look thrown together, but at the same time, inorganic.
You have to remember that these are all seen as experiments by the ACC and are not permenant installations. Its a way of gauging the viability of ideas without spending alot of money on infrastructure costs. I went to the showing of Fahrenheit 451 last night at the Library and it had a really good vibe, about 70-80 people there. Its not about having one massive plan (It would take way to long to come together) its more about lots of smaller progects coming together over time that will add to the cities vibrancy. Its also the first year so give it time, I personally think its a great initiatve.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#139 Post by Pants » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:51 am

Absolutely agree, it's a great initiative and at this stage, when it's in its trial stages, it's hard and perhaps a bit unfair to be critical.

I just feel like their attempts at being a bit off-beat etc come across as contrived. They don't need a master plan as such, but do need to think about it more without looking like they've over-thought it, if that makes sense. Still, it's a good thing and will hopefully find its groove, when it becomes more permanent.

As ever, Melbourne's a great example. The development of its lane-ways has happened over time, so the graffiti and crates for seats etc have grown into the streetscape and don't look like they've just been dumped somewhere. It'll happen here too and it'll be a great thing when it does.

Omicron

#140 Post by Omicron » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:28 pm

I saw this new-fangled arbour whatsit on the weekend, and it seems fine to me.

Not for $35,000, however. Dear lord.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#141 Post by AtD » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:54 pm

It seems to me that most public works are $1 for the parts, $5 for the labour, $5 for the planning, approvals and related paperwork and $5 for insurance, WorkCover etc.

Nort

#142 Post by Nort » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:37 pm

$35,000 does seem expensive, but as AtD points out there are a lot more to costs for this type of thing than just buying a few metal bars.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#143 Post by serca » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:50 pm

That is going to look great!!! Just quietly I think 35k for the project is justified when you break down all of the expenses from Design to Installation ... :D

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#144 Post by Pants » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:09 pm

So... you designed and/or constructed it then?

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

#145 Post by Adelarch » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:27 pm

35K doesn't look completely crazy to me, if that includes design, fabrication and installation costs. In my experience people tend to instantly compare these things with something they’d wack up in their backyard over a weekend, but in reality all sorts of extra costs need to be factored into the equation by virtue of the location in a public place and the need to conform to more rigorous structural and other standards as a result (eg engineering certifications, various insurances, traffic management plans during construction). The fact that this is a bespoke design rather than off-the-shelf adds to these costs, although having said that I think you’ll find that even an off the shelf shelter or arbor structure designed for the public domain is not going to cost too much less by the time you add in all these other extras.

As for the design, not sold on it from the photos but in time the vines may soften it somewhat, although wondering how easy it will be for vines to get established in this location given the heat from the shiny reflective metal of the structure.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#146 Post by Just build it » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:53 pm

Excuse my ignorance but I haven't seen this in the flesh yet, only the photos. Is it just the curved poles or is there more to it?

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#147 Post by RayRichards » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:05 pm

Reminds me of the upper framework of a theme park ride.......

The only thing to get a buzz happening Rundle Street without resorting to illegal substances, is more stencil wall and pavement art and decent street performers. Any of these fixtures is like lipstick on a pig.

Concentrating on the old synagogue lane area into an London 'Back Lane style' project would work.

Ray.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#148 Post by Wayno » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:39 pm

The Rundle St Arbour has these odd dangly bits - do they serve a purpose? or perhaps just artistic expression?
wtf3.jpg
wtf3.jpg (97.13 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
wtf4.jpg
wtf4.jpg (134.66 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
wtf1.jpg
wtf1.jpg (277.42 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
pikkies are from indaily.com.au
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#149 Post by mutt » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:11 pm

they almost look like vaginas with something stuffed inside

almost :)

sorry for bringing heterosexuality to this forum :P

Nathan

#150 Post by Nathan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:38 pm

mutt wrote:they almost look like vaginas with something stuffed inside

almost :)

sorry for bringing heterosexuality to this forum :P
It's to match the sculptures in the windows of Haan Ssie at the other end or Rundle St ;)