[APP] 51 Pirie Street | 94m | 21 Levels | Hyatt

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
yousername
High Rise Poster!

[APP] Re: PRO: 51 Pirie Street | 22 levels | ~115m | Office

#136 Post by yousername » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:20 am

Fuck off. It's passable. But already outdated.
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#137 Post by AtD » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:27 am

Very let down. I was a big fan of the sleek finish, the diagonals and the huge atrium on Gawler Pl. Now it's just a regular office block on stilts.

What was to be a great frontage onto Gawler Pl is now an empty space interrupted by giant concrete columns. Lets hope at least they put a coffee shop there.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#138 Post by Isiskii » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:51 am

Ice-cream at Foodland for $3.20, did you say?

Matt
Legendary Member!

#139 Post by Matt » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:09 am

Fucking awful.

What was a brilliant demonstration of how to merge heritage and contemporary design, is now yet another unimaginative, ugly glass box, but this time on stilts, squatting over the building beneath.

Hopes dashed, yet again.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#140 Post by Wayno » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:41 am

Did someone just suggest masse emailing the architect/builder to let them know the difference between beauty and ugly? maybe they missed that day of training in arkitektural skool. sigh
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#141 Post by Aidan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:56 pm

AtD wrote:Very let down. I was a big fan of the sleek finish, the diagonals and the huge atrium on Gawler Pl. Now it's just a regular office block on stilts.

What was to be a great frontage onto Gawler Pl is now an empty space interrupted by giant concrete columns. Lets hope at least they put a coffee shop there.
Why are you still hoping it gets built?

I will be lodging a written representation with the DAC once it goes to formal public notification. I kept quiet about it this time as there seemed to be a consensus that its architectural merit was more important to Adelaide's future than a good public transport system, but now you know it would just be an uninspiring office block, I hope you will support me.

My representation will concentrate on transport issues. You, or someone else here, could write one on architectural issues. If you still have the picture of Shuz's version, maybe you could include it to show how good the architecture could be :sly:
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#142 Post by mattblack » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:29 pm

Im going against consensus here and say that I like it. Maybe not more than the original but not alot less. Much more active street frontage for pedestrians along Gawler Place which is what everyone is asking for, good mix of building materials and finishes and more of a 'human scale' facade along Gawler Place instead of a sheer glass wall. Hey its not fifty stories but still good bulk to be adding in.

Xaragmata

#143 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:23 pm

mattblack wrote:Im going against consensus here and say that I like it. Maybe not more than the original but not alot less. Much more active street frontage for pedestrians along Gawler Place which is what everyone is asking for, good mix of building materials and finishes and more of a 'human scale' facade along Gawler Place instead of a sheer glass wall. Hey its not fifty stories but still good bulk to be adding in.
I can see the plus of the new design that it will (apparently) be built in the airspace above the Gawler Pl footpath, which will be considerably widened with the demolition of the existing "add-on" building. May not be the best looking, but should make walking along Gawler Pl easier.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#144 Post by Pants » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:43 pm

It's not THAT bad. It's just not that good.

Nort

#145 Post by Nort » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:45 pm

It's not a fantastic landmark building like the original concept, but it's still a decent building in its own right.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#146 Post by iTouch » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:26 am

This is going to sound really REALLY NIMBY but, I'd actually rather this building not be built. Is it just me or does it "belittle" the heritage building it's built off of? I don't know :?
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

metro
Legendary Member!

#147 Post by metro » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:34 am

oh for fucks sake!!!!!!!!! i knew the original proposal would never go ahead, it was too good for Adelaide. Instead we've been tossed some reject design that feels only ordinary, seriously, i also dont like to sound like a NIMBY but i would hate to see that piece of shit, latest design, to go ahead :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#148 Post by monotonehell » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:13 am

iTouch(myself) wrote:This is going to sound really REALLY NIMBY but, I'd actually rather this building not be built. Is it just me or does it "belittle" the heritage building it's built off of? I don't know :?
All that's left of that heritage building is its façade. The '70's carbuncle that was built behind and to the side of it wears it like a mask.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#149 Post by Isiskii » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:05 am

Okay, now that I've finished my ice-cream, $3.20 out of pocket, and slightly a little bit chubbier in the belly...
Pants wrote:It's not THAT bad. It's just not that good.
I have to agree with this comment; whilst it is a downgrade from what was previously proposed, it's actually not that bad. Better than some of the other proposals going around the city at the moment.

I do like the idea of the building being built above the airspace of the Gawler Street footpath. I think this is the sort of good design which will stimulate pedestrian activity in and throughout the area and activate those street frontages which most of us unanimously agree that the city needs more of.

And before Aidan hijacks the thread with four pages worth about how this will ruin his vision for an underground subway - should I note and summarize in one short, sharp quick post, that the design of the building would actually favor the feasibility of such a vision than negate it.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#150 Post by mattblack » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:14 am

And before Aidan hijacks the thread with four pages worth about how this will ruin his vision for an underground subway - should I note and summarize in one short, sharp quick post, that the design of the building would actually favor the feasibility of such a vision than negate it.
Now your putting the cat amongst the pigeons :)