[APP] 51 Pirie Street | 94m | 21 Levels | Hyatt

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[APP] Re: #PRO: 51 Pirie Street | 27 levels | 115m - Office

#61 Post by rev » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 am

The thing that I find most appealing about this proposal is that it does not look like the typical Adelaide office tower. It resembles something which would be found on the east coast.
Let's hope nothing or not too much is changed and this gets off the ground, because I think this will set a new benchmark for Adelaide even if it was under 100m.

I don't see why people are worried about the height. It is on the opposite side of the flight path compared to the existing 'talls cluster' so flight paths shouldn't be a problem you would think.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#62 Post by ricecrackers » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:19 pm

yeah in other words it looks like something you'd find in a proper city, rather than a pissant town.

i'd be surprised if it gets off the ground, considering the state of the economy, but i like the design.
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#63 Post by Ben » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:49 pm

Howie wrote:Originally posted by Culwulla of Skyscraper City.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... 99&page=74

Love this proposal. It may have a chance to proceed given that it will take another 6 months minimum (if is submitted in next couple of weeks) to even get approved.

Also is that 2 spires i see in the bottom right hand corner. if so this would easliy be a new tallest.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#64 Post by Splashmo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:56 pm

This is awesome. I like this so much more than the Currie "Heart of Glass". I hope it gets built.

russo92
Gold-Member ;)

#65 Post by russo92 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:14 pm

LOVE IT. Hope they build it, wouldn't it be excellent if it was made to be taller than westpac house?? I think 20 years is a decent time span to allow the next tallest building to be built (Clenched teeth) . Think this looks much more appealing than the currie st glass towe - whats going on with that anyway, on hiatus for a few yrs coz of economic crisis?? If so, might have to take it out of the logo, put in 51 pirie street!

Wish the goverment would grow a pair and build asap:
- Pirie Street tower
- majestic tower hindley st
- The spire, bentham
- Currie street tower

We need more appeal and diversity in our skyline,

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#66 Post by Brando » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:58 pm

russo92 wrote:
Wish the goverment would grow a pair and build asap:
- Pirie Street tower
- majestic tower hindley st
- The spire, bentham
- Currie street tower
Not really the governments call mate. They can only assist to a certain degree with tenants such as SAPOL & DTEI. Such a pre commitment to a development may see new towers go up.

Spire is a resi building and Majestic will be a hotel...All supply and demand required here too. So as you can see the reliance on the private sector is greater than that of the government.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#67 Post by Brando » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:02 pm

If this proposal is to be 'dumbed down' so to speak, i would hope that they multi level foyer entrance remains the same. I feel this is what truely makes this building striking and compliments the heritage building next door.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#68 Post by Omicron » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:24 am

I'm sorry. I have to repeat myself. This building is stunning, and it is absolutely deserving of being built in its current form. It doesn't have silly colours, protrusions or scribbles that will date in three seconds, it's elegantly simple, and it has a delightful, purposeful stance that incorporates that lovely old building without looking like a dreadful barnacle pathetically clinging on for dear life.

It could well be one of our few developments to be applauded in its own right, rather than demeaned with '....for an Adelaide building'.

Aidan

[APP] Re: #PRO: 51 Pirie Street | 27 levels | Office

#69 Post by Aidan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:35 am

Shuz wrote: The council better be very approving of this and sees to ensure a very smooth and streamlined process occurs for it to go through. I won't tolerate a single ounce of complaint if I hear of one.
Unfortunately I must strongly disagree with you. I will do everything I can to ensure it doesn't get built.

It's not the architecture. That's great, and I look forward to seeing a lot more of that kind of thing in Adelaide.

The problem is the location. A tall building on that spot would block the best route for a railway under the City, effectively keeping the City's streets snarled up with traffic for ever, and condemning rail to permanently keeping its market share in single figures.

As fantastic as this building is, an underground railway is more important than any Adelaide building, and I'm opposed to any development that would prevent one getting constructed.

And while It is technically possible to have both, provision for such a railway would make the foundations significantly more complicated and expensive, so the bank would be unlikely to agree in this economic climate.

This building is a threat to the future of Adelaide and must be opposed! But I hope they manage to build something similar elsewhere in the CBD.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#70 Post by Pistol » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:44 am

^^ Did I miss something :?:

BTW absolutely stunning building.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#71 Post by AtD » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:46 am

Drawing lines in MS Paint does not make you a transport engineer.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#72 Post by omada » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:43 am

Aidan:

Unfortunately I must strongly disagree with you. I will do everything I can to ensure it doesn't get built.

It's not the architecture. That's great, and I look forward to seeing a lot more of that kind of thing in Adelaide.

The problem is the location. A tall building on that spot would block the best route for a railway under the City, effectively keeping the City's streets snarled up with traffic for ever, and condemning rail to permanently keeping its market share in single figures.
Are you having a laff? Seriously ? An underground railway! HAHAHAHHA

Aidan

#73 Post by Aidan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:56 am

AtD wrote:Drawing lines in MS Paint does not make you a transport engineer.
Of course it doesn't, but a UniSA degree in Civil Engineering does.

I graduate this month.

omada wrote:Are you having a laff? Seriously ? An underground railway! HAHAHAHHA
I'm entirely serious. Adelaide is the biggest city in Australia without one, and with only a single station to serve the entire CBD (located on the edge of it) we're more in need of one than Melbourne ever was.

Not taking such a vital project seriously is an example of the mentality that Adelaide has to shake off if it's going to thrive.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Ho Really

#74 Post by Ho Really » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:17 am

Superb! Marvellous! Stunning! What Adelaide needs. Let's hope this gets off the ground sometime in the next 24 months (realistically). This is about Adelaide's maturity as a city, not its most important addition, but one that can take us to another level (no pun intended)!

I come down North Terrace, Kent Town a fair bit when heading to the city, so I get to see that part of the skyline protruding through the parklands. I always get this vision of the proposed 70-odd metre Planet site building filling up that section of sky between the trees, but if this one comes to fruition with its much better looks and height, we're really going to be blown away!

If (it goes ahead and) the economy picks up again in about 12 or so months I really hope the developers of the Planet site on Pirie Street think hard about lifting their building height to be atleast 95 metres so it can join the next level of buildings: the old SA Water House and the proposed Rundle Place tower, on the same meridian. Can only hope. :)

Cheers

P.S. As for Aidan and his underground railway, forget Pirie Street and Gawler Place. If there ever was going to be any Metro it would have been down King William Street or any of the much wider streets east or west.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#75 Post by Pikey » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:18 am

Well, that's a new one. Not wanting a tower to go ahead because of a hypothetical underground railway.

What's next, opposing towers in case cars start flying??
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |