[APP] 51 Pirie Street | 94m | 21 Levels | Hyatt

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[APP] Re: PRO: 51 Pirie Street | 22 levels | ~115m | Office

#151 Post by Aidan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:07 am

Isiskii wrote:And before Aidan hijacks the thread with four pages worth about how this will ruin his vision for an underground subway - should I note and summarize in one short, sharp quick post, that the design of the building would actually favor the feasibility of such a vision than negate it.
Please explain how you think obstructing the best available route for a subway with building foundations could make it more feasible?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Aidan

#152 Post by Aidan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:07 am

Isiskii wrote:And before Aidan hijacks the thread with four pages worth about how this will ruin his vision for an underground subway - should I note and summarize in one short, sharp quick post, that the design of the building would actually favor the feasibility of such a vision than negate it.
Please explain how you think obstructing the best available route for a subway with building foundations could make it more feasible?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#153 Post by Isiskii » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:59 pm

I'm not going to explain myself, because you'll take up four pages of dribble counteracting everything I say. So to spare everyone the nausea; you have your opinion and I have mine. Ta-dah!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#154 Post by AtD » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:54 pm

This is not a thread about subway fantasies.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#155 Post by jk1237 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:07 pm

I dont mind the new proposal, its kinda cool, its just that its no where near as good as the original

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#156 Post by iTouch » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:26 pm

AtD wrote:This is not a thread about subway fantasies.
nothing like a meatball sub with the lot and a rash of bacon :wink:
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

yousername
High Rise Poster!

#157 Post by yousername » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:34 am

iTouch(myself) wrote:
AtD wrote:This is not a thread about subway fantasies.
nothing like a meatball sub with the lot and a rash of bacon :wink:
:applause:
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#158 Post by SRW » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:11 am

The more I look at it the more I hate it. It's just a glass box on stilts. Same old upwards plot extension.

Why is Adelaide still copping buildings like this? The market is full of them -- surely by now there'd be enough incentive for developers to one-up the competition with some good design?
Keep Adelaide Weird

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#159 Post by spiller » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:51 am

The new proposal is...well...average. not daring, safe bet, enough to get by. 7 or 8 years ago, this would have been somewhat exciting for Adelaide...a new building! This is 2010, adelaide has enough of this, the CC development has done this TO DEATH. I wish they would push the envelope a little more and not just tease us with renders/propsals that, in-reality, were never going to be considered.

The latest render does not blend old with new very well, at all. It looks as if that giant fat thing on top is just dominating the heritage facade, making it its little bitch. There is "no coming together as one". I'm disappointed to read that people think "it's actually not that bad". Especially after seeing what it could have been. Has it come to this now, where we expect and accept no more than examples like this one?

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#160 Post by Pants » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:40 pm

As a stand alone proposal, it's better than most commercial towers that have gone up in the past decade or so. In comparison to what might have been, it's not so good.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be disappointed if the initial proposal never sees the light of day and this goes up, but I imagine that most of us would have been reasonably happy with the current proposal had we not seen the former by chance.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#161 Post by iTouch » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:14 pm

spiller wrote:The new proposal is...well...average. not daring, safe bet, enough to get by. 7 or 8 years ago, this would have been somewhat exciting for Adelaide...a new building! This is 2010, adelaide has enough of this, the CC development has done this TO DEATH. I wish they would push the envelope a little more and not just tease us with renders/propsals that, in-reality, were never going to be considered.

The latest render does not blend old with new very well, at all. It looks as if that giant fat thing on top is just dominating the heritage facade, making it its little bitch. There is "no coming together as one". I'm disappointed to read that people think "it's actually not that bad". Especially after seeing what it could have been. Has it come to this now, where we expect and accept no more than examples like this one?
I totally agree with all of this but I believe it's mainly the things in bold that are its downfall.
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

Ho Really

#162 Post by Ho Really » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:34 pm

Like I said in a previous post: the first design with the exterior diagonal framework wasn't the most original, as there are similar looking buildings elsewhere in the world, however the new design, although not a complete flop, is too similar to other designs already proposed for the CBD. I think the architects have looked at greening the building further. Also as Will mentioned, they have extended the building back along Gawler Place (filling the empty space and entry to underground carpark presently there). Height-wise, I doubt it will be 115 metres as suggested earlier. I think it will end up around the 105 metre mark. I am disappointed again that we've lost an icon. I think Adelaide has a lot to answer. Boohoo.

Cheers

PS. I would really be interested to hear from anyone interstate what they thought of the change in design. I think that would give us an indication what we have lost. Thoughts?
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#163 Post by Ho Really » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:42 pm

spiller wrote:...The latest render does not blend old with new very well, at all. It looks as if that giant fat thing on top is just dominating the heritage facade, making it its little bitch. There is "no coming together as one". I'm disappointed to read that people think "it's actually not that bad". Especially after seeing what it could have been. Has it come to this now, where we expect and accept no more than examples like this one?
I agree. It does not blend in any way. Maybe someone will notice this and there will be a further change (returning to the first design...). :mrgreen:

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

skyliner

#164 Post by skyliner » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Ho Really wrote:Like I said in a previous post: the first design with the exterior diagonal framework wasn't the most original, as there are similar looking buildings elsewhere in the world, however the new design, although not a complete flop, is too similar to other designs already proposed for the CBD. I think the architects have looked at greening the building further. Also as Will mentioned, they have extended the building back along Gawler Place (filling the empty space and entry to underground carpark presently there). Height-wise, I doubt it will be 115 metres as suggested earlier. I think it will end up around the 105 metre mark. I am disappointed again that we've lost an icon. I think Adelaide has a lot to answer. Boohoo.

Cheers

PS. I would really be interested to hear from anyone interstate what they thought of the change in design. I think that would give us an indication what we have lost. Thoughts?
HO really - Bris has in the past bitten the bullet with more adeventurous designs - but then it is over 2m in pop and this carries economic expenses more readily taken in bldg design (bigger market). HOWEVER, in the current market New buildings are 'blander' and fewer with it. (also exacurbated by the GFC and the coal industry facing 30% tax as well as the carbon trading issue).

I personally think the current design is OK - nothing to rave about. It doesn't seem to integrate well with the older bldg at all. Looks quite long - like 400 KWS. The earlier one was a great design, but not an uncommon one in other cities. Seems lower also.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Omicron

#165 Post by Omicron » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:27 pm

OHAI SO I MADE U GUISE A PROPOSAL FOR MY NEW BILDINGZ!!!11!one!1!!eleven!11!!