[APP] 51 Pirie Street | 94m | 21 Levels | Hyatt

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[APP] Re: #PRO: 51 Pirie Street | 27 levels | Office

#31 Post by Will » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:38 pm

So this appears to be more genuine than what I initially thought! :D

This building would do wonders for Adelaide. As such it is an opportunity we cannot afford to let go to waste.

The major obstacle I see for this building is that at 30 000sqm2 it would require at least 21 000sqm2 pre-commited for it to go ahead. And at the moment I do not think there is such a major client in the Adelaide office market. As such the state government should stimulate the local economy by pre-commiting to move the education department from its current HQ at the corner of Flinders Street and Gawler Place to this building. Such a move would create jobs and leave behind a landmark tower to recharge optimism in our city.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#32 Post by Shuz » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:45 pm

Well, how much precommitment is usually required before construction can commence? 70% or so?

If this is 30,000sqm, 21,000sqm is a safe figure. Compare that to the 20-22 Currie project, which for a 44,000sqm tower would have needed 31,000sqm pre-commitment - the equivalent office space of this one. I think this will easily be able to secure a tenant or two with the lower threshold of precommitment required.

The council better be very approving of this and sees to ensure a very smooth and streamlined process occurs for it to go through. I won't tolerate a single ounce of complaint if I hear of one.

Has anyone got a confirmed height? I'll send an email over to find out...

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by Will » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:48 pm

Shuz wrote:Well, how much precommitment is usually required before construction can commence? 70% or so?

If this is 30,000sqm, 21,000sqm is a safe figure. Compare that to the 20-22 Currie project, which for a 44,000sqm tower would have needed 31,000sqm pre-commitment - the equivalent office space of this one. I think this will easily be able to secure a tenant or two with the lower threshold of precommitment required.

The council better be very approving of this and sees to ensure a very smooth and streamlined process occurs for it to go through. I won't tolerate a single ounce of complaint if I hear of one.

Has anyone got a confirmed height? I'll send an email over to find out...
A few years ago, back in the good old days only 30% was required. Today the minimum is 70%.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by stumpjumper » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:56 pm

Looks like one of my favourite buildings - the John Hancock centre in Chicago.

Here's an ounce of complaint, Schuz.

IMHO the 600mm thick facade of the previous building on the site, stuck onto the glass facade f the new building, is a joke. It should either not be there at all, or be part of a 12 metre or so deep podium level.

BTW, if you won't 'tolerate a single ounce of complaint' and demand a smooth progress through council for this proposal, I'd like to know what you consider to be the ideal planning process.

No planning legislation at all, with the Property Council to design the city, even if it meant denying representation to but still taxing residentail owners?

I'd be interested t hear, seriously.

As I said, I think that 'heritage stick-on' is bullshit. Either retain a decent proportion f the older building, or scrap it. As it is, the old building compromises the sleek modernity if the new design, like putting Model T Ford wheels on a Ford GT40, just for the sake of heritage.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by AtD » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:22 pm

Shuz wrote:The council better be very approving of this...
If this is actually submitted for approval, would the Council actually have any say?

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by UrbanSG » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:00 pm

Well this is a very nice surprise.

However nothing has officially been announced and it hasn't even been submitted as a DA.

I am guessing this was probably designed near the end of the boom when everyone seemed to want to ride the office development bandwagon. If it has been designed post boom and during the GFC then maybe it has a chance as there could be some sort of potential pre-commitment behind the scenes. However it could easily be a proposal that never gets off the ground or waist until the next cycle.

I agree this building would do wonders for Adelaide but I am not sure if it will occur in the near future. It sure does look tall there almost the same height as Westpac but difficult to tell.

AtD the DAC would assess the proposal, the ACC would only provide comment not an actual decision.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#37 Post by Pikey » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:02 pm

Can anybody say "New Bank SA/Westpac headquarters"

:wink:
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#38 Post by dsriggs » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:08 pm

BUILD IT!!!!!

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#39 Post by Briggzy_03 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:35 pm

I like this even more than the Currie st. tower! :D

I hope there's a possibility this will be proposed, approved and built in the near future... it would be a great addition to our skyline.

It would come close to the same height as the Westpac House, 4 levels less, so maybe around 120 metres...?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#40 Post by AtD » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:43 pm

This is what would be demolished.

Win win.

jayjay
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#41 Post by jayjay » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:25 pm

This is more than exciting, and there is something about the character of the building that evokes a really strong emotion from me.

Instead of saying the expected; "oh Adelaide will never build this here" we should instead get behind the design and put pressure on the ACC who will make the decision on this capital works..

Do people know when this is going to Council for consideration? If we do, and its open (not quite familiar with the process) couldn't we go and provide our support??? I am in!

Optismitically - Can not wait to be traveling up the esculator to the lobby!! :D

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#42 Post by Norman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:49 am

I thought the council has nothing to do with approving developments anymore...

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#43 Post by Paulns » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:04 pm

Norman wrote:I thought the council has nothing to do with approving developments anymore...
Any project above $10 million I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong..
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#44 Post by Shuz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Yeah, that's right; all projects over $10m worth within the ACC district are now automatically referred to the State Government DAC. They will definetly be much more approving of this (height-wise, definetly) than the ACC ever will be. Can't believe this fact still slips my mind every time.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by aceman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:10 pm

haha, the building in the google maps image above is the building that my missus works in! How ironic.