News & Discussion: CBD Living

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

News & Discussion: CBD Living

#1 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:32 pm

I remember there being talk in a thread a while ago about the requirements for bicycle storage in new city residential developments, but can't for the life of me find it (Search hasn't help). Does anyone recall where it was (or at least, know the requirements)?

Cheers.

(Mods: feel free to move the thread if it's more appropriate elsewhere)

Pistol
Legendary Member!

Re: Bike storage in city developments

#2 Post by Pistol » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:22 pm

When I lived in Bent Street Apartments there were 8 bike racks supplied in the car park. Ha pretty funny for an apartment building of 100 apartments...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Nathan

#3 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:30 pm

I could dream of 8 bike racks. I'm on Halifax St, and our apartments have 0 bike racks (and a by-law prohibiting taking bikes into your apartment, as well as in the lift or in any common space barring the carpark). Which is my reason for asking this. (I'm sure there's a minimum requirement for new apartment buildings, which they're obviously not meeting).

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by AtD » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:57 pm

Nathan, it might be a good idea to put that very question to Clr David Plumridge. He mostly watches this thread: http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... &start=705

We recently asked him a similar question about car park requirements and he was full of information.

fast_forward
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by fast_forward » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:43 am

From memory, I think the current requirement is 1 bicycle space for each apartment under 150m2 and 2 spaces for each apartment over 150m2. Plus 1 visitor bicycle space per 10 apartments.

Nathan

#6 Post by Nathan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:49 am

Oh wow. Do you know when those requirements were brought in fast_forward? My building is 4 years old, so still relatively new - but maybe not new enough.

And thanks AtD, good idea to ask David. I'll send him an email or message about it.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Pistol » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:36 am

The bike racks in Bent St Apts were only placed there after we raised the concern with our strata management group.
I think your best bet is to go through the strata manager.
I mean that is why you pay the huge sums quarterly. You would think that if you aren't allowed bikes in the lifts, apartments etc that is a pretty reasonable compromise.
After all you are a stakeholder in the building

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by Pistol » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:39 am

Are you getting the bike spaces and carparking spaces regulations mixed up fast_forward?
That would mean they would need 117 bike spaces in the Bent Street Apartments.
Can't see that happening.

Nathan

#9 Post by Nathan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:48 am

It's something I have brought up with the strata, but was told that even though the issue has come up a few times, they never relax by-laws (or seems, even question them). They'll mention something to the management committee but "space is a premium". The insinuation is why can't I just do what others have done - which is to lock it up to this dirty low bar along the wall in the carpark, that's a mount for the fluro lights...

I figure if I can respond with some actual requirements, that might push them to actually doing something about it.

Omicron

#10 Post by Omicron » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:53 pm

No wonder many people tend towards purchasing Torrens-titled residences over strata-titled ones, in an attempt to avoid the tiresome bureaucracy associated with the most simple of things.

Nathan

#11 Post by Nathan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:18 pm

David has kindly passed on the development plan, which includes that current bicycle parking provisions (adopted in 2006).

For residential buildings - it's 1 for every dwelling/apartment with a total floor area less than 150 square metres; 2 for every dwelling/apartment with a total floor area greater than 150 square metres; and 1 for every 10 dwellings for visitors.

Obviously my building was built before 2006, so would be under the previous plan - whether or not that included similar provisions for bikes, is now the question.

But good to see they are at least in place now.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:50 pm

Nathan wrote:I could dream of 8 bike racks. I'm on Halifax St, and our apartments have 0 bike racks (and a by-law prohibiting taking bikes into your apartment, as well as in the lift or in any common space barring the carpark). Which is my reason for asking this. (I'm sure there's a minimum requirement for new apartment buildings, which they're obviously not meeting).
hmmm, keep nagging your strata caus thats not good if your cant store it anywhere. Is there room at all in your carpark space?

Very true Omicron, my strata is overun by a complete loser who thinks he's the village policeman and blocked every request for anything simply caus he can. He is a horrible man with no life who spies on everyone coming and going (including me) almost 24 hours a day. He was voted off the comittee at the last AGM which was most amusing, but now he's worse than ever, caus he reckons he will take the strata company to court for being voted off :lol: :lol: :lol: Ahhhh the fun of a strata.

fast_forward
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#13 Post by fast_forward » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Pistol wrote:Are you getting the bike spaces and carparking spaces regulations mixed up fast_forward?
That would mean they would need 117 bike spaces in the Bent Street Apartments.
Can't see that happening.
Im sure. The carparking requirements are:
No car space needs to be provided for apartments under 75m2, and 1 space needs to be provided for each apartment over 75m2. Then I think the visitor parking requirement is 1 space for every 8 apartments.
Developers can get away with providing less depending on the location of the development and its proximity to public transport.

The good thing happening at the moment is that developers are being pushed to add bicycle parking in all types of buildings because it gives points if the developers are aiming to get Green Star Certification. You should check out some of the things the Green Building Council is trying to do. http://www.gbca.org.au/