News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
User avatar
AndyWelsh
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:44 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 574 times

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#616 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:16 pm

Gawler Place is just about complete.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpol03
Legendary Member!
Posts: 702
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 am
Has thanked: 325 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#617 Post by Mpol03 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:50 pm

So long as they look after the green, then this looks pretty good.

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2700
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 707 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#618 Post by SRW » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:16 am

I'm glad for it and hope to see a similar treatment one day applied to the full length of Gawler Place. It's a much enhanced entrance to the Mall, especially once the trees mature.

But there are few design choices that niggle me. For one, the hanging garden 'arbours' -- IIRC, we got these rather than further trees so as to keep that section more amenable to pop up events. But the street furnishings kinda interfere with that anyway. So, while they may be cool and trendy in principle, in reality the arbours are kinda inadequate and underwhelming in a space more actual trees would have done better.

Also, kinda puzzled why the tree pits are exposed top soil as opposed to being covered, unless they're soon to be further planted with shrubbery.
Keep Adelaide Weird

User avatar
Joelmark
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:03 am
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#619 Post by Joelmark » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:41 am

SRW wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:16 am
I'm glad for it and hope to see a similar treatment one day applied to the full length of Gawler Place. It's a much enhanced entrance to the Mall, especially once the trees mature.

But there are few design choices that niggle me. For one, the hanging garden 'arbours' -- IIRC, we got these rather than further trees so as to keep that section more amenable to pop up events. But the street furnishings kinda interfere with that anyway. So, while they may be cool and trendy in principle, in reality the arbours are kinda inadequate and underwhelming in a space more actual trees would have done better.

Also, kinda puzzled why the tree pits are exposed top soil as opposed to being covered, unless they're soon to be further planted with shrubbery.
I think that's all very fair - I also thought they could have planted a few more trees where the arbour structure is.
However to give credit to the ACC they have actually planted around 15 new trees along this relatively short stretch, and like Rundle Mall, in a few years' time this will all look very green and much shadier.
Andy Welsh's pictures remind me too of how great this northern central portion of the Adelaide CBD is looking - from Rundle Street and East Terrace, Frome Street and then right through Rundle Mall, and then the new Kintore Avenue Memorial Walk and parts of North Terrace - years of constant upgrading to pavements, more trees etc. are making a big difference.
Hopefully in the next few years we can sort out central Grenfell and Currie Streets, and green the main part of Hindley to link up with Hindley St West.

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2962
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#620 Post by rhino » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:13 am

Bentham Street please. The renders looked really good but very little has happened since.
cheers,
Rhino

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 1138 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#621 Post by Ho Really » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:14 am

The arbours are a waste of time and money. Very little shade. We need as much shade as possible not arty fixtures that hold plants that are hard to water and maintain. Let's be serious!

As for the line of trees in the middle of Gawler Place at the intersection of North Terrace what purpose do they serve? Taking away two complete lanes for traffic coming in and out of the car park! People already struggled to get out of that car park before and now it will be mayhem. Granted if all cars ran on electricity or hydrogen there wouldn't be any pollution but imagine sitting in your car waiting to get out of that car park with all the fumes. I have and it is not enjoyable. I reckon all of this is a fail. Trees should be planted where people will sit. Give them shade. The more the better as our summers are getting longer and hotter. Place shrubs if you really want in median strips but don't narrow lanes to choke traffic at car parks. If you don't want car parks get rid of them first from the city. Then make the CBD into a giant mall with all the fancy BS arbours and not trees! Then you can also get rid of shoppers too and they'll all go to to suburbs where they'll have undercover parking and covered from the elements and heat. Get the pic?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2655
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:26 pm
Has thanked: 1252 times
Been thanked: 280 times

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#622 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Somebody's a bit over triggered.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1273
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 280 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#623 Post by Nort » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:14 am
The arbours are a waste of time and money. Very little shade. We need as much shade as possible not arty fixtures that hold plants that are hard to water and maintain. Let's be serious!

As for the line of trees in the middle of Gawler Place at the intersection of North Terrace what purpose do they serve? Taking away two complete lanes for traffic coming in and out of the car park! People already struggled to get out of that car park before and now it will be mayhem. Granted if all cars ran on electricity or hydrogen there wouldn't be any pollution but imagine sitting in your car waiting to get out of that car park with all the fumes. I have and it is not enjoyable. I reckon all of this is a fail. Trees should be planted where people will sit. Give them shade. The more the better as our summers are getting longer and hotter. Place shrubs if you really want in median strips but don't narrow lanes to choke traffic at car parks. If you don't want car parks get rid of them first from the city. Then make the CBD into a giant mall with all the fancy BS arbours and not trees! Then you can also get rid of shoppers too and they'll all go to to suburbs where they'll have undercover parking and covered from the elements and heat. Get the pic?

Cheers
For reference:
AndyWelsh wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:16 pm
Image
So there's a lane in and a lane out, seems pretty reasonable to me and the trees both provide shade and greenery along with being a nice indicator to drivers that they are entering a shared space.

User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Has thanked: 213 times
Been thanked: 685 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#624 Post by Nathan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Yep, no issues with the trees in the middle. They make a far far better entrance from North Tce.

The criticism of the arbor is fair, I was just walking past it and it gives almost no shade. If there were wires across for vines to grow across it might be another story, but as it is, there's no potential for it to improve. It also seems pretty disconnected. I wonder if a more ambitious option would have been a longer one that joins up with the larger canopy?

The general streetscapes are good and it does all feel far more pedestrian friendly. The blank wall alongside H&M is more pronounced now though, and I hope Chemist Warehouse on the south side don't make a habit of lining the road with empty cardboard boxes like they were doing today.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1916
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 261 times

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#625 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:14 am
The arbours are a waste of time and money. Very little shade. We need as much shade as possible not arty fixtures that hold plants that are hard to water and maintain. Let's be serious!

As for the line of trees in the middle of Gawler Place at the intersection of North Terrace what purpose do they serve? Taking away two complete lanes for traffic coming in and out of the car park! People already struggled to get out of that car park before and now it will be mayhem. Granted if all cars ran on electricity or hydrogen there wouldn't be any pollution but imagine sitting in your car waiting to get out of that car park with all the fumes. I have and it is not enjoyable. I reckon all of this is a fail. Trees should be planted where people will sit. Give them shade. The more the better as our summers are getting longer and hotter. Place shrubs if you really want in median strips but don't narrow lanes to choke traffic at car parks. If you don't want car parks get rid of them first from the city. Then make the CBD into a giant mall with all the fancy BS arbours and not trees! Then you can also get rid of shoppers too and they'll all go to to suburbs where they'll have undercover parking and covered from the elements and heat. Get the pic?

Cheers
Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today, mate?

As far as I've seen and experienced, entering and exiting the carpark has never been so easy. I think condensing the amount of road traffic in Gawler place has done wonders for this carpark because they don't have to compete with people whizzing in to drop someone off, taxis etc. It's now primarily for access to the carpark. Your argument contradicts itself because on one hand you're saying the mall needs shade, they plant trees and you complain about losing a lane for traffic? Make up your mind.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 1138 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#626 Post by Ho Really » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:37 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:34 pm
Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today, mate?
As a matter of fact no. Obviously many here aren't interested in criticism. I have explained why it is a waste of money, etc.
As far as I've seen and experienced, entering and exiting the carpark has never been so easy. I think condensing the amount of road traffic in Gawler place has done wonders for this carpark because they don't have to compete with people whizzing in to drop someone off, taxis etc. It's now primarily for access to the carpark. Your argument contradicts itself because on one hand you're saying the mall needs shade, they plant trees and you complain about losing a lane for traffic? Make up your mind.
So it wasn't easier before with two lanes? No my argument doesn't contradict itself. The trees for shade should be where people are not for separating vehicular traffic. According to you I'll need to be in that narrow median strip for shade. Come on mate!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!
Posts: 702
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 am
Has thanked: 325 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#627 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:27 am

Here’s the trick. Get rid of the dam car park. It’s ugly, we have enough and it’s prime land for something much better.

User avatar
Algernon
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1169
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: Moravia
Has thanked: 347 times
Been thanked: 161 times

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#628 Post by Algernon » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:42 am

Mpol03 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:27 am
Here’s the trick. Get rid of the dam car park. It’s ugly, we have enough and it’s prime land for something much better.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#629 Post by Eurostar » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:19 am

Ho Really wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:37 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:34 pm
Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today, mate?
As a matter of fact no. Obviously many here aren't interested in criticism. I have explained why it is a waste of money, etc.
As far as I've seen and experienced, entering and exiting the carpark has never been so easy. I think condensing the amount of road traffic in Gawler place has done wonders for this carpark because they don't have to compete with people whizzing in to drop someone off, taxis etc. It's now primarily for access to the carpark. Your argument contradicts itself because on one hand you're saying the mall needs shade, they plant trees and you complain about losing a lane for traffic? Make up your mind.
So it wasn't easier before with two lanes? No my argument doesn't contradict itself. The trees for shade should be where people are not for separating vehicular traffic. According to you I'll need to be in that narrow median strip for shade. Come on mate!

Cheers
Trees don't just provide shade they provide oxygen too.

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1273
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 280 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#630 Post by Nort » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:21 am

Ho Really wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:37 pm
[
So it wasn't easier before with two lanes? No my argument doesn't contradict itself. The trees for shade should be where people are not for separating vehicular traffic. According to you I'll need to be in that narrow median strip for shade. Come on mate!

Cheers
Directly shading pedestrians is just one of the benefits of increased greenery in cities. More trees also improve air quality, shade the road and lower parts of structures (reducing radiant heat from them) and generally improve local micro-climates.

One lane of traffic in and one lane of traffic out is perfectly appropriate for a parking area accessed through a side lane.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gnrc_louis, Google [Bot] and 13 guests