News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway Revitalisation Projects

#106 Post by MessiahAndrw » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:07 am

ml69 wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:Is it just me or do our laneways here in Adelaide seem quite wide compared to laneways elsewhere? When I think of laneways in European cities, Melbourne and Sydney, their laneways are often literally no wider than 2 people abreast + a small table & 2 chairs.
It's not just you.
If everyone loves laneways - why aren't we building more narrow streets like these?

It may be difficult to do this in the CBD, where the street grid has been is already fully established and built, but they would be perfect for infill developments in the suburbs, commercial streets on new subdivision developments, etc.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#107 Post by Waewick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:52 am

MessiahAndrw wrote:
ml69 wrote:
monotonehell wrote:Is it just me or do our laneways here in Adelaide seem quite wide compared to laneways elsewhere? When I think of laneways in European cities, Melbourne and Sydney, their laneways are often literally no wider than 2 people abreast + a small table & 2 chairs.
It's not just you.
If everyone loves laneways - why aren't we building more narrow streets like these?

It may be difficult to do this in the CBD, where the street grid has been is already fully established and built, but they would be perfect for infill developments in the suburbs, commercial streets on new subdivision developments, etc.
I think people like to get sentimental about these things and love to visit them, but wouldn't want to live near/in them.

Laneways make little or no sense where they don't already exist IMO. Wide laneways are a good thing,

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#108 Post by MessiahAndrw » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:10 am

Waewick wrote:I think people like to get sentimental about these things and love to visit them, but wouldn't want to live near/in them.

Laneways make little or no sense where they don't already exist IMO. Wide laneways are a good thing,
I say the same about wide streets. You may be sentimental because you grew up in a suburb with wide streets, but personally I couldn't deal with that my entire life.

Narrow streets are compact, highly walkable, intimate feeling, and are very cheap to build and resurface. I hate the feeling of streets feeling like they are divided into two sides and roaring with traffic in the middle. I hate the 'wall of cars' effect of parallel parking - streets should be for people first and foremost - not storage for our mobility prosthetics when we don't use them - but I understand that parallel parking is a necessary evil if the alternative is, god forbid, front surface parking.

I'm an advocate for human-scale development and I've created a blog for just that http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog20131204.php (my blog is aimed at an American audience as that's where I'm living, but I'm an Adelaide native that would love to come home soon - we have a great city!)

I would love to see more narrow streets - to see infill development in the forms of pockets of highly compact, urban villages. I want us to create lovable places - places people fantasize in art and recognize around the world - places that are lively and vibrant and fill you with a rush of excitement and adrenaline just being in their presence.

Waewick

#109 Post by Waewick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:33 am

Narrow streets were created for a purpose, a purpose which really is no longer relevant.

unfortunately, we have cars, and in many cities they are a need, rather than a want.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#110 Post by MessiahAndrw » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:57 am

Waewick wrote:Narrow streets were created for a purpose, a purpose which really is no longer relevant.

unfortunately, we have cars, and in many cities they are a need, rather than a want.
Cars are only a need when you design your city to be dependent on them - in which case cars become prosthetics that are necessary just to go conveniently about your day.

Our wide 19th century hypertrophic streets had a purpose - they prevented the spread of fires and diseases, thankfully most buildings are made of inflammable material like brick, stone, metal and glass, and modern hygiene standards are far better.

Our 20th century suburban streets were designed for the automobile - they're only relevant if you want them to be. Do you want to design your environment in such a way that citizens are dependent on the car just to conveniently get around their own town or city? Hopefully, well learn from our experiences of the last 70 years and try to understand what truly makes cities great places to loive.

I'm fine if you want to build a city around your car - North America is full of cities that have gone all in on the car. I'm fine if you find narrow human-scale streets awful. Live and build your neighborhood how you want - Just don't force me to live there.

Waewick

#111 Post by Waewick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm impartial either way, but have a bias towards making the Adelaide CBD less car centric, but that also involves looking at what the suburbs have to offer

I live in a suburb that relies completely on the car :wallbash:. so I need the city to be friendly to cars :|

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#112 Post by omada » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:50 am

Can anyone tell me what is happening with this at the moment? Apart from Leigh and Peel and Bank Street, there appears to be not much effort to improve streetscapes for cyclists and pedestrians -or are the ACC still in the planning phase?

ml69
Legendary Member!

#113 Post by ml69 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:02 pm

omada wrote:Can anyone tell me what is happening with this at the moment? Apart from Leigh and Peel and Bank Street, there appears to be not much effort to improve streetscapes for cyclists and pedestrians -or are the ACC still in the planning phase?
Not sure where ACC is at with other streetscape improvements, but nothing has really been done with Peel St.

Leigh St is exceptional (our best laneway), Bank St is pretty good (but needs more done), but Peel St is still pretty poor as a public space in my opinion despite numerous new businesses opening and preparing to open.

I spent about 10 mins in Peel St today. It's main problem is that since Leigh St has now closed to through traffic, cars use Peel St as a shortcut from Currie to Hindley St, dodging and weaving past people and bollards along the way. I saw a constant stream of cars doing this. It is impossible to have any form of outdoor seating/dining whilst allowing this through traffic within the confines of this narrow lane.

If ACC is serious about making Peel St a vibrant laneway, Peel St needs to be closed to through traffic like Leigh St. Delivery access can use the little loading zones at either end of Leigh St. This would then permit the new businesses to erect retractable canopies over the street and have some outdoor seating. Also some new street trees and lighting wouldn't go astray.

I think this increased pedestrian focus would accelerate the transformation of Peel St, and allow the new businesses on the street to thrive. This rejuvenation should be possible without ACC having to spend a huge amount of money in order to do it.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#114 Post by Will » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:55 pm

Further applications for small bars have been received for the following sites:

-28 Peel Street
-25 Vardon Avenue
-41 Currie Street (this proposal will include its own nano-brewery)
-152 Sturt Street

An application has also been received to convert the blank wall of the McDonald's building (on the corner of Hindley and Bank Street) facing Bank Street into multiple retail tenancies.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#115 Post by Will » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:31 pm

Applications for small bar licences have been received for the following locations:

*23 Gilbert Place
*20-26 Vardon Avenue

Nathan

#116 Post by Nathan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:12 pm

The Vardon Avenue one is East End Cellars. They're moving the store directly across the other side of the lane, where it will be twice the size of the current store and have a tasting room. The old store will then be redone into a wine bar.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#117 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:47 am

Nathan wrote:The Vardon Avenue one is East End Cellars. They're moving the store directly across the other side of the lane, where it will be twice the size of the current store and have a tasting room. The old store will then be redone into a wine bar.
Yes, with prosciutto, gammon and the largest range of wine in the state. :)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#118 Post by MessiahAndrw » Wed May 21, 2014 4:55 am

Not really a laneway, but the Hindley Street Activation.

http://27j69335adx010zfi19irzch0z.wpeng ... ey-St1.jpg

Can anyone currently living in Adelaide give us an update on progress?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#119 Post by Wayno » Wed May 21, 2014 6:00 am

MessiahAndrw wrote:Can anyone currently living in Adelaide give us an update on progress?
ACC update from April 2014: http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/asse ... cation.pdf
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#120 Post by Wayno » Wed May 21, 2014 6:03 am

Nathan wrote:The Vardon Avenue one is East End Cellars. They're moving the store directly across the other side of the lane, where it will be twice the size of the current store and have a tasting room. The old store will then be redone into a wine bar.
Hey Nathan, where did you hear this? just curious of timeframes, details on the wine bar, etc...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.