News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
timtam20292
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway Revitalisation Projects

#451 Post by timtam20292 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:58 pm

When are the vines being planted? Not now because of the heat?

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#452 Post by claybro » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:39 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:49 am
The flaps needed to be made of thin metal, like the similar design element at Victoria Square.
Not a fan of the shade flaps in Victoria Sq either. The also look cheap and nasty.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#453 Post by Norman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:05 am

Waymouth Street between Topham Mall and King William Street may finally get the footpath widening the council promised a few months ago. Bollards and equipment are on site.

Nort

#454 Post by Nort » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:43 am

Norman wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:05 am
Waymouth Street between Topham Mall and King William Street may finally get the footpath widening the council promised a few months ago. Bollards and equipment are on site.

Yup, that's currently in progress.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#455 Post by Norman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:56 pm

Let's take stock of some of the laneway/public realm projects we have happening in the city:

Completed
-Bank Street
-Topham Mall North
-Hindley Street West
-Peel Street
-Kintore Avenue/ANZAC Memorial

In Progress
-Waymouth Street East
-Frome Street

Planned 2018
-Gawler Place (March)
-Topham Mall South
-Bentham Street
-North Terrace East

Planned after 2018
-Festival Plaza
-Station Road/Lane
-Pitt Street

Proposed/Discussed Officially
-North Terrace West
-Twin Street
-George Street

Apart from the ones I've listed, I would like to see the following streets worked on:
-Grenfell and Currie Street (Major overhaul with bus bays, trees, footpath upgrade)
-Clarendon Street between Hindley Street and Flinders Street (once bus depot closes in a year or so, narrow street, plant trees and increase width of footpath)
-Rosina Street (Shared Space, add trees)
-Victoria Square

I also believe a number of lanes between Gouger Street East and Wright Street East should be turned into shared spaces.

Any that I've missed? What should we focus on next?
Last edited by Norman on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#456 Post by SRW » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:44 pm

Add Victoria Square as high priority and I’m in full agreement!
Keep Adelaide Weird

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#457 Post by Brando » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:56 am

timtam20292 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:58 pm
Vines have been planted, I noticed them last night.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#458 Post by Joelmark » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:13 am

Thanks Norman for the above update - really accurate.
One thing I've often thought is that when a street or laneway is upgraded, there's often a lot of fanfare - sometimes in the case of Bank Street rightly so - it looks great. However not all streets in Adelaide necessarily need really expensive glossy treatments to look a bit better - as in not all need artwork, granite pavements, etc. Many streets such as Flinders / Franklin / Morphett which haven't really been touched in decades could just do with new flagstone pavements, better lighting and more trees and greenery.

I've only been to Melbourne a few times but the streetscaping there does seem a little more consistent with paving, trees, etc.

There's also the issue of quality- Leigh Street was only upgraded twenty years ago with stone paving, street furniture and trees and yet the pavement is cracked and in need of replacement - these sort of upgrades should really last 50 or 100 years - in many European cities they've managed to maintain laneways with cobblestones for hundreds of years and seemingly upgrade water, electricity and other services without disturbing pavements. Apologies for the negative bit at the end but just some random thoughts.

The work on Rundle Mall four years ago looks like holding up well however, so well done for the work on that.

Algernon

#459 Post by Algernon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:44 am

Joelmark wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:13 am
Thanks Norman for the above update - really accurate.
One thing I've often thought is that when a street or laneway is upgraded, there's often a lot of fanfare - sometimes in the case of Bank Street rightly so - it looks great. However not all streets in Adelaide necessarily need really expensive glossy treatments to look a bit better - as in not all need artwork, granite pavements, etc. Many streets such as Flinders / Franklin / Morphett which haven't really been touched in decades could just do with new flagstone pavements, better lighting and more trees and greenery.

I've only been to Melbourne a few times but the streetscaping there does seem a little more consistent with paving, trees, etc.

There's also the issue of quality- Leigh Street was only upgraded twenty years ago with stone paving, street furniture and trees and yet the pavement is cracked and in need of replacement - these sort of upgrades should really last 50 or 100 years - in many European cities they've managed to maintain laneways with cobblestones for hundreds of years and seemingly upgrade water, electricity and other services without disturbing pavements. Apologies for the negative bit at the end but just some random thoughts.

The work on Rundle Mall four years ago looks like holding up well however, so well done for the work on that.
Interesting re: pavement treatments in Europe. In the case of Prague and to a lesser extent Brno, the reason the cobblestone streets last so long is because they're not permanent, they're stones set in stand and can be pulled in and out at will. Certainly you'll see stones out of place all over the place and can easily hurt yourself if you don't watch where you walk. The reason these semi permanent cobblestone streets last for centuries is they're maintained daily, and when you do underground works you can simply rip the stones out then put them back in, sweep the sand over and done.

IT's one of those things I notice walking around and say to myself we can't do it in Australia. Those cobblestone streets would average a lawsuit a day in a place like Adelaide.

Nort

#460 Post by Nort » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:51 am

Algernon wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:44 am
IT's one of those things I notice walking around and say to myself we can't do it in Australia. Those cobblestone streets would average a lawsuit a day in a place like Adelaide.
And rightly so. Cobblestone streets are beautiful, but one of the main reasons is that they have historical significance and fit the surroundings. Putting cobblestones on an Adelaide street would be the tacky equivalent of putting brick veneer wallpaper on a concrete wall.

rhino

#461 Post by rhino » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:30 pm

I'm sad to see that Peel Street is "Completed". There is so much more that could be done with Peel Street, which has so much pedestrian activity, many cafes / small bars etc. The beautification has a long way to go IMO :cry:
cheers,
Rhino

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#462 Post by timtam20292 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:32 pm

Brando wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:56 am
timtam20292 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:58 pm
Vines have been planted, I noticed them last night.
Yep 👍🏻 I saw them today.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#463 Post by HiTouch » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:55 pm

I’ve been thinking about those flaps and I came to this conclusion:

Even if you think it's subjectively ugly, we should be encouraging developers to be more daring with their design. Some polarising flaps around the city is a heck of a lot more interesting than the same bland shit we normally get. We certainly don't need any more designs with garden boxes and pods and aluminium panels and the the odd but of road painted in some highlight colour.

If you think this looks like it's from a war zone, pull your head out of your hyperbolic arse. That's the same nonsense as when people describe a development as "future slums", despite not in the least bit resembling a real slum.

I would say leave the flaps alone as from the words of Paul Rand said that “The public is more familiar with bad design than good design. It is, in effect, conditioned to prefer bad design, because that is what it lives with. The new becomes threatening, the old reassuring. – Paul Rand.”

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#464 Post by timtam20292 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:17 am

:shock:

Don’t think Nathan will appreciate having his words copied and pasted. Yet another bizarre post from you which I find very distracting from actual thread discussion. :roll:

Algernon

#465 Post by Algernon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:35 am

HiTouch wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:55 pm
I’ve been thinking about those flaps and I came to this conclusion:

Even if you think it's subjectively ugly, we should be encouraging developers to be more daring with their design. Some polarising flaps around the city is a heck of a lot more interesting than the same bland shit we normally get. We certainly don't need any more designs with garden boxes and pods and aluminium panels and the the odd but of road painted in some highlight colour.

If you think this looks like it's from a war zone, pull your head out of your hyperbolic arse. That's the same nonsense as when people describe a development as "future slums", despite not in the least bit resembling a real slum.

I would say leave the flaps alone as from the words of Paul Rand said that “The public is more familiar with bad design than good design. It is, in effect, conditioned to prefer bad design, because that is what it lives with. The new becomes threatening, the old reassuring. – Paul Rand.”
No, the flaps are shit