News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway Revitalisation Projects

#121 Post by monotonehell » Wed May 21, 2014 10:43 am

Wayno wrote:
Nathan wrote:The Vardon Avenue one is East End Cellars. They're moving the store directly across the other side of the lane, where it will be twice the size of the current store and have a tasting room. The old store will then be redone into a wine bar.
Hey Nathan, where did you hear this? just curious of timeframes, details on the wine bar, etc...
The guys weren't exactly secret about it. They've been telling customers about their move since they won the lease back a few months ago. It's been open for quote a few weeks now. You should go have a look some time, if you haven't already.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#122 Post by Wayno » Wed May 21, 2014 5:31 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Wayno wrote:
Nathan wrote:The Vardon Avenue one is East End Cellars. They're moving the store directly across the other side of the lane, where it will be twice the size of the current store and have a tasting room. The old store will then be redone into a wine bar.
Hey Nathan, where did you hear this? just curious of timeframes, details on the wine bar, etc...
The guys weren't exactly secret about it. They've been telling customers about their move since they won the lease back a few months ago. It's been open for quote a few weeks now. You should go have a look some time, if you haven't already.
righto! i'm on my way...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#123 Post by Will » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:28 pm

Interesting article from AdelaideNow:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/lifestyle ... 6965560654

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#124 Post by Will » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:08 am

The rise of new small bars continues, with recent applications to the Liquor Licencing Commissioner including:

Tooth and Nail Gallery at 26-28 Coromandel Place and Philosophia at 19 Young Street.

SRJ
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#125 Post by SRJ » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:41 am

Is anybody going to the opening of Bank Street Social this weekend? Could be our best Laneway bar

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#126 Post by Wayno » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:58 pm

SRJ wrote:Is anybody going to the opening of Bank Street Social this weekend? Could be our best Laneway bar
Photos please! both in and around...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Uncle Monty
High Rise Poster!

#127 Post by Uncle Monty » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:47 am

Signage has gone up today on the building on the corner of Topham Mall and Currie St, currently undergoing major renovations, for a new CBD brewery called 'Lady Burra' which sounds interesting. This type of venture could help transform Topham Mall and hopefully cash in on the large volume of foot traffic that comes up Leigh St.

SRJ
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#128 Post by SRJ » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:04 pm

Didn't end up going to Bank Street Social last weekend. It will take photos when i attend though.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#129 Post by Will » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:25 am

Interesting article from the City Messenger:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 47?login=1

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#130 Post by Will » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:33 pm

I was in the city today, and checked out some of these new small bars.

Whilst I was having a wine at this new small Italian style bar on Peel Street, I noticed that there is a new tunnel/walkway linking Peel Street with Leigh Street. It is awesome!, but the best thing about it, is that there is a bar off it too!

This whole precinct is a credit to the city. Can't wait to head back there tonight! :cheers:

Matt
Legendary Member!

#131 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:59 pm

I was impressed while I was home last... only saw Casablabla and Udaberri but both were great fun. I had a great night spent entirely in an area which a couple of years back I never would have bothered with.

I still find it hard to believe it's Adelaide - so much about the city, both physically and the general attitude and vibe, seems to be changing quicker than any other period in my lifetime. It's great!

Vee
Legendary Member!

#132 Post by Vee » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:25 am

Added vibe, revitalization investment in the city etc comments in this thread are applicable here.

Education Adelaide CEO wants a 24/7 city to boost SA student numbers.

Vibrancy, laneways revitalization, pop-ups, small bars, good/interesting lighting, busy precincts etc attract young folk, international students, increased visitation by parents, relatives etc and investment. The ACC and state government are on the right track with many recent initiatives.

This perspective has been highlighted by Education Adelaide CEO, Karyn Kent in an Adelaide Now item.

"Studying is big business, $924 million incoming last year and ranking only behind wheat, wine and mining as SA’s leading exports asserts EA."
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... 7001504108

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#133 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:22 am

Whilst there has been some big changes in recent times, Sundays still need alot of improvement.

Besides key areas, the city is still basically a ghost town. Absolutely nothing is open in the West End, and your only food options are Maccas or other take away outlets.

I guess though, it's going to take time before the city truly becomes an active vibrant 24/7 city.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#134 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:26 am

crawf wrote:Whilst there has been some big changes in recent times, Sundays still need alot of improvement.

Besides key areas, the city is still basically a ghost town. Absolutely nothing is open in the West End, and your only food options are Maccas or other take away outlets.

I guess though, it's going to take time before the city truly becomes an active vibrant 24/7 city.
There's a few places open on Sundays. The places where hospitality staff go when they have Sunday off. It's the same in the East End. People don't tend to go out as much on Sunday night, so a commensurate amount of venues are open to cater for them.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#135 Post by how good is he » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:31 am

I actually doubt even if these bars were open on a Sunday afternoon/night [in winter] they would be enough demand to pay the double time wages and actually make it worth while for the owners to open. But its a bit like the chicken and the egg ..ie what needs to happen first - venues open or the demand needs to exist. Maybe it would work in spring/summer...so hopefully they try then.