News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway Revitalisation Projects

#61 Post by SRW » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:30 am

metro wrote:It would be fantastic if Hindley street could be done like that for its entire length, and Rundle Street as well for that matter. The recent works on Rundle did FA to improve the precinct, Rundle Street really should have been made one-way for road traffic to provide extra footpath and outdoor dining space.
I agree completely.
Keep Adelaide Weird

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#62 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

SRW wrote:
metro wrote:It would be fantastic if Hindley street could be done like that for its entire length, and Rundle Street as well for that matter. The recent works on Rundle did FA to improve the precinct, Rundle Street really should have been made one-way for road traffic to provide extra footpath and outdoor dining space.
I agree completely.
I'd disagree just a little with "FA". The recent footpath improvement works on Rundle Street have improved pedestrian amenity and provided several new al fresco spaces for restaurants and cafes as well as some new useful footpath furniture.

I'd hate to think that those six months of sleepless nights from construction noise were for "FA".
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#63 Post by Nathan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:28 am

I'm with you Mono, the works on Rundle St have definitely been an improvement. Sure it would have been nice if there was even more pedestrian space, but they had to balance it with not purging every car park (there was one option that was much more ruthless).

[Shuz]

#64 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:49 pm

What they should do is make Hindley and Rundle Streets into a 24/7 pedestrian mall for the entire 1 mile length.

The Hindley Street project is a great improvement, and hopefully will form part of a stage-by-stage basis towards realising the vision of the abovementioned; a mile-long pedestrian mall.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#65 Post by HeapsGood » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:55 am

Or at least mixed use so you can close off hindley st to traffic at certain times. Arent there some car parks that can only be directly accessed from Hindley? The one next to Maccas comes to mind.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#66 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Pretty sure this was trialled previously and was a failure, leading to more violence on the street after hours.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#67 Post by monotonehell » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:02 pm

Norman wrote:Pretty sure this was trialled previously and was a failure, leading to more violence on the street after hours.
Not more, just the same amount, but spread out.

skyliner

#68 Post by skyliner » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:44 am

just spent the day in Bath (UK) - a world heritage site. Laneways are spectacular. Ideas for us - cobblestones, canvas awnings, georgian arched windows, heaps of coffee shops, no cars, eclectic shops, signing (of all sorts and for all things) that is not dull and repetitive, (some with heritage feel), bollards as a feature to aid the ambience, refurbishing bldg fronts that are there, removing blank walls with street art or doors into shops down morelanes etcetc. Will get some piccies .

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

[Shuz]

#69 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:02 am

Street violence is never a good thing, and it should be eliminated completely if ever possible. However, we have to accept reality, and that it will always happen, however we must put in place strategies to minimise risk and repeated occurences from happening.

Having said that, isn't it better off that street violence should be spread out over the whole of a closed-to-traffic Hindley Street rather than just concentrated to the narrow confines of the footpaths and shady laneways. My theory is that if you concentrate violence to a particular area (especially in a smaller environment; i.e. the narrow footpaths) that you actually run the risk of creating a 'snowball' effect, causing what could be a relatively minor disturbance, coupled with the effect of a constrained physical enviornment, that a situation could very quickly escalate into a fully fledged street fight, involving gangs and weapons, and ultimately fatalities.

Wouldn't society be better off if we could manage public disturbances that offered conflicting parties the oppurtunity to adequately physically retreat away from one another, therefore minimising the risk of small things like, someone's stupid comments being overheard which in turn has the potential to cause further aggrevation.

Time is an important key factor here as well; all it takes is 10 seconds.

You might argue, well, why don't they just walk the other way down the footpath? I argue that, in the time that it takes to meander and navigate the very congested walkways of Hindley Street on a Saturday night, even just to wait to cross the road safely, is still 10 seconds that, distance-wise, in the current situation, if the opposing party has only travelled 5m away from the point of conflict to 'vent' their comments about the situation, where it could be overheard. As opposed to, if Hindley Street were a pedestrian mall, thus offering the sense of space, and walking 15m away, free of obstacles, that their comments are not then overheard by the other party, thus diffusing a potential situation from escalating into anything further. A sense of space, offers a sense of retreat, and the aboveforementioned is one of the key reasons why I so strongly belive Hindley Street should be a pedestrian mall.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#70 Post by monotonehell » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:29 am

Shuz your ideas are sensible, except you may be unaware that a lot of people are actively seeking violence as a pass time. That is, there are people who go out specifically to look for a fight. Hindley Street is recognised as an arena for these people.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#71 Post by Norman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Not to mention people too drunk for their own good

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#72 Post by JamesXander » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:21 pm

Most fights i see start from at least one person who is LOOKING for a fight. No matter what controls you put in place there is always going to be violence.

Only education especially for younger males about the damage a single punch can do will change things. And thats going to take many years, and still it won't completely rid of violence in town.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#73 Post by Will » Sat May 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Interesting article from the Adelaide Review:
Get activated

May 2013

Jane Llewellyn

Peel Street used to be a typical, grungy, off-Hindley laneway but big plans are underway to ‘activate’ Peel Street.

This activation is happening thanks to the vision of property owner George Ginos of the Ginos Group, who owns Leigh Street and has acquired property on Peel Street, and a couple of hospitality entrepreneurs and seasoned property developers to realise the street’s potential and position it as the city’s next hotspot.

Peel Street’s eclectic mix of heritage buildings and other less aesthetic 70s architecture gives the laneway an inner-city feel and is part of the attraction. “We think it’s thoroughly urban. It’s almost its own little city within a city,” says Crispian Fielke, one of the owners of Clever Little Tailor, the first of the new wave of businesses to open on the street.

Fielke and co-owners Josh Baker and Dana Whyte felt Peel Street was the ideal location for their bar venture. “The laneway feel is very alive here. Given there are still some cars rolling down the street and there is a mixture of workers, young folk and weekend folk. It has its own community,” Fielke explains.

Clever Little Tailor has been an instant hit since opening its doors a couple of weeks ago. It’s a small bar (fits about 70 people) but the building, which used to be the loading dock for Fletcher Jones, has high ceilings with exposed beams creating a sense of space. The bar focuses on quality liquor served in an intimate setting. “We are trying not to theme or pigeonhole it. We want to show off good liquor. People can expect a really nice fit out and a service-driven mindset,” Fielke says.

While there seems to be a laneway culture developing in Adelaide Fielke believes it’s about “tapping into space”.

“I don’t think the laneway trend is something that is driven necessarily by fashion but rather good use of space, clever use of space.”

The laneway popularity coincides with changes to small bar licensing earlier this year. Ross Stanley’s Chihuahua on Peel Street will be the first bar to benefit from these changes. The South American inspired bar is set to open in July after Stanley’s reconnaissance mission to South America to source boutique products and decor. “All the businesses on the street are offering a boutique product. They have a bit of a story and personality behind them,” Stanley says. The location appealed to Stanley because of the proximity to Leigh Street and the fact that Peel Street was “creating a bit of a precinct within a precinct”.

Also opening in the next three to four months is Peel St, the latest offering from the team behind Goolwa’s Aquacaf – Jordan Theodoros, Ben McLeod and Martin Corcoran. Peel St will offer what Theodoros describes as “really simple fresh food with a focus on Middle Eastern flavours”.

“It will be a casual dining experience that brings the relaxed Aquacaf feel to the city,” Theodoros says. “We wanted to place ourselves in an area that’s growing and be surrounded by like minded people. It will be nice to be back in the city.”

It’s not just hospitality businesses that are taking advantage of the laneway vibe, coworking giant Hub Adelaide is set to open in September on the first floor of the Fletcher Jones building on the corner of Peel Street and Hindley Street. Part of Hub Australia (which is linked to the global Hub brand) Hub Adelaide joins the wave of co-working spaces popping up around Adelaide – The Mill, Majoran Distillery, Co-West and That Space.

The changing face of Peel Street is not without consequences. Art collective Format, who occupied their space on Peel Street since 2010, had no choice but to vacate because of increased rents. Stan Mahoney, Managing Director of Format says: “The rejuvenation of the Peel Street precinct is well over due. It’s just a shame that artist run community based groups are not part of the vision for the street. We’ve had a lot of support and we are confident that Format will continue in the CBD.”

Also readying for completion is Peel Chambers a mixed-use building being promoted by Peter Buchan (Buchan Lee Property Group). The 1897 building has been revitalised and offers shells, which can be converted into either an apartment or office space. Buchan says: “Bringing people to live here is also important and that’s what we do. It’s one thing to have people visiting the street and then going back to the suburbs but you need people living here.”

With all this development underway Peel Street will look very different by the end of the year as it’s transformed into a vibrant strip of diverse businesses. The plans also include a knock through to join Peel Street and Leigh Street adding to the potential for further development and creating what looks to be the beginning of Adelaide’s laneway network.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#74 Post by Shahkar » Sat May 04, 2013 2:22 pm

:D
Melbourne St Association formed to help create ‘vibrant’ North Adelaide community

SUMMER markets, pop-up bars and come-and-try nights are among the ideas a new group has to help ­revitalise Melbourne St.

Traders and residents have joined forces in a bid to boost business, create a strong community and bring events to the North Adelaide strip.

Melbourne Street Association president Ben Walters said the group was made up of people who wanted to create a “vibrant” community along the strip.

“Melbourne St is the heart of North Adelaide and we want to build on the vibrant and strong community we know Melbourne St has.”

Mr Walter said the 20-member group had started planning events. “We are going to look to hold summer markets, pop-up bars and come-and-try nights.”

Meetings are on the ­second Tuesday of the month at basiConcepts, 141 Melbourne St.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#75 Post by jk1237 » Sun May 05, 2013 10:08 am

I do look forward to these new walkway connections between Peel St and Leigh St. From Leigh St there looks like a couple of places where this can happen - 1. The outside beer garden of Casablabla, the driveway on the side of the Coffee Branch, and I think on more spot near the barber shop.
This precinct will become the new 'cool' nightlife area of Adelaide. I love it

The only thing I dont like at the moment is the amount of annoying cars driving down Peel Street. Its very narrow and twice on Friday night as I was walking past the new bar, 2 complete bimbos in 2 cars couldn't work out what 'Shared Zone' was and drove down so fast and close to people it was quite dangerous. It needs to be car access for driveways only and completely blocked off from cars taking a short cut from Currie St to Hindley