News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
HiTouch
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway Revitalisation Projects

#466 Post by HiTouch » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:19 am

timtam20292 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:17 am
:shock:

Don’t think Nathan will appreciate having his words copied and pasted. Yet another bizarre post from you which I find very distracting from actual thread discussion. :roll:
Yeah sure mate. Chill. I quoted 2 inspirational people. Paul Rand and Nathan. Did you actually read what i said?
Obviously the flaps are a little bit mattered now but (when fixed or replaced with better material) I say leave them alone for the future to decide. Without them, apart from a few concrete blocks Topham Mall will look no different.
Last edited by HiTouch on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#467 Post by floplo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:19 am

I don't mind the flaps per se, but their colour is way too much dirty laundry...

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#468 Post by Nathan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:00 am

I won't complain about being quoted alongside Paul Rand.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#469 Post by Norman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:33 pm

Quick update on a few projects.

Bank Street
Bank Street is now accessible by cars again, but I have seen very few use it. Hope that continues.

Waymouth Street
I found some old documents for the upgrade which show maps and renders. Here they are:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#470 Post by Norman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Some photos from Friday

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#471 Post by citywatcher » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Norman wrote:Let's take stock of some of the laneway/public realm projects we have happening in the city:

Completed
-Bank Street
-Topham Mall North
-Hindley Street West
-Peel Street
-Kintore Avenue/ANZAC Memorial

In Progress
-Waymouth Street East
-Frome Street

Planned 2018
-Gawler Place (March)
-Topham Mall South
-Bentham Street
-North Terrace East

Planned after 2018
-Festival Plaza
-Station Road/Lane
-Pitt Street

Proposed/Discussed Officially
-North Terrace West
-Twin Street
-George Street

Apart from the ones I've listed, I would like to see the following streets worked on:
-Grenfell and Currie Street (Major overhaul with bus bays, trees, footpath upgrade)
-Clarendon Street between Hindley Street and Flinders Street (once bus depot closes in a year or so, narrow street, plant trees and increase width of footpath)
-Rosina Street (Shared Space, add trees)
-Victoria Square

I also believe a number of lanes between Gouger Street East and Wright Street East should be turned into shared spaces.

Any that I've missed? What should we focus on next?
Parts of the footpath on the northern side of grenfell st have been in a shocking state for years
I think major services are located there

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#472 Post by omada » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Ventured down Topham Mall on the weekend and whilst I applaud what the council are trying to achieve, it looks a little unfinished and my god those flappy things look bloody horrible!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#473 Post by Norman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:12 pm

omada wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:40 pm
Ventured down Topham Mall on the weekend and whilst I applaud what the council are trying to achieve, it looks a little unfinished and my god those flappy things look bloody horrible!
The building on Currie Street is set to have 2 retail tenancies open... sometime. Hopefully this will make the area look more complete.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#474 Post by Brando » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:18 pm

Norman wrote:
omada wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:40 pm
The building on Currie Street is set to have 2 retail tenancies open... sometime. Hopefully this will make the area look more complete.
Also the owners of the Allianz building are looking into opening the N/Western corner to front out onto Topham Mall and incorporate a cafe.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#475 Post by Norman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 am

Services are currently being renewed in Bentham Street in preparation for the upgrade.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#476 Post by Joelmark » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Quick snaps Thursday evening
IMG_2106.JPG
IMG_2106.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 5338 times
IMG_2103.JPG
IMG_2103.JPG (1.36 MiB) Viewed 5241 times

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#477 Post by Norman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:03 pm

Some updates for Waymouth Street East

The difference between the original kerbing (left) and new (right) is quite big.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#478 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:19 pm

Work to Begin on Gawler Place Upgrade
8 Mar 2018

The upgrade of Gawler Place is moving another step closer with the City of Adelaide about to embark on pre-construction work.

The Gawler Place upgrade from North Terrace through to Grenfell Street will create a high-quality street connecting to Adelaide’s premier shopping destination, Rundle Mall.

It will become a shared use environment for people walking, cycling and driving, with wider and better quality footpaths, improved lighting and increased bicycle parking.

There will also be spaces for events and performances, as well as seating and outdoor dining areas for meeting friends and family, having lunch or simply a pleasant place to sit and enjoy the city.

Greening elements including mature trees, understory planting and climbers will ensure Gawler Place is an attractive and inviting place to be, with smart elements including charging points, bins and feature lighting.

Vehicle access, on-street accessible parking and loading spaces for deliveries to the street and Rundle Mall will be maintained.

Lord Mayor of Adelaide Martin Haese said that he was pleased to see work starting on the project.

“Gawler Place is one of the city’s busiest streets, with more than 16,000 people using the southern section and more than 9,500 using the northern section each day."

“It provides a key link from Grenfell Street to Rundle Mall, and will be an important link to the new tram extension and stop on North Terrace, which will bring large numbers of additional pedestrians to the area."

“It is also the main link to the cultural precinct, universities and the Riverbank Precinct including the Anzac Memorial Walk."

“The Gawler Place upgrade will create an attractive, safe and welcoming pedestrian-friendly extension of Rundle Mall.
“It will also support business growth and investment. Widened footpaths will create a high-quality space for retail, shopping and activity, and shade and plants will encourage outdoor dining."

The tender process to appoint a contractor is currently being finalised, with major construction work due to start soon.

In the meantime, pre-construction activities will begin, including utility services and ground investigations at select locations in Gawler Place.

This is an important step for the commencement of any construction project as it provides detailed information which will enable the project to progress quickly and with as little disruption as possible.

The pre-construction work will start the week beginning 19 March 2018 and will run for a month.
The work includes:
  • Detailed utility service investigations
  • Property condition assessments to record the condition of the interior and exterior of buildings
  • Further investigations to help better understand the condition of the ground.
To minimise impacts on traffic and access during day-time business hours, much of this work will be done after hours (evening through to early morning).

Speed and lane restrictions will be in place, along with some restrictions to existing loading zones, taxi zones and accessible bays.

Every effort will be made to minimise the impact of the work and to ensure that access to properties is maintained.

The final design of the upgrade can be viewed here.
https://yourfutureadelaide.com.au/news/ ... e-upgrade/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#479 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:06 pm

Quick update:
Bentham Street: Services upgrade (Gas)
Waymouth Street: Stormwater upgrade
Gawler Place: Early Works

Norman
Donating Member