News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Phantom
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway Revitalisation Projects

#166 Post by Phantom » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:16 pm

MessiahAndrw wrote:If we keep 'activating' the laneways and sidestreets off Hindley St creating a very pedestrian oriented environment that attracts a lot of foot traffic, do you think it would be a good idea to one day close off Hindley St to traffic east of Morphett - mirroring Rundle Mall?
They trialed that for weekend nights not that long ago. Not sure of the results, but it ended out scrapped. Personally, I didn't see what the issue was. Hindley is known for being shithouse for traffic on those nights anyway. The only time I go down Hindley on a Friday or Saturday night is when I'm specifically driving down it for the sake of checking out the nightlife. Closing it like this is probably a good safety measure... Perhaps it's not that good for the occasional ambulance?
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#167 Post by Phantom » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:17 pm

monotonehell wrote:
MessiahAndrw wrote:If we keep 'activating' the laneways and sidestreets off Hindley St creating a very pedestrian oriented environment that attracts a lot of foot traffic, do you think it would be a good idea to one day close off Hindley St to traffic east of Morphett - mirroring Rundle Mall?
Sadly a barrier to closing Hindley, Grenfell or Rundle Streets is all the carpark and other vehicular entrances which feed directly onto them.
Shit, I didn't even think of this one, either. I'm sure the carpark that is between the McDonalds and the Police Station would hate this, as well as the one by Strats stripclub.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#168 Post by Nathan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:37 pm

I think a shared zone, much like what is in place on Hindley St West, would be the better option. Car traffic is discouraged, but not prohibited, and the street becomes safer and more pleasant for pedestrians.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#169 Post by Phantom » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Nathan wrote:I think a shared zone, much like what is in place on Hindley St West, would be the better option. Car traffic is discouraged, but not prohibited, and the street becomes safer and more pleasant for pedestrians.
Perhaps a similar speed limit? I don't even know the speed limit for Hindley St East, I'd assume it's like 40? Either way, if you're doing more than 15 on a Saturday night, you're likely to kill someone.

metro
Legendary Member!

#170 Post by metro » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:30 am

I think both Hindley and Rundle should be should become paved shared zones with a slow speed limit and perhaps made one way for car traffic as well.

Also on a slightly unrelated note, I wish they'd pull down that Ozmosis store and reopen Arcade Lane, after hours there's no direct route from the Art Gallery/University through to Grenfell St, one must walk to Twin Street or Gawler Place to get through. Just seeing what they do during the fringe that lane certainly looks like it could have a lot of potential if reopened.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#171 Post by MessiahAndrw » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:25 am

Phantom wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
Sadly a barrier to closing Hindley, Grenfell or Rundle Streets is all the carpark and other vehicular entrances which feed directly onto them.
Shit, I didn't even think of this one, either. I'm sure the carpark that is between the McDonalds and the Police Station would hate this, as well as the one by Strats stripclub.
It's not the end of the world. I'm sure if Rundle Mall was pedestrianised a few decades later there would be a couple of carparks along it, and people would say it's impossible.

One solution is to close Hindley St off to private vehicles, but we can grandfather the few existing carparks in by setting up a temporary shared zone (maybe with different colour pavement), and don't approve any new carparks that front Hindley Street, and eventually the existing ones will be redeveloped, and there will be no more need for a shared zone there.

Maybe not the best idea - I'm cool with a shared zone too. Whatever it takes to make Hindley St more pleasant.

If I were Lord Mayor with an unlimited budget and power, I would identify the major arterials (King William, Grote, N/S/E/W Terrace, etc) and make shared zones the standard for everything else.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#172 Post by monotonehell » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:52 am

MessiahAndrw wrote:It's not the end of the world. I'm sure if Rundle Mall was pedestrianised a few decades later there would be a couple of carparks along it, and people would say it's impossible.

One solution is to close Hindley St off to private vehicles, but we can grandfather the few existing carparks in by setting up a temporary shared zone (maybe with different colour pavement), and don't approve any new carparks that front Hindley Street, and eventually the existing ones will be redeveloped, and there will be no more need for a shared zone there.

Maybe not the best idea - I'm cool with a shared zone too. Whatever it takes to make Hindley St more pleasant.

If I were Lord Mayor with an unlimited budget and power, I would identify the major arterials (King William, Grote, N/S/E/W Terrace, etc) and make shared zones the standard for everything else.
It's never impossible, just a barrier.

Since it's not just car parks' entrances, but also general access ramps to basement docks and etc, a shared zone is the best solution. Put motorists on edge and they slow down - there's good science behind this. The new Rundle Mall is ostensibly a shared zone now. I've never seen more vehicles on it at all times of day.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#173 Post by Torrens_5022 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:02 pm

I was thinking after walking down Hindley Street on a busy evening it would be nice to make it one way and widen each footpath on each side and remove the parking on one side (maybe alternate bays on either side of the road) this would remove two out of the four lanes (including car parks) which would add an extra two metres to each footpath and encourage more outdoor seating and less congestions you could also mirror this on Rundle street. Also lower the speed limit to 40. The direction it would travel is east from Morphett St to KWS, and the opposite (west) if you did Rundle street East Tce to Pulteney St.

Llessur2002

#174 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:37 pm

Follows on from some of the previous discussions around Pitt Street re: creating a pedestrian-friendly route from North terrace down to the Central markets. Hopefully the Pitt Street planters will be replaced/supplemented with something more substantial such as a widened footpath, smiling man with coffee and newspaper, a 1940s ukulele player, the artist formerly known as Prince in a khaki onesie etc.
Adelaide laneways to get $14.6m makeover, new intersections, paving, and public art planned

Photo: An artist's impression of the Bank Street upgrade.

A $14.6 million upgrade of the small streets and laneways linking the Adelaide Central Market to the Riverbank is expected to begin later this year.

The upgrade will include new intersections, paving, lighting, trees, landscaping, street furniture, and public art throughout the corridor, which the State Government estimates is used by 15,000 people a day.

The corridor includes Bank Street, Leigh Street, Topham Mall, Bentham Street, and Pitt Street.

The project will be jointly financed, with $7.3 million to be committed in next month's state budget, and matching funding to be provided by the Adelaide City Council.

The partnership follows on from a successful demonstration project between the Council and Government, which saw Leigh Street closed to traffic in 2012.

A similar demonstration project which introduced temporary 'parklets' in Bank Street proved less successful, with complaints the wooden benches had become a haven for drunks and was often strewn with rubbish.

Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis said the upgrade would build on the State Government's agenda for city vibrancy.

"There has been an incredible transformation on Leigh Street and Peel Street over the past three years and we want that excitement and activity extended all the way from the Central Markets to the Riverbank," he said.

"This project will add to the huge amount of public and private investment in the city in recent years in terms of infrastructure developments, new hotels and apartment complexes."

Lord Mayor Martin Haese said the project was expected to spark further spending from businesses lining the pedestrian and cycling route.

"This investment has the potential to realise up to $70 million in economic activity and utilise local procurement to create new jobs," he said.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-17/a ... er/7520768

Nathan

#175 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:14 pm

Very good news! I was expecting the rollout to be a slow burner as money is drip fed, so the fact they're going to just go the whole hog at once is a nice surprise.
Llessur2002 wrote:smiling man with coffee and newspaper, a 1940s ukulele player, the artist formerly known as Prince in a khaki onesie etc.
To be fair, some of the people they've snuck into the render are from Adelaide — not just dumped in from stock libraries.

Nathan

#176 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:16 pm

More shots from InDaily:

Raider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#177 Post by Raider » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:27 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:smiling man with coffee and newspaper.
Pretty sure he is from Adelaide.

Patrick_27

#178 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:10 pm

Great news! Now, what's being done about Hindley Street? Any idea how much it would costs to give Hindley the same treatment that Rundle Street was given a few years ago?

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#179 Post by wilkiebarkid » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:21 pm

Map

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#180 Post by shiftaling » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:45 pm

Activating Pitt and Bentham could be a bit of a challenge. But this is a great idea!