News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: New Retail in the CBD

#766 Post by AtD » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:58 am

jk1237 wrote:supermarkets can only sell alcohol in a separate room/building/space from the supermarket aisles. Overseas ie NZ and Canada one of the aisles will have alcohol for the little toddler to pick up and place in the trolley. Here in Australia by law it has to be separate from the supermarket.
The ACT has liquor in supermarkets too. One of the few good things about the place.

kjc88
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#767 Post by kjc88 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:02 pm

I know this has nothing to do with new retail
opening in the cbd, But i have it on
good authority that the Myer Rundle mall
will be receiving a full refurbishment in 2013.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#768 Post by Waewick » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:09 pm

kjc88 wrote:I know this has nothing to do with new retail
I reckon that is pretty useful knowledge for this thread :cheers:

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#769 Post by SRW » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:29 pm

kjc88 wrote:I know this has nothing to do with new retail
I have heard similar. Don't expect to hear anything official until August or later.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#770 Post by Pants » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:47 pm

Great news.

I know it's more than a long shot, but here's hoping they're talking about the whole Myer Centre and that it goes through a Bourke Street type transformation.

kjc88
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#771 Post by kjc88 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:54 pm

That's good that i am not the only
one, who has heard that Myer is getting refurbished,
i just hope that it is not floor to ceiling white
and that they put in place attractions to draw customers to the store eg
lego displays, instore cafes, hair salons and definitely better seasonal store decorations
as they seem to put in no effort anymore.
Fingers crossed that David Jones get's refurbished soon
as it is looking very tired and very 90's
I think Dj's needs to return to the elegance of it old store
and reintroduce instore features that set it apart from it's
competition, such as the pianist and doorman etc.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#772 Post by Ben » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:48 am

State chases top-end retail icons for mall

by: Urban Affairs Reporter Alice Higgins

LUXURY international retailers are being targeted in a State Government push to raise the profile of Rundle Mall as a retail destination.

In an unusual move, the Government has instructed the Agent-General in London, Bill Muirhead, to approach prominent European retailers that are on a wishlist compiled by the Government, the Agent-General's office and the Rundle Mall Management Authority.

On the list of about 35 luxury brands are Tiffany & Co, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Yves Saint Laurent, Hermes, Burberry and Stella McCartney.

Popular fast-fashion chains Zara, Topshop, H&M, Marks & Spencer, Bebe, Diesel, Mango and Reiss - a label made famous by Kate Middleton - are also on the list.

The retail push comes on the back of Emirates announcing it would start from November four weekly direct flights to Dubai. It is the fifth airline to introduce direct flights from Adelaide to overseas destinations.

Emirates plans to move to a daily service from February, creating an extra 250,000 seats in and out of Adelaide. The Government estimates this will inject $200 million into the economy each year.

Acting Premier John Rau said after committing billions of dollars to the Adelaide Oval and Riverbank redevelopments, the Government was turning its attention to the state's premier shopping strip.

He said there was "no better man" to deliver results than the Agent-General. "We're trying to grow the city and make it a more attractive place and a necessary element is to increase and improve our retail offering, not just for residents but for tourists," Mr Rau told the Sunday Mail.

"There's nothing quite as good as having a person knock on your door to explain the benefits of a proposal rather than posting a letter and hoping people will read them."

Rundle Mall Management Authority general manager Martin Haese said the future of the precinct relied on attracting big-name international labels.

He said the authority would target US and Asian retailers next, within one to two years.

"This is the ultimate game changer," Mr Haese said. "What will keep Rundle Mall in business will be unique retailers."

International engagement adviser and former Austrade chief economist Tim Harcourt said it was unusual for governments to actively pursue retailers.

"It is relatively innovative," he said. "There is a very high chance of success because of the Agent-General being involved."

Adelaide Airport Limited managing director Mark Young said the airport was now working to attract a Chinese airline to offer passengers direct links with China in two years.

The state experienced a record season for cruise ships, with 23 docking in SA. They carried 42,000 passengers and crew.

A total of 26 cruise ships carrying 56,000 passengers and crew is scheduled to arrive next season, injecting $7 million into the economy.

Waewick

#773 Post by Waewick » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:50 am

would be good if the state chased employment and population growth to back up these retail arms.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#774 Post by AtD » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:23 am

Yeah I agree. Focus on the rest of the economy. Luxury brands will come in their own time.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#775 Post by Ben » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Confirmation today Myer is getting a full refurb due to their lease just being renewed. They will be losing the top floor however as the lease is for 1 floor less. Apparently they were trying to get in Rundle Place but fell through.

Also Tony Bianco has opened up on Rundle Street.

Omicron

#776 Post by Omicron » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:00 pm

I wouldn't even have a clue what's on the top floor of Myer.

Nathan

#777 Post by Nathan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:09 pm

Omicron wrote:I wouldn't even have a clue what's on the top floor of Myer.
Toys and travel.

Omicron

#778 Post by Omicron » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Nathan wrote:
Omicron wrote:I wouldn't even have a clue what's on the top floor of Myer.
Toys and travel.
That would explain why I don't know what's up there.

We probably shouldn't be all that surprised, given Myer's somewhat dubious financial position at the moment; that which DJs shares. The Myer Centre would be a fabulous study of riches to rags - a fearsomely expensive, vast, ornate landmark bursting with people reduced to a shell of its former self in only 20 years. Indicative of department stores in general, really.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#779 Post by arki » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:40 pm

Ben wrote:Confirmation today Myer is getting a full refurb due to their lease just being renewed. They will be losing the top floor however as the lease is for 1 floor less. Apparently they were trying to get in Rundle Place but fell through.

Also Tony Bianco has opened up on Rundle Street.
Wait, what? Myer was trying to get in Rundle Place?
Imagine if that were to happen...where exactly would that leave the Myer Centre? I find it hard to believe considering the Harris Scare would be taking up a significant chunk of retail space within it.

The more that the Myer Centre flops, the harder the pill is to swallow that they destroyed one of the best looking department stores in Australia to build it. :roll:

On the bright side it is good that Myer is getting redeveloped, here hoping its modelled on Bourke St.

Nort

#780 Post by Nort » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:08 pm

With Myer losing the top floor the center is going to have an even more insane amount of space available up there. Wonder what the chances are of a cinema complex or similar opening.