News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: New Retail in the CBD

#781 Post by SRW » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:59 pm

Nort wrote:With Myer losing the top floor the center is going to have an even more insane amount of space available up there. Wonder what the chances are of a cinema complex or similar opening.
That was my great hope too, but it doesn't appear likely. They certainly don't have the capacity to absorb more retail space when there's so much vacant stock already, but neither do they have the capital for any large developments. So from what I've heard, that level will become offices.

More info should come to light towards the end of next week.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#782 Post by Ben » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:03 pm

I've also heard it will be offices.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#783 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:19 pm

A cinema complex would bring much needed to life to those upper floors. Maybe add a couple of food tenancies, and possible bar aswell.

Though the chance of any of this is unlikely. :/

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#784 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:51 pm

Offices would possibly be a good thing, it might create some vertical foot traffic.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#785 Post by Omicron » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:49 pm

I must be the only person in the world who thinks that cinema complexes are fearsomely boring, outdated, inefficient places, and for the life of me I don't understand them.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#786 Post by SRW » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:53 pm

monotonehell wrote:Offices would possibly be a good thing, it might create some vertical foot traffic.
If anything, at least it'll give a steady income to the centre that might help fund improvements to the remainder.
Omicron wrote:I must be the only person in the world who thinks that cinema complexes are fearsomely boring, outdated, inefficient places, and for the life of me I don't understand them.
I suppose they're useful in the same way of stadiums, in that they draw in huge numbers of people, many of whom then spillover into surrounding retail and hospitality. Anecdotally, I've noticed how busy the East End has been lately on ordinarily quiet weeknights, presumably because of the pulling power of Batman. There are still good numbers of people who enjoy the event of the cinema.
Keep Adelaide Weird

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#787 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:25 pm

Omicron wrote:I must be the only person in the world who thinks that cinema complexes are fearsomely boring, outdated, inefficient places, and for the life of me I don't understand them.
Hello, friend.
SRW wrote:Anecdotally, I've noticed how busy the East End has been lately on ordinarily quiet weeknights, presumably because of the pulling power of Batman. There are still good numbers of people who enjoy the event of the cinema.
Nothing to do with Batman I reckon, the East End was surprisingly busy tonight. Especially for a Monday night. Not a movie buff in sight AFAICT.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#788 Post by Pants » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:21 am

How's a cinema inefficient?

Omicron

#789 Post by Omicron » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Pants wrote:How's a cinema inefficient?
Often such large buildings with little use beyond their direct function - ie, nothing above or below making better use of the space, and some days there's hardly anyone inside the space, either. And in this day and age, paying money to see a movie once in a room in which obvious imbeciles are sitting in your reserved seat, and cocks make noisy and incorrect comments during the film, and going to the loo means missing something you don't really know because you missed it, and sitting in an armchair with a glass of wine costs four billion dollars over and above the price of the ticket when I've already got both of those at home.......I don't know, it just seems like a big ol'waste to me.

I also shout at kids to get off my lawn. :wink:

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#790 Post by SRW » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:00 pm

A few more (unsurprising) tidbits: Myer should be out of level 5 by September end while refurb should start in February after trading high season and finished in November before the next.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#791 Post by Goya's Line » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:13 am

One of the retailers this evening mentioned businesses at that level are being pushed to the west-side of the building - unsure if that's for convenience and security or making way for the offices mentioned.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#792 Post by Ben » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:43 am

Goya's Line wrote:One of the retailers this evening mentioned businesses at that level are being pushed to the west-side of the building - unsure if that's for convenience and security or making way for the offices mentioned.
Level 5 is already vacant - its where dazzleland was?

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#793 Post by Adeguy72 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:41 pm

I think a cinema complex on the top floor of the Myer Centre would be fantastic.

They did a similiar development on the top floor of the Melbourne Central complex when the Daimaru department store moved out a few years back & it's very successful. Cinemas are always busy and there's surrounding bars and restaurants too.

Would make a bigger diferent to Rundle Mall than spending $40 million on some new pavers.

Nathan

#794 Post by Nathan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:48 pm

Or you could just walk 5min to Rundle St, where an excellent cinema already exists (and it's surrounded by bars and restaurants too!)

metro
Legendary Member!

#795 Post by metro » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:53 pm

Nathan wrote:Or you could just walk 5min to Rundle St, where an excellent cinema already exists (and it's surrounded by bars and restaurants too!)
this! :applause: