News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: New Retail in the CBD

#796 Post by crawf » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:56 am

The East End Cinemas are a great facility, though the CBD needs a mainstream cinema. There is already the demand for it, it's just finding the right location.

A great location would of been in the new Rundle Place shopping centre. Ohwell.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#797 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:22 am

crawf wrote:The East End Cinemas are a great facility, though the CBD needs a mainstream cinema. There is already the demand for it, it's just finding the right location.

A great location would of been in the new Rundle Place shopping centre. Ohwell.
Palace Nova is no longer just an art cinema - since they took over the Imax, they've been showing mainstream blockbusters in addition to the the art house stuff.

Waewick

#798 Post by Waewick » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:30 am

agreed Crawf the Nova cinema is great.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#799 Post by Ben » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:01 am

Just Jeans confirms Adelaide

Posted Date: 06/08/2012

By Inside Retail

Colliers International has finalised negotiations on a new eight year lease to Just Jeans for its flagship store in Adelaide’s premier shopping precinct of Rundle Mall.

Ben Laycock, director of retail at Colliers International negotiated the lease of the property, which is located in the heart of the Rundle Mall between the Gawler Place intersection and David Jones.

The spot is a major zone for performance and gatherings in the Mall, with Laycock saying the tenancy was a huge win for the Mall and one of most significant leasing negotiations for some time.

The property, 90 Rundle Mall, comprises a ground floor tenancy of approximately 458sqm and first floor of approximately 250sqm.

Just Jeans already holds a prominent location in Rundle Mall but is now favoured by its position directly opposite the new Rundle Place redevelopment.

“The local amenity of this site is incredibly attractive to staff and customers,” said Laycock.

“Retail continues to undergo massive changes but this transaction is a sign that fashion retailers are still being drawn to high street retail precincts.”

relapse
Gold-Member ;)

#800 Post by relapse » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:46 am

Does anyone have any idea when K-Mart will open ? That development seems to have taken forever to finish.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#801 Post by Ben » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:46 am

I looked inside about a week ago and looked like barely anything had changed. not sure what the delay is.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#802 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:07 pm

I'm not surprised it's taking a while, that space needed some extensive renovations.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#803 Post by Ben » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:24 pm

New traders are helping to revitalise Adelaide's James Place by:
Alice Higgins From:
City Messenger August 22, 2012

Mike Calava is the part-owner of Teawana, a new tea bar in James Place. Picture: Luke Hemer Source: AdelaideNow

Coffee shops, tea bars and women's fashion are helping transform James Place from a hectic thoroughfare into a trendy lane, traders say.

Over the past nine months, at least five shops have opened in James Place, breathing much-needed life into one of the city's most neglected - and busiest - lanes.

The narrow strip between Grenfell St and Rundle Mall attracts more than 80,000 people a week, making it the busiest lane in the city.

Caparezza Espresso Bar owner Phil de Cesare, who opened his cafe in James Place about four months ago, is about to open a new business selling homemade pasta and smallgoods next door.

"My biggest drawcard was the foot traffic and the corporate sector," Mr de Cesare said. "I realised there was trade to be had.

"(James Place) was a bit of a thoroughfare before, but now it's a place to hang out."

Fair Espresso owner Matt Lazarus said that the high level of local foot traffic had led him to open a fair trade coffee bar about six months ago.

"James Place was definitely crying out for some wakening up," Mr Lazarus said.

"We're starting to slow everyone down and get them to hang around.

"It's not a passageway any more, but a destination."

Teawana part-owner Mike Calava spent a year searching for the perfect spot to establish his tea bar before moving into James Place two weeks ago.

The bar is made entirely of recycled materials and sells more than 130 types of teas from all around the world.

"I've done a lot of travelling and (have) seen how alleyways can develop into something cool and different," Mr Calava said.

"We looked down Rundle Mall but thought this gives off the vibe we were looking for."

Barkins brand manager Amanda Duscher said the women's fashion shop opened in December to capture passersby, especially women from the corporate sector.

"When people are rushing through to get to the mall, we wanted to give them a reason to stop and shop with us first," Ms Duscher said.

"There are also some cute little cafes and coffee shops to go into."

Rundle Mall Management Authority general manager Martin Haese said James Place had been transformed from a "racetrack" into a "destination".

"What's happening in James Place is precisely what we want to happen in more laneways," Mr Haese said.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#804 Post by SRW » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:46 pm

I was actually in Teawana today -- seriously cool! Hope this trend on James Place continues.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Omicron

#805 Post by Omicron » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:23 pm

Early November for Kmart opening, I believe. They don't get access until sometime late September.

claybro

#806 Post by claybro » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:24 am

Was in the " Cotton On" shop in RM today, never been in that shop before, but looked up and high up on the wal, above all the fixtures where what must have been the original first level is the old oak and mirror panelling still intact. Higher still is the old decorative ceiling. Made me wonder how many old gems are hidden away in the new shop fitouts. I know of the old Regent theatre space which has recently seen the light of day after renovation, but there must be so much hidden history behinf the shopfronts of Rundle Mall. Great that this panelling was saved when cotton on did its fitout.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#807 Post by jk1237 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:50 am

claybro wrote:Was in the " Cotton On" shop in RM today, never been in that shop before, but looked up and high up on the wal, above all the fixtures where what must have been the original first level is the old oak and mirror panelling still intact. Higher still is the old decorative ceiling. Made me wonder how many old gems are hidden away in the new shop fitouts. I know of the old Regent theatre space which has recently seen the light of day after renovation, but there must be so much hidden history behinf the shopfronts of Rundle Mall. Great that this panelling was saved when cotton on did its fitout.
Cotton On is in the old Balfours building isn't it. I can just remember what it was like when it was the Balfours cafe, very old world and cooool

claybro

#808 Post by claybro » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:34 pm

jk1237 wrote:Cotton On is in the old Balfours building isn't it. I can just remember what it was like when it was the Balfours cafe, very old world and cooool
You know, it's sad, I worked in Rundle Mall in the 80's,and not sure if this was the Balfours shop. The Mall is unrecognisable from then. I rarely get in there, and felt like a real rubbernecker on Saturday. Must say I thought the Mall was quite vibrant even given it was a dull drizzly day. The real let down was the Myer Centre. It needs a major makeover, it looks dull, tired and dirty.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#809 Post by Ben » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Darrel Lea announced today all remaining stores would close. Only 2 left in SA, one at Westfield Marion and the iconic store on corner of the mall on king William street. I wonder which retailer will take this place.

Nathan

#810 Post by Nathan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:22 pm

Has there been any news on the former Borders store? I noticed today that the For Lease signs have disappeared, and there seemed to be some work going on inside.