News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
metro
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#1516 Post by metro » Tue May 05, 2015 6:37 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned this. But Krispy Kreme have opened up shop on the corner of James Place and Grenfell Street.
I knew it was there, I walked past it on my way to Gourmet Glaze :wink:

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1517 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:30 pm

metro wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned this. But Krispy Kreme have opened up shop on the corner of James Place and Grenfell Street.
The opening wasn't mentioned, but their plans to open there were.

Incredibly dirty move IMO, considering Peregrine want to "give back to South Australia, what South Australia have given to them" I find it funny that they're really trying to damage Gourmet Glaze a locally owned business.

Funnily enough, Krispy Kreme Australia pretty much blackmailed GG about a year after they opened in an attempt to buy them out and re-brand, GG refused all offers.

Gourmet Glaze are better anyway, better ingredients and as a result fresher.

Nathan

#1518 Post by Nathan » Tue May 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
metro wrote:
The opening wasn't mentioned, but their plans to open there were.

Incredibly dirty move IMO, considering Peregrine want to "give back to South Australia, what South Australia have given to them" I find it funny that they're really trying to damage Gourmet Glaze a locally owned business.

Funnily enough, Krispy Kreme Australia pretty much blackmailed GG about a year after they opened in an attempt to buy them out and re-brand, GG refused all offers.

Gourmet Glaze are better anyway, better ingredients and as a result fresher.
It's just a battle of the big rich Adelaide families. KK is the Shahins, and GG is the Makris family.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1519 Post by Ben » Tue May 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Nathan wrote:
It's just a battle of the big rich Adelaide families. KK is the Shahins, and GG is the Makris family.
Is that true? I suddenly couldn't care less anymore then.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#1520 Post by dsriggs » Wed May 06, 2015 12:56 am

Yeah, Gourmet Glaze aren't exactly "battlers", but at least more of the money you pay stays in SA.

...and seconding that they taste better too :wink:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1521 Post by crawf » Wed May 06, 2015 11:01 am

Ben wrote:
Nathan wrote:
+1

Patrick_27

#1522 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed May 06, 2015 5:52 pm

crawf wrote:
Ben wrote:
Nathan wrote:
+1
I find that to be a really unfair assessment of Gourmet Glaze and it's owner. Just because the brand is associated with the Makris family name doesn't mean it has the financial security of the Makris Group. Con's youngest son who runs the business has done so off the back of his own assets which are as standard as any other business owner, hence why Gourmet Glaze has remained a lone store for so long. Expansion comes at a cost and Makris Group's decision to move GG from the current KFC location in City X saw the business have to fork out a lot of money for relocation/refit as well as leasing an off-site premises for making the doughnuts which prior were made on-site.

Unlike the Shahin family (who jointly own all assets under the Peregrine name); if Krispy Kreme's fails, they have a lot to fall back on. If GG fail, it's not nearly as simple.

Nathan

#1523 Post by Nathan » Wed May 06, 2015 10:20 pm

Do you mean Jason Makris? According to his LinkedIn profile, in addition to being the owner of GG, he's also deputy CEO of the Makris Group.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1524 Post by how good is he » Wed May 06, 2015 11:37 pm

With KK it took many years for them to even be convinced to come to Adelaide and I have heard many stories of millions $$ being paid for the SA master rights as well as the ongoing franchisee/royalty fees...point being that I believe Peregrine has taken all the risk and I doubt KK has had to spend a cent. Point being, what do you think they have to fall back on from KK?

Patrick_27

#1525 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:44 pm

Nathan wrote:Do you mean Jason Makris? According to his LinkedIn profile, in addition to being the owner of GG, he's also deputy CEO of the Makris Group.

Deputy CEO*. I'll say it again, association in any way, shape or form doesn't mean financial security.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1526 Post by Ben » Thu May 07, 2015 8:35 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Nathan wrote:Do you mean Jason Makris? According to his LinkedIn profile, in addition to being the owner of GG, he's also deputy CEO of the Makris Group.

Deputy CEO*. I'll say it again, association in any way, shape or form doesn't mean financial security.
I'm pretty sure being the son of the wealthiest man in the state he will be fine if his donut shop doesn't survive. It's probably like a toy that he doesn't even play with anymore.

Patrick_27

#1527 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu May 07, 2015 3:05 pm

Ben wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:

I'm pretty sure being the son of the wealthiest man in the state he will be fine if his donut shop doesn't survive. It's probably like a toy that he doesn't even play with anymore.
Having known Jason personally for the last 14 years, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Anyway, back on topic.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1528 Post by rev » Thu May 07, 2015 4:00 pm

People still talking about the donut shops? Adelaide really is slow..

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#1529 Post by slenderman » Thu May 07, 2015 4:19 pm

how good is he wrote:With KK it took many years for them to even be convinced to come to Adelaide and I have heard many stories of millions $$ being paid for the SA master rights as well as the ongoing franchisee/royalty fees...point being that I believe Peregrine has taken all the risk and I doubt KK has had to spend a cent. Point being, what do you think they have to fall back on from KK?
You mean what does Peregrine have to fall back on if KK fails? Dunno, maybe that huge On The Run chain which bought all the Mobils and BPs a few years back and now has three times more servos in metropolitan Adelaide than the nearest competitor?

I like KK donuts more than most here, but I really won't feel to upset for Peregrine if KK fails here, when they've got such a huge advantage in the petrol market.

Llessur2002

#1530 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:24 pm

So, just out of personal curiosity (think I asked before but don't think I got an answer) - the old Harris Scarfe space in the Rundle Mall Plaza building (above JB Hi-Fi) - how big is it? I never went in there. Is it big enough for a fairly big chain to move in, or just a small store area?