News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#1906 Post by Nathan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:17 pm

Patrick_27 wrote: Lastly, Boost Juice are opening in the Rundle Place foodcourt, not sure how well they're going to trade with one in Adelaide Central Plaza and another in Rundle Mall, unless they're intending to close one of the existing stores?
Stupidly, this is in the exact location of the last juice bar — the kiosk of which was completely dismantled and removed only a couple of months ago.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1907 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:33 am

how good is he wrote:Peregrine have put in for council approval for a roof top bar/observation deck on the building they own opp. the mall - King William St Cnr Hindley St. As well as doing up the first floor for food/dining with alfresco balcony - for lease currently. May look like Stefans 'Jo-Jos' in Brisbane Mall.
I really hope it's something like that - that place is awesome (though sadly I don't think Peregrine will have the 'interesting' photos in the toilets Jo Jo's have).

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1908 Post by monotonehell » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:10 pm

Nathan wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote: Lastly, Boost Juice are opening in the Rundle Place foodcourt, not sure how well they're going to trade with one in Adelaide Central Plaza and another in Rundle Mall, unless they're intending to close one of the existing stores?
Stupidly, this is in the exact location of the last juice bar — the kiosk of which was completely dismantled and removed only a couple of months ago.
Maybe not stupid (pure speculation but...) maybe the old juice bar guys bought a Boost franchise? All the Boosts are very busy from what I've seen.

This may have been mentioned before - but Gourmet Glaze CityX seem to have gone dark.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1909 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:28 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Maybe not stupid (pure speculation but...) maybe the old juice bar guys bought a Boost franchise? All the Boosts are very busy from what I've seen.

This may have been mentioned before - but Gourmet Glaze CityX seem to have gone dark.
Every time I've walked past that Gourmet Glaze it's been closed. Inconsistent trading hours from GG is an easy free kick to Krispy Kreme.

Patrick_27

#1910 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:51 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
monotonehell wrote:This may have been mentioned before - but Gourmet Glaze CityX seem to have gone dark.
Every time I've walked past that Gourmet Glaze it's been closed. Inconsistent trading hours from GG is an easy free kick to Krispy Kreme.
The Makris' are no longer in the family but last I heard, Jason (the owner), was selling in order to move to Queensland to focus on Makris Group ventures up there. Not sure if the sale ever went through, but with it's current performance (or lack there of) it's highly likely. The only reason they were able to survive (in recent years) was because Makris Group were giving the business peppercorn rent in City X, it was always going to be hard for the new owners. That said, their profit margins went up significantly when KK first came to town.

Despite not being in contact with Jason, and him not owning GG anymore, I feel a little bit sad by the whole thing. Think what you like about GG, but Peregrine didn't give a fuck about who they put out of business when they brought KK here. And they claim they were doing it for all South Australians... Ha.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1911 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:36 pm

I'm struggling to understand how a very poor business plan from Gourmet Glaze is Peregrine's fault.

Patrick_27

#1912 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:04 am

Brucetiki wrote:I'm struggling to understand how a very poor business plan from Gourmet Glaze is Peregrine's fault.
Did I say that? I don't think I did... I said that Peregrine didn't care who they put out of business by setting up KK here in SA, which is a fact. Why else would they set up shop directly outside the arcade where their biggest competitor lives? It must've been a coincidence.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1913 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:03 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:I'm struggling to understand how a very poor business plan from Gourmet Glaze is Peregrine's fault.
Did I say that? I don't think I did... I said that Peregrine didn't care who they put out of business by setting up KK here in SA, which is a fact. Why else would they set up shop directly outside the arcade where their biggest competitor lives? It must've been a coincidence.
But it's GG's poor business plan and poor response to KK that has seen them close down.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1914 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:36 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
I'm sure it played a part in their decision making, though being located in a highly pedestrianised area is what would of sold the idea. At the end of the day, if GG wanted to make a bigger impact they should of expanded throughout the metro area or at least in the inner-city area. Instead, Peregrine / KK seised the opportunity and opened throughout Adelaide. Hypothetically though let's say if KK didn't come here and GG instead expanded throughout the metro area, that would of put of them in competition with family owned bakeries which could of possibly put them in jeopardy of closing or losing a big chunk of their revenue.

I'm usually very vocal against Peregrine's dominance in this state and find KK overrated, though I think it's unfair to solely blame them on GG's demise. KK would of come to Adelaide regardless if Peregrine didn't bring them here.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1915 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:24 am

Snippet from the tiser listing that Max Brenner will be opening on Rundle Street soon. First SA location.

Nathan

#1916 Post by Nathan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 am

crawf wrote:Snippet from the tiser listing that Max Brenner will be opening on Rundle Street soon. First SA location.
Yes, they're going where Eros Ouzeri was. Work has been going on for the last few months.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1917 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:53 pm

And also, ICYMI, next door to there is a tapas bar Iberia ADL under construction, while a sourdough (pizza?) place Albero across the road is nearly ready to open.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#1918 Post by Nathan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:14 pm

SRW wrote:And also, ICYMI, next door to there is a tapas bar Iberia ADL under construction, while a sourdough (pizza?) place Albero across the road is nearly ready to open.
It's the old Bimbo location. One of the partners in Iberia is the guy that runs Exchange Coffee. They've even rebuilt the entire ground level floor (knocked in the whole thing and have been rebuilding it - could see all the way down to the basement if you peaked through the hoarding.

Albero has been nearly open for months on end. The fit out has been absolutely glacial. It was supposed to be a Dolce & Co, with coming soon signs up for ages, before the switch.
Last edited by Nathan on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1919 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:27 pm

crawf wrote:Snippet from the tiser listing that Max Brenner will be opening on Rundle Street soon. First SA location.
For a moment I thought that said Max Basheer :lol:

skyliner

#1920 Post by skyliner » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:51 pm

Starbucks have no idea of good coffee nor have Gloria Jeans in my experience.(IMHO). In England it's like no-one has any idea except the Australian baristas. (found THREE in Bath in the UK - a city of 86000). Good coffee - made without bitterness from not cleaning coffee machines, right roasting temp. etc etc. You've got to go to genuine baristas to get the real stuff!
Jack.