News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2686 Post by Nathan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:05 pm

Looking at the render, my expectations are pretty low. I'm thinking this is going to look like something unsuited for anywhere in the mall, let alone a prime corner.

Llessur2002

#2687 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:15 pm

Speaking of high-profile city corners:
Bid to return Beehive building's historic balcony

Haigh’s Chocolates has applied to revive the iconic Beehive Corner building’s historic balcony, sparking calls for more Rundle Mall buildings to follow its lead.

A historical photograph shows the Beehive Building in the year 1901, with it original balcony overlooking what was then Rundle Street. Image: ACC

Haigh’s has submitted plans to reinstate the gothic building’s historic covered balcony overlooking Rundle Mall, and to build a new balcony, designed in the same flamboyant style, to activate the first level overlooking King William Street.

City councillor and heritage consultant Sandy Wilkinson told InDaily he hoped other historic buildings along the length of Rundle Mall would follow suit.

The building’s original balcony was removed when Rundle Mall was pedestrianised in the 1970s, said Wilkinson, as a result of a bylaw requiring buildings along the shopping strip to remove historic balconies.

“I’d like to see all the original balconies and verandahs reinstated all the way down… Rundle Mall,” he said.

A rendering of the proposed new design. Image: Dash Architects

“(The 1970s city council) considered them to be a possible (pedestrian) traffic issue.

“Adelaide Arcade … is one of the few buildings to still have its balcony.”

The proposed changes to Beehive Corner will be considered at a council meeting tonight because they do not comply with two technical elements of its encroachment policy.

But the council’s administration is recommending waiving compliance so that “important features of the historically significant” building can be reinstated and because it aligns with Rundle Mall Management Authority aspirations to activate upper levels and to “celebrate our collective memory”.
From: https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2018/ ... c-balcony/

Patrick_27

#2688 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 pm

I for one welcome the return of the balcony, by the looks of it this will also finally spell a revamp of the entire building's awnings which were not dealt with when the building was restored some years back. Would be great to see the building return to its historic uniformity.

Waewick

#2689 Post by Waewick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Seriously though, it shows how crap the council was even in the 70's.

A bylaw to remove balconies.

Llessur2002

#2690 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:27 pm

A sneaky photo of the progress on the ground floor of Rundle Mall plaza - the new H&M space - taken through a door which had been left open.

I usually wouldn't have posted this photo as it's a bit blurred and doesn't really show anything interesting, but seeing as I got shouted and gesticulated at for taking it (note: angry looking man in the yellow hat marching towards me) I thought what the hell.

The wall in the background of the picture is the Gawler Place side of the building. The blurry fella to the right of the picture is approximately where the old escalator used to be. The stud wall behind him is the boundary between H&M and the central area of the plaza and I'm pretty sure that the object covered in orange film behind the stud wall is the bottom of the new escalator coming down from the first floor.

Last edited by Llessur2002 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2691 Post by crawf » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Much appreciated Llessur!

After going to H&M recently in Europe, I cannot wait for it to finally come here.

Llessur2002

#2692 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:40 pm

crawf wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:27 pm
Much appreciated Llessur!

After going to H&M recently in Europe, I cannot wait for it to finally come here.
Same here - I've always got on well with H&M and stock up whenever we're in Europe or interstate. Most of their stuff is of a fairly good quality given the price, especially their LOGG labelled stuff.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2693 Post by Brando » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:19 pm

I've never set foot in a H&M store... I'm keen to see why everyone is excited.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#2694 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:35 pm

I found the ones in Australia are skewed toward an Australian market but there is fair bit of decent stock amongst it all.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2695 Post by timtam20292 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:32 pm

Well, they should’ve closed the door! Great photo, thanks for sharing it :applause:

The Scooter Guy

#2696 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:13 pm

After some years, T-Degrees is being fitted into the former Lucky 7 on King William St.

Also, noticed that Jasper's Cafe and Shunters Coffee Shop at the Adelaide Railway Station aren't open for trade.

In addition, the kiosk at Noarlunga Centre interchange had closed too.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Nathan

#2697 Post by Nathan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:43 pm

The Book Grocer is opening at 206 Rundle St on August 3. Rundle St could really do with a good book store (ever since Mary Martin closed), but going by what I've seen online, it looks like it's a fairly uninspiring budget chain (low quality fit out, all books $10 or under).

Patrick_27

#2698 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:43 pm
The Book Grocer is opening at 206 Rundle St on August 3. Rundle St could really do with a good book store (ever since Mary Martin closed), but going by what I've seen online, it looks like it's a fairly uninspiring budget chain (low quality fit out, all books $10 or under).
Don't let the Google Image be the judge of a store's quality. The Book Grocer are great, unlike the Pop Up Bookshops around Adelaide, The Book Grocer actually sell proper/official titles at good/lower prices and their fit-outs are warm and boutique. Think Angus and Robertson.

Patrick_27

#2699 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Empire Pool Lounge has announced on Facebook that they will be beginning their move to 2 Gresham Street (basement of 1KWS building). They're now the last business on the block neighbouring the old HQ to move which means they will make way for whatever goes there.

Llessur2002

#2700 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:16 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:30 pm
Empire Pool Lounge has announced on Facebook that they will be beginning their move to 2 Gresham Street (basement of 1KWS building). They're now the last business on the block neighbouring the old HQ to move which means they will make way for whatever goes there.
I've noticed there's been quite a lot of tradie activity at 2 Gresham Street lately - hopefully this is not too far off.