News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
baytram366
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3076 Post by baytram366 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:46 am

Speaking of the old Balfours shop in the mall, I noticed that they have taken down the original Balfours sign that was covered by the factory logo. I really hope that it was taken down to fix it rather than it being thrown away. I've saw on one of those Urban Exploration sites that the sign was still there, just hidden.
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3077 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:47 pm

New signs up at Adelaide Railway Station. Not sure which thread this should go in now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3078 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:55 pm

I knew about Mornings, but Elementary Coffee next door as well? That's going to be an interesting battle!

Nathan

#3079 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:01 pm

Abandoned Waymouth St food court to be transformed into new retail and dining plaza — with help from Jamie Durie
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business ... d296e80c9e

Work will begin within weeks on a new multimillion-dollar plaza in Adelaide’s CBD to sit alongside the General Post Office redevelopment.

Celebrity designer Jamie Durie has linked up with global architects Woods Bagot to revamp the ground floor area of 11 Waymouth St, which was sold to Singapore real estate investor Mapletree for $202 million in 2017.

The building houses about 2000 workers but its once-bustling ground floor food court has been largely abandoned.

The new plan includes a sparkling 300 square metre mezzanine floor, plus seven food, beverage and retail tenancies that will spread out into a plaza overlooked by the new $250m GPO Exchange office tower and a planned Westin hotel.

Woods Bagot’s project lead designer Simon Tothill said the plaza would provide food, drink, retail and workspace options for thousands of city employees in the area.

“There will be wi-fi coverage and people can move downstairs where the new tenancies will be,” he said.

“(When) Woods Bagot designed 11 Waymouth St in 2007, it was the first major office building in 10 years. But the lobby concept has been overtaken by free flowing eateries along Waymouth St.

“The plaza is an example of providing tenants a space to work and meet in.”

The Post Office redevelopment meant the adjoining Post Office Place laneway now provides a new access point at the building's rear.

An open doors approach within the building will be complemented by a new entrance, with a laneway — named Telegraph Lane in homage to the GPO — to be carved through the existing building to access the plaza.

That will be a continuation of the city’s Riverbank to Market laneways policy, Mr Tothill said.

An 180sqm flagship restaurant will be installed next to the planned Westin Hotel and will face inward to the plaza, he said.

“If we create our own laneway experience, we can drive people into a really beautiful plaza space. As soon as Westin became confirmed, it built a momentum.”

Almost 8000 people are expected to work in the buildings adjacent the plaza with 2400 workers coming from the new Charter Hall-built GPO tower alone.

Sydney-based celebrity designer Jamie Durie, who has a global profile thanks to his work with Oprah Winfrey, has been brought into the project to “greenscape” the plaza to create a “blur” between the interior and exterior elements, Mr Tothill said.

“Jamie will greenscape it all, there will be a green wall and there will be plenty of plants.

“Jamie is absolutely positive about it, from the smallest plant to the largest plant.”

The project will be completed within the first half of next year with late opening hours likely.

CBRE agents Julia Pottenger and Julie Thomas have been tasked with finding the new tenants.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3080 Post by SRW » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:12 pm

An open-access laneway sounds great but the thoroughfare from Waymouth is not clear to me from those visuals.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3081 Post by Norman » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:56 pm

I'm glad something is finally being done with that food court! Looking forward to seeing what kind of eateries will be moving in!

The Scooter Guy

#3082 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:21 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:47 pm
New signs up at Adelaide Railway Station. Not sure which thread this should go in now?

The 'Cash For Gold' sign needs to be removed.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3083 Post by AndyWelsh » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:30 pm

What cash for gold sign?

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#3084 Post by NTRabbit » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:59 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:30 pm
What cash for gold sign?

First photo, top left above the Coco Jumbo sign

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3085 Post by Ben » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:03 pm

I believe Hype are moving from City Cross to the corner tenancy previously occupied by Strandbags in Rundle/Gawler Pl.

This opens up that site to quite a large tenancy. They had taken the awnings down today.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3086 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:29 pm

Ben wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:03 pm
I believe Hype are moving from City Cross to the corner tenancy previously occupied by Strandbags in Rundle/Gawler Pl.

This opens up that site to quite a large tenancy. They had taken the awnings down today.
This movement makes you strongly suspect Rebel will be consolidating to their Myer Centre store too so that all these tenancies can be combined for a mini major (fingers crossed Uniqlo).
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27

#3087 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:02 am

SRW wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:29 pm
Ben wrote:

This movement makes you strongly suspect Rebel will be consolidating to their Myer Centre store too so that all these tenancies can be combined for a mini major (fingers crossed Uniqlo).
Wait, so does this mean that Hype will be on the corner whilst Strangbags will go next door taking up half of their original store and the old JeansWest store?

If City X are preparing for a mini-major, why hasn't there been any announcements or proposals submitted? OR are they preparing the space in an attempt to sell it to the likes of Uniqlo or Zara?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3088 Post by SRW » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:32 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:02 am
SRW wrote:
Ben wrote:

Wait, so does this mean that Hype will be on the corner whilst Strangbags will go next door taking up half of their original store and the old JeansWest store?

If City X are preparing for a mini-major, why hasn't there been any announcements or proposals submitted? OR are they preparing the space in an attempt to sell it to the likes of Uniqlo or Zara?
Ben's posted at least two dev apps City X has made for changes to its mall façade and tenancies, but with no visual or docs attached. We're left to speculate about the rest.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27

#3089 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:44 am

SRW wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:32 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:02 am
SRW wrote:

Ben's posted at least two dev apps City X has made for changes to its mall façade and tenancies, but with no visual or docs attached. We're left to speculate about the rest.
Must have missed that. Did City X end up selling? OR does Makris still own the centre? The whole place has gone downhill in past couple of years, especially the once highly regarded foodcourt.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3090 Post by Ben » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:37 am

Makris still owns it. He was unable to get anywhere near what he wanted for the site. He wouldn't spend money without this site being leased so someone must know something out there.