News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3151 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:46 pm

Ben wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:10 pm
There are Forever New signs on the City Cross Tenancy. Not an international major unfortunately.
Oh damn, explains where Forever New were going to end up but what a waste. City X really needs to sort it's shit out. Terrible layout, declining appeal in terms of retail and food offerings and no matter where you enter, probably the most offensive and uninviting arcade in the mall.

utaussiefan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3152 Post by utaussiefan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:24 pm

KFC in Myer Centre has closed recently a big black hoarding has been put over it. Unsure if its just closed for reno or closed permanently. It has definitely made McDonald's even busier now being the only fast food chain in there.

relapse
Gold-Member ;)

#3153 Post by relapse » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:30 pm

I noticed that Sephora is significantly smaller than the ones interstate (only around 2/3's the size of other stores)

Seems to be becoming an increasing trend in Adelaide with H&M and now Sephora (more than likely many others) opening smaller stores with smaller product lines in SA than elsewhere in the country.

nath91
Gold-Member ;)

#3154 Post by nath91 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Easy answer to that is the smaller population.

Over 1,000 people queued for it this morning. The brand power of these stores is crazy.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#3155 Post by arki » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 pm

It has nothing to do with smaller population. There is and always has been a major shortage of large lettable tenancies in the Rundle Mall precinct, which means that mini-majors are forced to provide smaller format stores if they have any desire of opening in the CBD.

When Zara opened at Burnside it was the biggest in the Southern Hemisphere - larger than both the Sydney and Melbourne stores.

Patrick_27

#3156 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:01 pm

arki wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 pm
It has nothing to do with smaller population. There is and always has been a major shortage of large lettable tenancies in the Rundle Mall precinct, which means that mini-majors are forced to provide smaller format stores if they have any desire of opening in the CBD.

When Zara opened at Burnside it was the biggest in the Southern Hemisphere - larger than both the Sydney and Melbourne stores.
Whilst I agree with you that it's not to do with population, H&M could have been larger if they wanted, they could have occupied the entire third floor of RMP but obviously chose not to. As for Sephora, there are other sites within the mall they they could have redeveloped or refitted for their use which are bigger than where they are now.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#3157 Post by arki » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:23 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:01 pm
arki wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 pm

Whilst I agree with you that it's not to do with population, H&M could have been larger if they wanted, they could have occupied the entire third floor of RMP but obviously chose not to. As for Sephora, there are other sites within the mall they they could have redeveloped or refitted for their use which are bigger than where they are now.
Do we know for sure that the entire third floor was made available to H&M as retail space? I agree that it is a very small store, especially the men's department. I have been to the H&M stores in Sydney and Melbourne CBD, but cannot compare it to some of the smaller stores interstate. I have been to several across Europe though, and one very regional (city/region of <50k) in particular which was close to double the size of RMP.

As for Sephora, it's not like they were looking to build a flagship in Adelaide. Yes, their Sydney store is large. But their Melbourne CBD store is tucked away in Melbourne Central.

Patrick_27

#3158 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:33 am

arki wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:23 pm
Do we know for sure that the entire third floor was made available to H&M as retail space? I agree that it is a very small store, especially the men's department. I have been to the H&M stores in Sydney and Melbourne CBD, but cannot compare it to some of the smaller stores interstate. I have been to several across Europe though, and one very regional (city/region of <50k) in particular which was close to double the size of RMP.
I'm not sure myself, but I do know that RMP planned health and wellness floor on level three is currently closed and doesn't show any signs of having tenants anytime soon. The mens section of H&M is absolutely pathetic, the second floor shouldn't have had any women's clothes but rather mens/children's/homewares.

Llessur2002

#3159 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:35 am

Small point - levels 3-6 of RMP are existing office space, Level 2 is the planned 'health and well-being centre' above H&M (there has been a bit of work going on there recently judging by the noise but haven't seen any sign of tenants moving in), Level 1 comprises the upper level of H&M and the food court :)

I'm also really not impressed by the men's section of H&M - it's tiny compared to most stores in Europe and interstate. I don't know why they didn't either extend up on to the second floor of RMP (surely a more reliable tenant than whoever occupies the wellbeing centre) or even down into the basement taking up the space occupied by Shin Tokyo, EB Games and the news agency. That's a space pretty much the same size as their existing ground floor and, judging by some of their existing stores elsewhere, H&M aren't generally put off by a multi-level format.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3160 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Chemist Warehouse progress at the end of Rundle Mall today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Llessur2002

#3161 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:50 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Classy :toilet:

Patrick_27

#3162 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:50 pm
AndyWelsh wrote:

"Real tacky"

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#3163 Post by JAKJ » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:02 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:50 pm
AndyWelsh wrote:

"Real tacky"
Yep, unfortunate they got such a big corner frontage, doesn't look great.

Nathan

#3164 Post by Nathan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:11 pm

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3165 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Also tonight:

Still queues at Sephora.

Hype DC is open.

Just thought this sculpture looks amazing.

City Cross.