News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Stubbo
Gold-Member ;)

Re: New Retail in the CBD

#271 Post by Stubbo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:54 am

Omicron wrote:
Nathan wrote:
cruel_world00 wrote:A friend of mine works there and said something about there being a greater focus on self checkouts and very few actual checkouts.
Screw that then. If they're anything like the ones at Coles on Grote St, then I couldn't be bothered. So far they've proved to be inaccurate, and constantly flagging errors, that it's MORE time consuming than waiting at a normal checkout.
I guarantee you that a good checkout operator will have you and your shopping out of the store in less time than a self-service machine. The problem, of course, is the lack of signage directing us to the good operators and away from the bitter old tarts, your new best friend with acute word vomit, or uninterested hair-twiddling sops.
I havent used self service checkouts in Coles, but have in Woolworths and Big W, and found them to be convenient and easy to use. I do see a problem though, that anyone with a low computer literacy is going to find them very daunting. They are definately the new version of the 'express lane' and they better put in an absolute sh!t load of them in the city store as that can get crazy busy with most people purchasing under 10-15 items, get 5-10 people who are not confident using self service and there goes your speedy exit (and maybe your closely timed train or bus).

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#272 Post by Omicron » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:59 pm

The key, of course, is that a (good) checkout operator can multi-task and adapt to suit the situation, whereas the machine can only do one thing at a time and approaches every transaction with the same routine.

I've long said that the machines are welcome to take over if operators are slower, less able to resolve problems, less accurate, and less welcoming to customers. I don't think we've yet reached that takeover point, but there's certainly room for a complementary relationship as Woolworths is exploring.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#273 Post by arki » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Oh its a supermaket for god sake!! Who cares?!
Lets get back to the things that matter - fashion retail...has anyone seen the Alannah Hill store? It looks FANTASTIC and especially at night, looks stunning. 10/10 for that redevelopment.

Omicron

#274 Post by Omicron » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:29 pm

arki wrote:Oh its a supermaket for god sake!! Who cares?!
Lets get back to the things that matter - fashion retail...has anyone seen the Alannah Hill store? It looks FANTASTIC and especially at night, looks stunning. 10/10 for that redevelopment.
My apologies.

I could use a fabulous new evening dress. Maybe I should stop by this week?

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#275 Post by Pikey » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:56 am

I know this isn't related to CBD, but it's the most pertinent place to put this.

http://westfield.com.au/aucentres/

If you are interested in seeing what stores are coming to Westfield stores, I suggest you take the following survey, makes for some interesting reading! Click on "What Shops do you want" and as part of the survey, a list of proposed stores are listed.

For example, Krispy Kreme, Adidas Originals, Borders, Toys R Us, Apple Store and Aldi are all proposed as new tenants at Westfield Marion.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Stubbo
Gold-Member ;)

#276 Post by Stubbo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:34 pm

Noticed a sign on Woollworths Rundle Mall stating it is opening on the 17th June, but today it was taken down so that may have been pushed back. A quick squiz inside through the roller door and it has internal signage and isles now

Nathan

#277 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:54 pm

A notice on the window has been put up, for a new yakitori bar opening up on Rundle St, where Not Coffee used to be. Could be a good addition.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#278 Post by Howie » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Our Woolworths redevelopment thread on the S-A forums has caught the eye of Benedict Brook from Woolworths media relations.

He just wanted to say that the opening will be on Thursday 17th June at 8am, with six new stores facing the mall along with a completely refurbished Woolies that includes self serve checkouts and new designed departments.

It will be opened by the longest serving member of staff - Jean Kemp - who's worked on the checkouts for 50 years.

Good on you guys!

Xaragmata

#279 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Howie wrote:
Our Woolworths redevelopment thread on the S-A forums has caught the eye of Benedict Brook from Woolworths media relations.

He just wanted to say that the opening will be on Thursday 17th June at 8am, with six new stores facing the mall along with a completely refurbished Woolies that includes self serve checkouts and new designed departments.

It will be opened by the longest serving member of staff - Jean Kemp - who's worked on the checkouts for 50 years.

Good on you guys!

Thanks Howie - if I'm in the city tomorrow I'll have a look - not at 8 am though! :)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#280 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:13 pm

Howie wrote:...It will be opened by the longest serving member of staff - Jean Kemp - who's worked on the checkouts for 50 years...
OMG is Jean still working there? She was there when I had a nightfill job there back in Y12...
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#281 Post by Punishment466 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:45 pm

You can expect to see 16 self serve checkouts in the Rundle Mall Woolworths store.

Yep. 16. :).

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#282 Post by iTouch » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:30 pm

the reopening created 100 open jobs for teens. Almost 5,000 applied lol
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#283 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:23 am

iTouch(myself) wrote:the reopening created 100 open jobs for teens. Almost 5,000 applied lol
It didn't create anything that the closing down earlier destroyed...
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#284 Post by jk1237 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:28 pm

Had a quick lookie at Woolies after work this arvo. There were so many shoppers inside I couldnt be bothered walking around much so I left. Looks like it was missed. Checkouts looked very chaotic with the amount of people. Good to see though

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#285 Post by Pants » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:54 pm

Yeah, walked in for a very quick look at lunch and it was freaking nuts. People everywhere. Then went in after work at about 7 to do some actual shopping and while far less chaotic, it was still pretty busy. It looked like the people there would be the types to continue shopping there (as opposed to the lunchtime Adelaide-loves-an-opening-day crowd) so I'd imagine that it'll stay as or more busy than it always was.

As for the shop itself, it's nice enough but nothing special or different to any of the renovated stores. Hate the lino, especially the random, out dated diamonds in the entrance and wonder why they couldn't just polish the concrete, but hey, it's a Woolies and it's really, really handy.

The opening looks really narrow and uninviting at the moment but I imagine that the feel will change when (I assume) the new specialty retail tenancies will have glass walls facing into the supermarket entrance.