News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: New Retail in the CBD

#331 Post by Will » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:01 pm

dancing banana!

yousername
High Rise Poster!

#332 Post by yousername » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:24 am

Will wrote:dancing banana!
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#333 Post by bm7500 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:41 am

I was there at the Rundle Mall Retailers Forum on Wednesday night when this was announced. Its a great initiative for the city and i hope that both the retailers and City workers get behind it.

:applause:
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Benski81
High Rise Poster!

#334 Post by Benski81 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Finally!!! :cheers:

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#335 Post by jk1237 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:18 pm

first in flight shoe store has closed in Ebenezor Place. This makes me sad. Quite a few stores have closed in the east end in last few months. Atleast is doesnt take too long for them to be re let out again. Cold rock icecream is another one to go

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#336 Post by Ben » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:47 pm

Adelaide's first Metalicus is due to open on Rundle Street next month.

Also Lorna Jane opened on Rundle Street last week.

Burger
Gold-Member ;)

#337 Post by Burger » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:12 pm

A bit late on this topic but just a comment on the 7pm close - if you happen to be in Melbourne or Sydney on a weekday evening, have a look at the shops from 5pm onwards. Many on the 'ant-trails' love the evening trade because they do almost as much trade then as they do at lunchtime. It also has the benefit of keeping the CBD workers' money in the CBD rather than being sucked out to the Westies and Centros on weekends. Well done to whomever has made this decision but Transadelaide also needs to push their 'PM peak' services out a bit later to ensure those who stay and shop can still get home efficiently rather than going to half hours services at 6pm like they used to (haven't caught Adelaide PT for a while).

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#338 Post by Norman » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:14 pm

Public transport after 6pm has improved a lot over the last few years, there are a lot of routes now operating half-hourly after 7pm, and more frequent up to 7pm.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#339 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:18 pm

I would really love to have later shopping in the mall every day of the week, I really would. I just can't see it being successful. Usually in the week before Christmas they have late night shopping and even then it is near empty unless it's a Friday. And that's the week before Christmas! Maybe it's a matter of people needing time to get used to it, but I can't see this lasting very long. I expect the shops will give up when they realise only a handful of people are in the mall. Afterall, they are allowed to stay open past 5:30 already on weekdays but choose not to.

On the plus side at least they are only planning to stay open until 7pm as any later would be asking for failure. Despite my pessimism I really hope it catches on.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#340 Post by ynotsfables » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:24 pm

Remember Adelaide plans to have a more residential population in the near future, they need to shop as well as the suburbanites late at night so there's no reason this shouldn't work.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#341 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:I would really love to have later shopping in the mall every day of the week, I really would. I just can't see it being successful. Usually in the week before Christmas they have late night shopping and even then it is near empty unless it's a Friday. And that's the week before Christmas! Maybe it's a matter of people needing time to get used to it, but I can't see this lasting very long. I expect the shops will give up when they realise only a handful of people are in the mall. Afterall, they are allowed to stay open past 5:30 already on weekdays but choose not to.

On the plus side at least they are only planning to stay open until 7pm as any later would be asking for failure. Despite my pessimism I really hope it catches on.
I disagree, Rundle Mall is jammed packed at 5-7pm around Christmas time. Even the mall is semi busy around 6ish pm even if most of the shops have closed

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#342 Post by jk1237 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Woolworths in the mall is always busy up until close, so hopefully thats a sign the 7pm closing will work. Personally Id love it

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#343 Post by Will » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:29 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:I would really love to have later shopping in the mall every day of the week, I really would. I just can't see it being successful. Usually in the week before Christmas they have late night shopping and even then it is near empty unless it's a Friday. And that's the week before Christmas! Maybe it's a matter of people needing time to get used to it, but I can't see this lasting very long. I expect the shops will give up when they realise only a handful of people are in the mall. Afterall, they are allowed to stay open past 5:30 already on weekdays but choose not to.

They said that Sunday shopping would never work.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#344 Post by Ben » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:28 pm

Peter Alexander will be the last of the 4 retail tenancies at the Woolworths site.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#345 Post by jk1237 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:55 pm

Ben wrote:Peter Alexander will be the last of the 4 retail tenancies at the Woolworths site.
um, who?