News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: New Retail in the CBD

#481 Post by Waewick » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Nathan wrote:We don't need a Dan Murphy's in the CBD. We don't need the Woolies/Wesfarmers duopoly taking over any more than it already has. There's already a Vintage Cellars (Wesfarmers) at Central Market.

I'd prefer to see more liquor stores in the vain of East End Cellars.
so do I

but the problem which is quite clear is people are not prepared to pay for the service or the uniqueness.

Like most places Adelaidians want cheap cheap cheap and did I mention cheap?

Omicron

#482 Post by Omicron » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:35 pm

I've always found that the proper wine chaps in Dan Murphy's - those doing the tastings, and with the little badges saying, er, 'Proper Wine Chap' or something like that, have always been very knowledgeable and helpful. Many are just worker bees filling this and that, which is to be expected in such a high-volume store, but if you ask the right person, they're full of good advice.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#483 Post by ml69 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:00 am

Unlikely to ever happen, due to the type of customer which shops in Dan Murphy's.

Dan's are "destination" rather than "convenience" outlets, meaning that customers are usually prepared to drive large distances to travel to a store. Once there, the customer makes (on average) a larger $ purchase than they do in a BWS or Woolworths Liquor outlet for example. Having made their purchase, customers will usually want to load it into their car.

A Central Market location doesn't easily lend itself to that, as do CBD locations in general. This may explain why there is only one Dan Murphy's store located within a CBD in Australia (Melbourne).

PS. I've worked closely with Woolworths/Dan Murphy's in the liquor industry over the past year.

Burger
Gold-Member ;)

#484 Post by Burger » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:47 pm

ml69 wrote:
Has anyone heard any more info on this? Or whether Apple or Zara are planning to open a store in the Adelaide CBD?

I think the opening of an Apple and/or Zara store in Rundle Mall would be a huge drawcard to attract shoppers into the city if the reaction to the Sydney Zara opening is anything to go by. I've also walked past the Apple store in George St Sydney (lived there the past 14 months) and the place is absolutely packed.

If the Adelaide Oval redevelopment goes ahead it would be a boon to see a massive influx of people there on the weekend. Would really get the mall pumping ....
Hope I pulled the quote through properly - apologies to ml69 if I didn't.

I know for a fact that a deal has already been done with Apple for the CBD...but they won't be opening for a couple of years because the space has yet to be created for them. I don't know if they are looking outside of the CBD for a suburban store with a shorter lead-time (Marion, Norwood, BV...).

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#485 Post by Pants » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:15 pm

There've been a few occasions in this thread where people have said that deals have been done to bring a particular brand into the mall that are waiting on retail space to open up... who exactly are these deals being done with?

I can understand such deals being done with shopping centre operators, but as the mall tenancies have various owners, who's signing on as future landlords?

Is it that a deal's been done with an owner of one or more tenancies in the mall and it's waiting on a specific or other tenancy held by that owner to become available or are these deals not really deals, but the brand just expressing an interest in coming over subject to a suitable space opening up, whoever the owner?

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#486 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:47 pm

ml69 wrote:I've also walked past the Apple store in George St Sydney (lived there the past 14 months) and the place is absolutely packed
....with tourists taking advantage of free internet.

source of info
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#487 Post by source of info » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:58 pm

i know theo maras is now part of the rundle mall board. he was brought in as an advisor and mediator between landlords and tenants as he has the best contacts in the industry. there was an article in the paper not long ago stating he was brought in and was in charge of putting landlords/owners in touch with brands, hence the increase in brands hitting the cbd. Pretty sure apple is getting mall frontage in the new HS building, as ACP are having trouble accomadating their needs. They should take the Borders site, good size and location. I know he will do anything to get the brands off of BV, as the mall/North Tce & rundle street are his master plan of major retail.

Burger
Gold-Member ;)

#488 Post by Burger » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Pants wrote:There've been a few occasions in this thread where people have said that deals have been done to bring a particular brand into the mall that are waiting on retail space to open up... who exactly are these deals being done with?
Pants, in reference to my comment earlier today, the deal has been done directly with the Owner and the site is currently under development (that should pretty much give away the location).

I'm trying to get my hands on some floor plans and will post them if I do.

Nathan

#489 Post by Nathan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:51 pm

source of info wrote:i know theo maras is now part of the rundle mall board. he was brought in as an advisor and mediator between landlords and tenants as he has the best contacts in the industry. there was an article in the paper not long ago stating he was brought in and was in charge of putting landlords/owners in touch with brands, hence the increase in brands hitting the cbd. Pretty sure apple is getting mall frontage in the new HS building, as ACP are having trouble accomadating their needs. They should take the Borders site, good size and location. I know he will do anything to get the brands off of BV, as the mall/North Tce & rundle street are his master plan of major retail.
Seems odd for Apple to want in there. They typically want a lot of control on the look of the store facade, and I can't see them settling for that horrible beige blandness that is the HS building.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#490 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:42 pm

It's going to be very interesting to see what store will take over the Borders building, could be prefect for Apple.

A beautiful old building with a ultra modern interior..

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#491 Post by Ben » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:09 pm

crawf wrote:It's going to be very interesting to see what store will take over the Borders building, could be prefect for Apple.

I thought Zara. It's a massive store. it would be too big for Apple.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#492 Post by SRW » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:55 pm

Ben wrote:
crawf wrote:It's going to be very interesting to see what store will take over the Borders building, could be prefect for Apple.

I thought Zara. It's a massive store. it would be too big for Apple.
+1
Keep Adelaide Weird

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#493 Post by HeapsGood » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:17 am

ml69 wrote:Unlikely to ever happen, due to the type of customer which shops in Dan Murphy's.

Dan's are "destination" rather than "convenience" outlets, meaning that customers are usually prepared to drive large distances to travel to a store. Once there, the customer makes (on average) a larger $ purchase than they do in a BWS or Woolworths Liquor outlet for example. Having made their purchase, customers will usually want to load it into their car.

A Central Market location doesn't easily lend itself to that, as do CBD locations in general. This may explain why there is only one Dan Murphy's store located within a CBD in Australia (Melbourne).

PS. I've worked closely with Woolworths/Dan Murphy's in the liquor industry over the past year.
It could work for the Central Markets considering many people do park there. But I totally get your point. I just want cheap booze for after work drinks :p
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#494 Post by Ben » Tue May 03, 2011 3:08 pm

Likely location of a high end retailer but it will be a small store whoever it is:
Type: Development Application Received
Application Number: DA/340/2011
Lodgement Date: 2/05/2011
Location: Bang & Olufsen, Ground 25 Grenfell Street, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Internal and external alterations and create 2 tenancies from 1.

Omicron

#495 Post by Omicron » Tue May 03, 2011 11:30 pm

I wonder if B&O have ever sold....anything from that store?