News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2281 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:28 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:40 am
I doubt Uniqlo would want either space. They'd be demanding significant frontage.
I don't know what gives you that idea? Their Melbourne store doesn't have significant external frontage?

[Shuz]

#2282 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:07 pm

Was going to say. Uniqlo's street front to Lonsdale Street is basically two double doors and all the walls / windows to the street are covered in Uniqlo signage and internally the clothing racks abut the frontage floor-to-ceiling. They're not fussy about street fronts.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#2283 Post by arki » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:57 pm

While I don't disagree that they may not be so concerned about a significant 'external frontage', one has prominence in the Emporium while the other could potentially have an escalator up to a tacky CX space.

I agree with Nathan that both sites would seem unsuitable to Uniqlo.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2284 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:56 am

arki wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:57 pm
While I don't disagree that they may not be so concerned about a significant 'external frontage', one has prominence in the Emporium while the other could potentially have an escalator up to a tacky CX space.

I agree with Nathan that both sites would seem unsuitable to Uniqlo.
They would have a decent frontage inside City Cross though.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2285 Post by Pants » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:39 pm

It could be a long-term goal for a mini-major at CX - if the Telstra store went and tenancies on the upper floor are on their way, including A-Mart Sports and the cafe that was next to it, the wall between the Telstra store and the escalator from the mall to A-Mart could be removed, leaving some mall frontage via the ex-Telstra store and some pretty decent-sized space upstairs that is accessible through an internal escalator.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2286 Post by SRW » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:06 pm

Makes you wonder how Harris Scarfe is faring without ground floor frontage.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#2287 Post by Eurostar » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:44 am

SRW wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:06 pm
Makes you wonder how Harris Scarfe is faring without ground floor frontage.
I have not seen Harris Scarfe busy for years in all their stores I have been to. Before they rebuilt the city building, they were the last department store in Rundle Mall to have mall frontage

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2288 Post by Ben » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:31 pm

The athletes foot and jurlique have closed in rmp. Not much left now. Massive dead zone in the mall.

Nathan

#2289 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Ben wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:40 pm
Nathan wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:15 pm
And in further Rundle St news, Bing Boy has closed, and Lorna Jane will also soon be shutting up shop (not surprising though, given they have a store in the mall as well).
I walked past today and they were open. I don't think they open till 11am so maybe it was before that you walked past?
Definitely both closed now. Lorna Jane is completely cleared out, and Bing Boy certainly wasn't open at lunch time today. For lease notice up in the window.

Patrick_27

#2290 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:40 pm

Ben wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:31 pm
The athletes foot and jurlique have closed in rmp. Not much left now. Massive dead zone in the mall.
Weird... Jurlique only just lodged an application with the ACC for minor external/signage upgrades?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2291 Post by Ben » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:43 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:40 pm
Ben wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:31 pm
Weird... Jurlique only just lodged an application with the ACC for minor external/signage upgrades?
I saw that too but I don't think the applicant was jurlique. That was just the location so I'd say it's been leased Maybe to the jeweler?

arki
High Rise Poster!

#2292 Post by arki » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:01 pm

Does anyone have copies of the renders for RMP? With Photobuckets annoying ransom I missed out on seeing them.

The Scooter Guy

#2293 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:02 pm

Speaking of North Adelaide in 'crisis', Intimode Boutique on Melbourne St is biting the dust.
Could this mean a repeat of the Global Financial Crisis or the Stock Market Crash? :hilarious:
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2294 Post by Ben » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:57 pm

Looks like works are about to start, although Swarovski and OPSM haven't moved yet.

Type: Complying Development
Application Number: DA/529/2017
Lodgement Date: 14/08/2017
Location: RUNDLE MALL PLAZA, 44-60 Rundle Mall, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Base building works (Swarovski, OPSM, Jam Factory & New Specialty).
Applicant Name:

HAMES SHARLEY P/L

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2295 Post by Ben » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:19 am

Redevelopment in March but may happen sooner.

Hopefully its significant.
Citi Centre Arcade food sellers claim trade down by half after tables and chairs removed and toilet shut
Sophie Perri, The City
16 minutes ago
A CITI Centre Arcade tenant says trade has been down by half since the new owners of the Rundle Mall shopping centre cleared away the majority of tables and chairs last week.

Master Chef Indian Tandoori owner Rao Chep said he knew the arcade connecting Rundle Mall and Pulteney St was slated for redevelopment in March next year, but thought trading would run as normal.

“It’s not a good feeling – I’m not happy,” said Mr Chep, who has spent $70,000 on light and gas fittings for his stall.

“For five days I can’t sleep. I sleep for 10 minutes and I wake up and see this in my dreams.

”My daughter turned 18 on August 19 and I took her a cheesecake and she said, ‘No, I don’t cut, this is sad news.’”

While management has now returned about 10 table settings to the arcade, the toilets remain locked every day – aside from noon-2pm – and vendors say the cleaners have had their hours cut.

When The City visited Mr Chep, who runs the business with his wife Manju, a customer asked why the toilets were locked.

“Six months is OK, but don’t take the tables, don’t lock the toilets,” Mr Chep said.

Ke Chong, who works at Eastern Delights, said trade was getting “harder and harder”.

“They have already locked up the public toilets so somehow it’s like they are forcing us to move,” she said.

Joanne Datsopoulos of Arena Coffee said there was “no choice” but to deal with it.

“You come for lunch and you see there’s hardly any tables and chairs. Sometimes people walk away,” she said.

Citi Centre management did not to respond to The City.