News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2836 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:00 pm

I was pretty disappointed with the men's offering - it's a very condensed range. I'm at a loss as to why they didn't take advantage of the second floor of RMP, or take up the basement space where the newsagency, and EB Games are now (although I guess both are always an option for the future).

That aside, it's great to have them in Adelaide.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2837 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:03 pm

Mpol03 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:00 pm
I always leave with something when I’m in the Melbourne store. There wasn’t a thing I’d get at our store currently. But, being fast fashion that can change regularly.
I got some socks, but I'd also done my H&M shopping at Bondi the other week so I wasn't proactively looking this time around.

If I were making the effort I'd still probably have bought a couple of things.

Agree that the decision to condense the mens section is a bizarre one though.

Patrick_27

#2838 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:17 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:03 pm
Mpol03 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:00 pm
I always leave with something when I’m in the Melbourne store. There wasn’t a thing I’d get at our store currently. But, being fast fashion that can change regularly.
I got some socks, but I'd also done my H&M shopping at Bondi the other week so I wasn't proactively looking this time around.

If I were making the effort I'd still probably have bought a couple of things.

Agree that the decision to condense the mens section is a bizarre one though.
Was in at Bourke Street a month or so back, Adelaide's men's section simply doesn't cut it by comparison. In Melbourne there are whole sections for blazers and bits, jumpers and jackets, shirts, t's, and shoes. What we have is one or two items of each crammed into 1/4 of the whole store. What gets me is how the Homewares and Kids section is almost bigger than the men's section. They should have taken the second or basement level as mentioned here.

Also I was a little let down by the finishes in store, the tile work on the floor looks really poorly done considering how long they have spent doing this fit out...

H&M aside, if RMP is going to do well out of this redevelopment, they really need to carefully choose who their tenants are in the foodcourt. The basement feels dead, I know there is a space for a eatery tenant but who knows whether that will come about, the ground level cafe appears to be dead already. They need to find drawcard tenants for inside the centre.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2839 Post by crawf » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:18 am

I'm also pretty underwhelmed by the new H&M store, especially considering we have waited years for this.
Patrick_27 wrote:What gets me is how the Homewares and Kids section is almost bigger than the men's section. They should have taken the second or basement level as mentioned here.
Agreed.

ChillyPhilly

#2840 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:31 am

I can only see it being a matter of time before H&M here is expanded - give it a couple of years. Agree about the sentiments regarding the size of the men's section, that was very surprising.

My first visit to H&M was actually in Perth in July, and that one was pretty big in every regard. Both there and the Bourke Street dwarf the men's range here.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2841 Post by Ben » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:34 am

I initially found menswear hard to find. Through a small doorway at the rear of the store. There were too many walls I thought.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2842 Post by how good is he » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:46 am

Possibly it’s the original buildings footprint & structural columns etc that limit the design of the fit out etc.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2843 Post by SRW » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:00 am

It seems the Mall has abandoned the live pines for plastic Christmas trees this year, as the decorations and string lights make their return for the upcoming Pageant and silly season.
Keep Adelaide Weird

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2844 Post by timtam20292 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:34 am

Thank goodness, what a joke those pines were, being replace every couple of weeks.

Patrick_27

#2845 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:46 am

Plastic trees that look as though they've been purchased from Kmart, no baubles either... Oh, and the wooden trees. It's basically a Kmart Christmas display.

Why can't they stop trying to be edgy and just put together a traditional display? Hell, put the Victoria Square tree in Gawler Place and do something similar to the Rockefeller Christmas tree OR bring back the hang-down decorations that were hung the first year the new mall lights were up.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#2846 Post by HiTouch » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:58 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:46 am
Plastic trees that look as though they've been purchased from Kmart, no baubles either... Oh, and the wooden trees. It's basically a Kmart Christmas display.

Why can't they stop trying to be edgy and just put together a traditional display? Hell, put the Victoria Square tree in Gawler Place and do something similar to the Rockefeller Christmas tree OR bring back the hang-down decorations that were hung the first year the new mall lights were up.
I agree. FFS keep Christmas non-hipster.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#2847 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:20 am

They aren't even hipster though... Just in cheap poor taste.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2848 Post by Ben » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:50 pm

I was in the mall before and although its still unfinished looks a million times better than any other decorations since the refurb. There is plenty of traditional trees so maybe they weren't out when some of you other guys looked. There is also red and green Christmas banners all the way down. What I really like this year is they have used the same theme and pattern throughout the whole CBD. It looks quite good. Looking forward top seeing it when complete.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#2849 Post by HiTouch » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:06 pm

Ben wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:50 pm
I was in the mall before and although its still unfinished looks a million times better than any other decorations since the refurb. There is plenty of traditional trees so maybe they weren't out when some of you other guys looked. There is also red and green Christmas banners all the way down. What I really like this year is they have used the same theme and pattern throughout the whole CBD. It looks quite good. Looking forward top seeing it when complete.
Personally, I’d be more in favour of some major Christmas light pollution + a heavy amount of garland wreaths stretching along the Rundle mall facades, stretching around every light post infused with Christmas lights and glittery reindeer statues.
Go full-canada with Christmas trees next to every shop door absolutely ablaze with Christmas lights. Shops open later and close later at around 9pm from the pageant day onwards. People dressed as elves promoting the Magic Cave and a Town Crier yelling how many days till Christmas. The background noise of a salvos ensemble playing Christmas carols. With our Christmas Pageant and Magic Cave, we are traditionally meant to be the Christmas Capital of Australia. Why not just go all out with a Christmas Market as well and open up some spaces to set up shop along Rundle mall as well?

Seriously ACC put me in charge!!

SBD

#2850 Post by SBD » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:06 pm
Ben wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:50 pm
Personally, I’d be more in favour of some major Christmas light pollution + a heavy amount of garland wreaths stretching along the Rundle mall facades, stretching around every light post infused with Christmas lights and glittery reindeer statues.
Go full-canada with Christmas trees next to every shop door absolutely ablaze with Christmas lights. Shops open later and close later at around 9pm from the pageant day onwards. People dressed as elves promoting the Magic Cave and a Town Crier yelling how many days till Christmas. The background noise of a salvos ensemble playing Christmas carols. With our Christmas Pageant and Magic Cave, we are traditionally meant to be the Christmas Capital of Australia. Why not just go all out with a Christmas Market as well and open up some spaces to set up shop along Rundle mall as well?

Seriously ACC put me in charge!!
From my one experience of Christmas in Canada, the big difference that it is reasonable to go for a drive to look at the lights after dark, then go home for an early evening meal. Five hours difference in sunset time make a lot of difference to how impressive the Christmas light display feels. Sunset is well before the shops would close.