News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3091 Post by rev » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:18 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:44 am
SRW wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:32 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:02 am

Wait, so does this mean that Hype will be on the corner whilst Strangbags will go next door taking up half of their original store and the old JeansWest store?

If City X are preparing for a mini-major, why hasn't there been any announcements or proposals submitted? OR are they preparing the space in an attempt to sell it to the likes of Uniqlo or Zara?
Ben's posted at least two dev apps City X has made for changes to its mall façade and tenancies, but with no visual or docs attached. We're left to speculate about the rest.
Must have missed that. Did City X end up selling? OR does Makris still own the centre? The whole place has gone downhill in past couple of years, especially the once highly regarded foodcourt.
Didn't you once say you were related to them or something?
They still own it, it's still listed in their portfolio on their site.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3092 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:29 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:18 am
Didn't you once say you were related to them or something?
They still own it, it's still listed in their portfolio on their site.
I was, once. That engagement ended a few years ago, around the time they started relocating their operations to the Sunshine Coast. I hold no allegiance anymore. :lol: Mustn't have been able to sell it, the last I heard from them was that they were trying to wipe away most of their saleable assets here in SA.

The Scooter Guy

#3093 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:54 pm

With the new Foodland in full swing, small convenience stores in the city are now gradually becoming a thing of the past.

Just recently, three stores; KBS Convenience (Currie St), City Convenience (Grenfell St) and KW Cornerstore (Cnr Waymouth St/King William St) have shut up shop.
And there was not even a prior-warning it was going to happen. It just slipped right through the cracks. :evil:

Besides, prices at Foodland are cheaper and better than ever.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Patrick_27

#3094 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:44 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:54 pm
With the new Foodland in full swing, small convenience stores in the city are now gradually becoming a thing of the past.

Just recently, three stores; KBS Convenience (Currie St), City Convenience (Grenfell St) and KW Cornerstore (Cnr Waymouth St/King William St) have shut up shop.
And there was not even a prior-warning it was going to happen. It just slipped right through the cracks. :evil:

They probably closed without warning because most of those kinds of convenience stores are established in a way that is cheap and short-term. That's probably the one downside of not having 7 Eleven here (never thought I'd utter such words) at-least they're consistent in the standard and upkeep of their stores who knows why OTR have never tried to break into this market. Anyway, good that Foodland have found their niche in the CBD.

SBD

#3095 Post by SBD » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:29 am

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:54 pm

Two of those three are closer to Coles Grote Street, and have Woolworths Rundle Mall between them and the new Foodland. It seems to be drawing a long bow to blame Foodland for their closure.

The Scooter Guy

#3096 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Another SA business is no more as the last Shoe Shed in the Myer Centre goes out with a bang.
It's literally high time the retail industry pulls its head outta its butt and realizes that today's online shopping culture and trade agreements are an Asset, not a Liability.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

SBD

#3097 Post by SBD » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:49 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:29 pm
Another SA business is no more as the last Shoe Shed in the Myer Centre goes out with a bang.
It's literally high time the retail industry pulls its head outta its butt and realizes that today's online shopping culture and trade agreements are an Asset, not a Liability.
I've lost a couple of local suburban shoe shops recently too. Seriously, who buys shoes online without trying them on first - am I that old-fashioned???

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#3098 Post by Goodsy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:24 am

SBD wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:49 pm
The Scooter Guy wrote:
I've lost a couple of local suburban shoe shops recently too. Seriously, who buys shoes online without trying them on first - am I that old-fashioned???
Yes

SBD

#3099 Post by SBD » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:10 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:24 am
SBD wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:49 pm
The Scooter Guy wrote:
Yes
OUCH

...but I still want to try on the shoes I intend to wear all day before I commit to them, since I think every pair I own and wear regulary has a different number in the "size" box.

jorcoga
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3100 Post by jorcoga » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:04 pm

Noticed today that the Subway and Krispy Kreme (which I could swear just opened) on Rundle Street had both been gutted and had the interior wall separating them removed, anyone have any idea what's going on there?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3101 Post by Ben » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:07 pm

It will be an otr convenience I believe.

SBD

#3102 Post by SBD » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:08 pm

Ben wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:07 pm
A bit further up the page, people are blaming Rundle Mall Foodland for the loss of three convenience stores. This new convenience store would be a similar distance from Foodland as the closest of those three.

Patrick_27

#3103 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:47 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:08 pm
Ben wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:07 pm
A bit further up the page, people are blaming Rundle Mall Foodland for the loss of three convenience stores. This new convenience store would be a similar distance from Foodland as the closest of those three.
Explains a lot. That Krispy Kreme was only meant to be temporary, so they must have had this planned for a while. I wonder if they're going to reopen a Subway here?

nath91
Gold-Member ;)

#3104 Post by nath91 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:46 am

Walking along North Terrace yesterday, past the old Club 199 and heritage buildings, am so sick of seeing this area neglected and dilapidated.

While I've felt Luxury retail should be at Burnside, couldn't help but think a cluster of luxury brands in this location, continuing on from Tiffany & Co, could be such an invigoration to North Tce, in line with the upcoming redeveloped Skycity and Riverbank, as well as when Realm and Adeladian are completed further up the road.

Got my crappy photoshop skills on for a bit of fun.

Wonder if there was any progress with this viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1440&start=360
Attachments
Chanel Gucci.jpg
LV Prada Adelaide.jpg

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3105 Post by Ben » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:59 am

Love it and wish it would happen. My understanding is these luxury brands will soon make an appearance in the CBD but will be in a new purpose built centre.