News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2371 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:52 am

Nathan wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:48 am
Really, if a new supermarket was to open in the city, it should be tied to the railway station to capture a heap of rail commuters (and people going to the oval). It doesn't make much sense to me to open in the mall and have to compete for the same slice as the existing Woolworths and Coles.
That really irks me as a rail commuter - in many cities worldwide there are small supermarkets at or very close to railway stations. It would be so convenient to be able to grab a few bits and pieces on my way home during the week. If there was room to relocate some of the offices and open up even a small sized IGA or similar at the station I reckon it would make a killing.
Nathan wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:48 am
As for any other players... Kaufland?
I did think about them but my understanding is they're more of a large-format car-based affair no?

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2372 Post by Pikey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:57 am

If it does end up being Woolworths, having them relocate would free up a rather large, prime and I would suggest, in high demand site in the centre of the mall...

Just a thought.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#2373 Post by Allkai » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:09 pm

Pikey wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:57 am
If it does end up being Woolworths, having them relocate would free up a rather large, prime and I would suggest, in high demand site in the centre of the mall...
Vodafone would have to go too, its a weird arrangement with that tenancy taking up half the mall frontage.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2374 Post by Pants » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:46 pm

There was talk of an international clothing retailer looking to take up Woolies' spot in the mall, so...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2375 Post by monotonehell » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:14 pm

Allkai wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:09 pm
Pikey wrote:
Vodafone would have to go too, its a weird arrangement with that tenancy taking up half the mall frontage.
Not at all. If it's a supermarket they wont want any frontage. Remember how wide Woolies frontage used to be? The fact that the only remaining tenants are all on the perimetre seems to support the rumour.

I wana Kaufland though, not just a moved Woolies. Ich muss bei Kaufland einkaufen!
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#2376 Post by Allkai » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:22 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:14 pm
Allkai wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:09 pm
Pikey wrote:
Not at all. If it's a supermarket they wont want any frontage. Remember how wide Woolies frontage used to be? The fact that the only remaining tenants are all on the perimetre seems to support the rumour.
?

I was referring to a "major retailer" moving in to where Woolworths currently is.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2377 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:50 pm

My money is on Woolworths. Woolworths will be opening at the West Franklin development, presumably a full-size supermarket. I'd say their aim is downsize and go for the Southern Cross and Swanson Street style Woolworths seen in Melbourne - the site they have in the mall currently is unnecessarily massive over its two levels and could be better used for a new development which then might allow for bigger retail chains to descend on the mall. Furthermore, they probably see the sense in distancing themselves from Coles.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2378 Post by monotonehell » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:16 am

Allkai wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:22 pm
I was referring to a "major retailer" moving in to where Woolworths currently is.
Ah right, sorry, carry on... :)
Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:50 pm
My money is on Woolworths. Woolworths will be opening at the West Franklin development, presumably a full-size supermarket. I'd say their aim is downsize and go for the Southern Cross and Swanson Street style Woolworths seen in Melbourne - the site they have in the mall currently is unnecessarily massive over its two levels and could be better used for a new development which then might allow for bigger retail chains to descend on the mall. Furthermore, they probably see the sense in distancing themselves from Coles.
It's awkward over two levels. But is it massive? Woolies range compared to Coles opposite is very limited.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2379 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:40 am

Considering this 'chain' requires a rear docking bay in CitiCentre, my money is also on Woolworths.

The current Woolworths site is perfect for a major fashion chain with it's multi-level floors and if you take out those smaller shops, it has a huge frontage to the mall which is exactly what these stores want. It's such a big site, perhaps it could fit two stores? (Zara and Uniqlo ;)). It would create a nice little cluster with Apple, H&M (rumoured) and this site.

About time there was some decent retail developments for the city.

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:50 pm
My money is on Woolworths. Woolworths will be opening at the West Franklin development, presumably a full-size supermarket.
That will mostly likely be a Woolworths Metro store, similar to the ones in Melbourne you mentioned. The floor plan released ages ago looked more aligned with this concept. The far end of Franklin St doesn't have the population nor the activity to accomodate a full-line supermarket atm. In the future yes, but not right now.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#2380 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:11 am

Has there been any word on a Woolworths moving from its current location?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2381 Post by Ben » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:55 am

More of Rundle Mall Plaza has been hoarded up from the escalators back.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#2382 Post by Allkai » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Ben wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:55 am
More of Rundle Mall Plaza has been hoarded up from the escalators back.
There's a bit of hoarding in the middle of the downstairs mall too.....

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2383 Post by Ben » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:15 pm

Although they were putting Christmas Trees up inside, there were about 10 guys with Hi-vis vests around the outside pointing. this must mean things are about to get serious.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2384 Post by monotonehell » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:23 pm

Ben wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:15 pm
Although they were putting Christmas Trees up inside, there were about 10 guys with Hi-vis vests around the outside pointing. this must mean things are about to get serious.
If you're referring to RMP, there's already been a lot of internal work done. They've completely removed all the old internals of the western-side of the ground level and have near completed the new internal walls (up to plastering stage).

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#2385 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:03 pm

So if this is the case and we do get a big retailer in place of where Woolies is now... I'll happily eat my words.