[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: General Rundle Mall Development & Progress Thread

#436 Post by Waewick » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:21 pm

to avoid sounding overly negative

I'm just going to post this message of dissatisfaction.

Nort

#437 Post by Nort » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Definitely not in favour of them removing the cafe kiosks, I think they give a big boost to the mall as a destination and make it feel more lively. While it's too late now I would prefer to see more things like the bars in Queen St Mall in Brisbane, which are open late some nights showing soccer etc and attracting people to the mall.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#438 Post by Just build it » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Will wrote:Considering that all the proposals that would have actually made a difference have been shelved, this is a monumental waste of money, and an exercise in wank that will not attract a single extra person to the mall.

This money should instead be spent on Victoria Square. I am tired of the ACC doing all these half-arsed jobs.
Agreed. :?
Next Stage of Rundle Mall Redevelopment Project Underway
Released: 14/07/2012

“It is a uniquely South Australian response..."
Agreed. :lol:

Matt
Legendary Member!

[COM] General Rundle Mall Development & Progress Thread

#439 Post by Matt » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:36 pm

New pavers, then?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#440 Post by Ben » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Complete waste of time and money. Who is going to say hey haven't been to the mall in awhile, I hear it has new pavers and less cafes, lets go check it out....
$30m for this. what a complete waste. Paving and trees?? WTF!!

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#441 Post by fabricator » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:47 pm

That's wierd, its like the mall used to be :2cents:

minus the red bricks of course, and hopefully the annoying as c**p, useless in winter, annoying in spring, plane trees that clueless councils think are good.

The stalls in the middle of the mall were a pain though, as far from being a small kiosk they were a small shop which blocked easy routes from one side of the mall to the other.

I for one am glad to see the council realize the original mall layout works, and the current one doesn't. So it costs $30m, the council probably got overcharge but if a fool and his money are seperated, who are we to complain.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#442 Post by peas_and_corn » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:22 pm

I kinda like the changes they're bringing in. The stalls in the middle do get in the way and make things cluttered. Will food carts in the mall be encouraged in the forseeable future? I quite like those...

Mants
Legendary Member!

#443 Post by Mants » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:38 pm

fabricator wrote: minus the red bricks of course, and hopefully the annoying as c**p, useless in winter, annoying in spring, plane trees that clueless councils think are good.
if this is to happen i'd like to see a native used for street planting in rundle mall. and i'm not talking about gum trees necessarily...there are lots of great trees which are native to Australia. Take the Illawarra flame tree for example. they would look spectacular stretching along the mall, and because they are Australian, they would make rundle mall look unique, rather than another mall elsewhere which has boring old plane trees planted up and down.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#444 Post by mutt » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Ben wrote:Complete waste of time and money. Who is going to say hey haven't been to the mall in awhile, I hear it has new pavers and less cafes, lets go check it out....
$30m for this. what a complete waste. Paving and trees?? WTF!!
agreed
the new lord mayor probably wants to ride his bike down it :oops:

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#445 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:49 pm

I really don't see what the issue is. I think its time for a spruce up so bring it on. Or I guess we could spend the money on hospitals and roads like the brain dead on Adelaide now call for

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#446 Post by pushbutton » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:21 pm

I hope the paving shown on the render is nothing like the actual paving will be. Far too dark and boring.

Bring on some nice, modern, attractive and interesting paving that will not only look good now, but stand the test of time for several decades due to excellent design. Add some mature palm trees along the length of the mall, some unique and tasteful yet exciting and interesting lighting (possibly colour-changing and/or projecting images onto the mall at night, but again done tastefully), and the perfect finishing touch would be a monorail running the length of the mall as both a means of transport for shoppers (with say 4 stopes along the way), and dare I say it a means of FUN! Yes, I'm sure there's no law against having fun in Adelaide, it just looks that way. It doesn't need to!

Needless to say the monorail should be free to use. Hop-on, hop-off, so to speak.

I hear Sydney has one they no longer apprecate. Their loss could be our gain!

The monorail could continue up Rundle street too, and do a loop down North terrance back into Rundle Mall.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#447 Post by SRW » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:41 pm

pushbutton wrote:I hope the paving shown on the render is nothing like the actual paving will be. Far too dark and boring.

Bring on some nice, modern, attractive and interesting paving that will not only look good now, but stand the test of time for several decades due to excellent design. Add some mature palm trees along the length of the mall, some unique and tasteful yet exciting and interesting lighting (possibly colour-changing and/or projecting images onto the mall at night, but again done tastefully), and the perfect finishing touch would be a monorail running the length of the mall as both a means of transport for shoppers (with say 4 stopes along the way), and dare I say it a means of FUN! Yes, I'm sure there's no law against having fun in Adelaide, it just looks that way. It doesn't need to!

Needless to say the monorail should be free to use. Hop-on, hop-off, so to speak.

I hear Sydney has one they no longer apprecate. Their loss could be our gain!

The monorail could continue up Rundle street too, and do a loop down North terrance back into Rundle Mall.
:shock:
I can't even.
Keep Adelaide Weird

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#448 Post by crawf » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:58 pm

+1

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#449 Post by Pants » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:55 am

Palm trees, flashing coloured lights and a monorail!

Waewick

#450 Post by Waewick » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:19 am

even re-reading this articel I am still dumbfounded at the stupidity of the plan.