[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: U/C: Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

#781 Post by crawf » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:56 pm

pushbutton wrote:Elms are very boring, ordinary trees. They have their place, of course, out in the parklands. But they are hardly suitable in Rundle Mall, where surely more decorative trees would have been far more appropriate.

I'd almost go as far as to say I hope someone does vandalise them, so that maybe they'll be replaced with something more interesting.
I'm guessing you would rather fake palm trees instead?

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#782 Post by Nathan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:57 pm

I agree, any tree chosen should have come with water slides or rollercoasters.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#783 Post by Phantom » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:09 am

Wow, harsh guys! Perhaps you guys aren't aware of hyperbole?
hyperbole
noun: hyperbole; plural noun: hyperboles
the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech not meant to be taken literally.
I'm sure Pushbutton doesn't actually mean that he wants this to happen... And as for this crap about him and theme parks, it's getting kinda old... Are we really gonna give those naysayers what they want by pack of whingers on our own bloody forum? Shit guys, get it together! :evil:

On the topic of these trees on Rundle... From little things, big things grow. It's a fantastic platform having these trees around. I gotta say that I hate concrete jungles, but I love city growth. The whole idea is moderation!

Vee, again you're dead right. I reckon as unsightly as they can be, tree guards are definitely needed for them.

Torrens_5022, shade cloths are almost necessary from December to February! It's always seems to get slightly too hot for comfort along Rundle on those sweltering 43' days! Hahaha. Just between us? I've always kinda liked the idea of natural shade being created by hanging vines! I'd love to see a render of how Rundle could look with them! You know what else creates shade though? 60+m high buildings the whole way down. :P
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Matt
Legendary Member!

#784 Post by Matt » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:05 am

The whinging generally comes from one direction in particular and generally carries the same theme. Given that, I doubt the whinge about the trees was hyperbole - I think he'd genuinely prefer they were plucked from the ground and replaced with palms.

Anyway, does anyone know when the next stage commences? Obviously after Christmas and the sales are out of the way.

Really looking forward to the catenary lighting over the mall, I think it'll make a big difference to the feel of the mall and add to it's newfound sleek look. Pleased to see the back of those clunky light poles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#785 Post by pushbutton » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:36 pm

crawf wrote:
pushbutton wrote:Elms are very boring, ordinary trees. They have their place, of course, out in the parklands. But they are hardly suitable in Rundle Mall, where surely more decorative trees would have been far more appropriate.

I'd almost go as far as to say I hope someone does vandalise them, so that maybe they'll be replaced with something more interesting.
Absolutely not! But surely real ones would have been far better than what they've used, don't you think?

Phantoms idea of hanging vines is potentially another alternative. They would provide shade, as well as add a new ambience to the mall and, if done well, could potentially look great!

Yet another idea would be some sort of alternative type of tree which can be sculpted into shapes. Not sure what shape, and it would require a lot of ongoing maintenance, but that is something that, had the mall upgrade been properly designed, would have been an integral part of the design.

My problem with the Elms is that, once fully grown, they will look like, well, just plain ordinary trees. The above alternatives would have looked a bit special and different, and would have really added something to the mall besides just purely functional shade.

As for waterslides in the middle of Rundle Mall, that is what I call ridiculous!

Patrick_27

#786 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:43 pm

pushbutton wrote:
crawf wrote:

Absolutely not! But surely real ones would have been far better than what they've used, don't you think?

Phantoms idea of hanging vines is potentially another alternative. They would provide shade, as well as add a new ambience to the mall and, if done well, could potentially look great!

Yet another idea would be some sort of alternative type of tree which can be sculpted into shapes. Not sure what shape, and it would require a lot of ongoing maintenance, but that is something that, had the mall upgrade been properly designed, would have been an integral part of the design.

My problem with the Elms is that, once fully grown, they will look like, well, just plain ordinary trees. The above alternatives would have looked a bit special and different, and would have really added something to the mall besides just purely functional shade.

As for waterslides in the middle of Rundle Mall, that is what I call ridiculous!

Palms? Really? Give me a break. We live in Adelaide not the Gold Coast, palms are barely acceptable at Mosley Square let alone Rundle Mall; they're not even suited to Adelaide's climate.

As for vines, I'd support this idea; but had they planted them, I'm sure you'd probably lead the squad opposing the choice of vines because they weren't going to grow quick enough and would over-shadow the mall.

Nathan

#787 Post by Nathan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:05 am

Not content with the nonsense last weekend, The Sunday Mail has given Goers a second round at bagging the mall. It's the tram extension/wine centre all over again. :toilet:

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#788 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:26 pm

If he keeps carrying on like that he may have to be detained under the mental health act :oops:

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#789 Post by pushbutton » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:39 pm

Nathan wrote:Not content with the nonsense last weekend, The Sunday Mail has given Goers a second round at bagging the mall. It's the tram extension/wine centre all over again. :toilet:
Well he was clearly wrong about the tram extension, but to be fair to him, the wine centre is a complete white elephant. Who would want to go in it when from outside there doesn't even seem to be an entrance? Can you even go in it? I honestly don't know, that's how good the publicity is! The location doesn't help, either.

What do they do in there anyway? Just drink wine?

I believe public money was spent on that, and if so it was a huge waste. As a taxpayer, I strongly object.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#790 Post by jk1237 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:58 pm

well who would have thought that News Ltd's stock standard attempt at a ratings grab from sensationalising something has caused a follow up article but it did generate interest. You're such a pathetic bore News Ltd

Mants
Legendary Member!

#791 Post by Mants » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:40 am

pushbutton wrote: Well he was clearly wrong about the tram extension, but to be fair to him, the wine centre is a complete white elephant. Who would want to go in it when from outside there doesn't even seem to be an entrance? Can you even go in it? I honestly don't know, that's how good the publicity is! The location doesn't help, either.

I believe public money was spent on that, and if so it was a huge waste. As a taxpayer, I strongly object.
for starters, the wine centre is a superior function centre and reception venue. i have attended several functions there, and it has wonderful ambience and class. just because somebody doesn't appreciate wine, that doesn't entitle them to write the whole place off.

not every building constructed in Adelaide has to have flashing lights and spinning wheels.
nor does everything in this city have to appeal to each and every person who enters the square mile.

rather than feebly attempting to turn this place into something it's not, why cant we take all of the things we do, and strive to do them better? rather than whinging about everything, why not attempt to offer constructive and feasible ways to improve on what we have?

the same applies to rundle mall. the ACC has merely provided the framework...it comes down to us as a community to create the mall. we should be thinking about what kind of vendors we want to attract and what kinds of events we could stage in these new spaces which we are privileged enough to have at our disposal.
and at the end of the day, the majority of people will care very little about the species of trees planted. it's more about the quality and variety of the stores and the human ambience at any hour of the day or night. don't get me wrong, the champs elysees is a remarkable street, but if only they'd planted palm trees...

rhino

#792 Post by rhino » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:37 am

Mants wrote: for starters, the wine centre is a superior function centre and reception venue. i have attended several functions there, and it has wonderful ambience and class. just because somebody doesn't appreciate wine, that doesn't entitle them to write the whole place off.
^^This.
cheers,
Rhino

Matt
Legendary Member!

#793 Post by Matt » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:02 pm

pushbutton wrote:
Nathan wrote:Not content with the nonsense last weekend, The Sunday Mail has given Goers a second round at bagging the mall. It's the tram extension/wine centre all over again. :toilet:
Well he was clearly wrong about the tram extension, but to be fair to him, the wine centre is a complete white elephant. Who would want to go in it when from outside there doesn't even seem to be an entrance? Can you even go in it? I honestly don't know, that's how good the publicity is! The location doesn't help, either.

Why not visit the place for yourself before you decree what a waste it is?
Perhaps you should broaden your horizons instead of slating things just because they're outside of your lane of interest?

I don't like cricket, but can appreciate that those who do are going to enjoy the new facilities at Adelaide Oval this weekend.
I'm not bothered about cycling, but for those that do, the Tour Down Under seems to be a great event for SA.
I'm not currently suffering from an incurable disease but can appreciate the worth of the research that will come out of the investment in the SAHMRI.

Different strokes.

Although, I do agree with the point about publicity and confusion about what purpose the venue actually serves.
Is it merely a function centre these days? Is it a wine 'museum' as such? It could certainly do with some better marketing.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#794 Post by pushbutton » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:29 pm

I do appreciate that for those who are interested in Football or Tennis the Adelaide Oval will be a huge improvement. I just get frustrated that there are no facilities for those who enjoy the things I do.

Nort

#795 Post by Nort » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:51 pm

pushbutton wrote:I do appreciate that for those who are interested in Football or Tennis the Adelaide Oval will be a huge improvement. I just get frustrated that there are no facilities for those who enjoy the things I do.
Such as?