[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

#1216 Post by thecityguy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:12 pm

I actually thinks they've done well for once, my social media is full of people taking photos with the big words!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1217 Post by Ben » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:08 am

I agree, the bunting is the definition of tacky and doesn't look "Chrismassy" at all. The lights appear to be dead along with the stars form last year. Seems like a lot of wasted money. I wonder what the issue was. Made they decided it was too heavy to support objects?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1218 Post by monotonehell » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:52 pm

When they first put up the bunting at the east end of the Mall, I thought it was safety bunting to stop cherry pickers colliding with the cabling while they hung decorations...

The next week they'd hung bunting the entire length of the Mall. So I was wrong there. :oops:

Also I noticed that they'd clumped the trees and wooden boxes behind some hoarding in several locations. So I thought they were just storing them there in order to install them throughout the Mall.

The next week they'd unveiled the clumps and it was tiny xmas tree forests with giant words. Being decorated with xmas balls hung by people wearing hivis vests with "Rundle Mall Xmas Crew" on the back. (Did we really spend money on printing vests?) So I was wrong there also. :oops:

I was trying so hard to give them the benefit of doubt. But they let me down. ;)

It's all a bit sparse, I expect the Sunday Mail will have flaming letters to the editor, again. :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1219 Post by Waewick » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:21 pm

It looks fine. Sure it isn't New York but who cares.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1220 Post by Ben » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:40 am

All the trees were replaced last night as the originals were turning brown. What a waste of money. Why couldn't they invest in something that will last years.

This is from Melbournes mall:

We get some bunting...

Nathan

#1221 Post by Nathan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:30 am

Looks like they were always planning to swap the trees over time.

Let's also not forget that Rundle Mall is over twice as long as Bourke St Mall. That budget needs to stretch a lot further.
As you wander through Rundle Mall you will find 'The Festive Forest' with hundreds of real Christmas trees placed in three stunning locations.

Be enchanted by the sensory experience with over 150 pine trees, ranging from 1.5 metres to 4 metres tall, twinkling with illuminated lights and decorations.

In each Festive Forest location you can discover a seasonal word displayed in giant metallic red letters hidden amongst the Christmas trees spelling JOY, PEACE and MERRY.

Here are some little facts about our trees:
  • The Christmas trees for the Festive Forest have travelled 760km to be delivered to Rundle Mall
  • A total of 470 trees will be delivered for the Festive Forest throughout November & December
  • A total of 5,000 Christmas baubles and 50,000 fairy lights will be used to create the festive Forest
  • Approx. 2 Tonnes of green mulch will be created from the trees after their use in Rundle Mall being used in parks and schools throughout the City
  • The trees have been sourced as part of Rundle Mall's partnership with Oxfam, each year Oxfam sell and deliver real Christmas trees to help bring positive change in the lives of people living in poverty - for only $89, you can support people around the world who are living in poverty AND get yourself a freshly-cut pine Christmas tree - we’ll even deliver it for free! (Decorations not included) ORDER HERE

Patrick_27

#1222 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:50 pm

Nathan wrote:Looks like they were always planning to swap the trees over time.

Let's also not forget that Rundle Mall is over twice as long as Bourke St Mall. That budget needs to stretch a lot further.
As you wander through Rundle Mall you will find 'The Festive Forest' with hundreds of real Christmas trees placed in three stunning locations.

Be enchanted by the sensory experience with over 150 pine trees, ranging from 1.5 metres to 4 metres tall, twinkling with illuminated lights and decorations.

In each Festive Forest location you can discover a seasonal word displayed in giant metallic red letters hidden amongst the Christmas trees spelling JOY, PEACE and MERRY.

Here are some little facts about our trees:
  • The Christmas trees for the Festive Forest have travelled 760km to be delivered to Rundle Mall
  • A total of 470 trees will be delivered for the Festive Forest throughout November & December
  • A total of 5,000 Christmas baubles and 50,000 fairy lights will be used to create the festive Forest
  • Approx. 2 Tonnes of green mulch will be created from the trees after their use in Rundle Mall being used in parks and schools throughout the City
  • The trees have been sourced as part of Rundle Mall's partnership with Oxfam, each year Oxfam sell and deliver real Christmas trees to help bring positive change in the lives of people living in poverty - for only $89, you can support people around the world who are living in poverty AND get yourself a freshly-cut pine Christmas tree - we’ll even deliver it for free! (Decorations not included) ORDER HERE
The point still stands, this is a colossal waste of money for a display that will last for this Christmas season alone. Didn't the ACC spend somewhere in the ballpark of $550,000 acquiring new decorations for the mall once it's upgrade was complete? I don't think the length of the mall/money is an issue here. I'll admit, some of the display featured last year was a hit and a miss, but for the most part it trumps what they've installed this year.... Sure, the signs make for good social media marketing platform but when seen in real life, it looks tacky as hell. Bourke Street Malls installation actually makes a statement both in light and dark, which is more than can be said for our display...

Nathan

#1223 Post by Nathan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:54 pm

So basically "it's a waste of money, why didn't they do more?".

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1224 Post by Ben » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:28 pm

But also what happened to the kilometers of "icicle" lighting that was put up last year. that wouldn't have been cheap. Instead of throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars down the mulcher why don't they invest in something that will last years and is of a higher quality. it's not rocket science...

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1225 Post by rev » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:30 pm

Why did they get "real" pine trees for the displays?
Are they morons? Wait...

Christmas is during summer in Australia. We learn this before we even attend our first day of kindergarten....or so I thought.
A pine tree isn't going to survive long in a pot in warm weather in an urban unnatural environment.

Myer, you know that big department store in Rundle Mall it self, has synthetic Christmas trees for a under $200..

I reckon they could have let kindergarten kids come up with decorations for the mall and they'd have done a better job then the incompetent buffoons at the city council. Bunting? Really..?

bits
Legendary Member!

#1226 Post by bits » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:51 pm

Can't wait till 2017 xmas to hear here about how bad the display is.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#1227 Post by citywatcher » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:06 pm

The Chinese Elms are coming up nicely now and complementing the paving

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Nathan

#1228 Post by Nathan » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:02 am

New additional to the mall. I think it looks great!

via: https://twitter.com/oliyoung/status/1324477077546938369

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1229 Post by SRW » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:20 am

By artist Paul Sloan. Article from Aunty here:
'Adelaide's big pigeon unveiled as latest addition to Rundle Mall'
Keep Adelaide Weird

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#1230 Post by shiftaling » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:43 am

That's amazing! What with pigs, balls and birds the mall is a bit of a public art showcase. [Off topic, my favourite sculpture in SA is the Guardian Stones in the Mt Lofty Botanic Gardens, I think the same artist may have a work on the corner of Victoria Drive and Frome Road]