[COM] Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Matt
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Convention Centre | $350m

#1081 Post by Matt » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

Agree with Phantom, it'll give a fantastic sense of arrival for people entering the city by train.

I can remember going "into town" when I was a kid and the excitement of pulling into the darkness of the station.

You'd turn the corner and there was nothing much to see until you actually hit the station itself. There'll be plenty very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1082 Post by pushbutton » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:13 pm

As with the SAMRI (or whatever it's called), this will LOOK great, but what can you actually DO in it, other than maybe attend the odd convention there if you happen to work in a business which holds them occasionally? Nothing!

Let's face it, conventions are of no interest to most people and could be equally well held in an old, ugly building as a new beautiful one.

Why not save these fantastic new developments for facilities open to the general public to enjoy! I can think of so many fantastic things which would have been perfect in a building like that, in that location, and which everyone could have enjoyed as often as they liked.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1083 Post by Nathan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:25 pm

pushbutton wrote:As with the SAMRI (or whatever it's called), this will LOOK great, but what can you actually DO in it, other than maybe attend the odd convention there if you happen to work in a business which holds them occasionally? Nothing!

Let's face it, conventions are of no interest to most people and could be equally well held in an old, ugly building as a new beautiful one.

Why not save these fantastic new developments for facilities open to the general public to enjoy! I can think of so many fantastic things which would have been perfect in a building like that, in that location, and which everyone could have enjoyed as often as they liked.
The convention centre often has events that are open to the public such as trade shows, expos, and public conventions. They also host functions of all different sizes.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#1084 Post by Matt » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:49 pm

You are either completely missing the point (of everything) or you're trolling, because as usual, your argument is ridiculous.

If you want theme parks, please, just move to the Gold Coast and be done with it.

A shitty old building in a backwards location as a Convention Centre is pointless, because no one in their right mind would spend their money on holding conventions no one would want to attend.

I can't even be bothered debating the merits of something that does wonders for tourism and pumps mega bucks into the economy, because unless it has waterslides and Ferris wheels attached, you seem to think it serves no purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#1085 Post by Phantom » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:29 am

Matt wrote:Agree with Phantom, it'll give a fantastic sense of arrival for people entering the city by train.

I can remember going "into town" when I was a kid and the excitement of pulling into the darkness of the station.

You'd turn the corner and there was nothing much to see until you actually hit the station itself. There'll be plenty very soon.
Hahaha. Hell, I still enjoy it now! Coming in to the City during the twilight hours allows you to see the neons of HQ and the lights of Uni Campus lit up. That within itself is a cool sight to see. It's cool also to see the "Great Wall of North Tce" just metres away. I look at weird shit like this all the time and it amazes me that humans actually did that.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Xaragmata

#1086 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:10 am

Pics from Sunday:

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#1087 Post by Phantom » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Xaragmata wrote:Pics from Sunday:

Xaragmata, your name always reminds me of Sagarmatha, the Nepalese name for Mt Everest. :P

But yeah, great pictures mate, especially that first one. It shows how much of a figure it cuts from the Hindley St/Morphett St intersection.

I assume the church building across the road is heritage listed or something, but to me, it really doesn't fit in with the surroundings anymore. Added to this fact that it stands a good 20 ft from the roads, and it makes it stand out like a sore thumb. A little off topic, does anyone know if anything had ever been proposed on that land?

arki
High Rise Poster!

#1088 Post by arki » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:58 pm

Heritage listed or something?! That is the oldest and probably most historic church in Adelaide..

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#1089 Post by Phantom » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:07 pm

Lol. My bad. :P

I thought that St Peters Cathedral was the oldest? Either way, I feel like a retard now.

By the way, you win like 100 Points for that picture. Reminds me of this
But nonetheless, a touch off topic...

HURRY UP AND BE BUILT!

Xaragmata

#1090 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:33 am

Some pics from the bridge - Thursday:

stronic
High Rise Poster!

#1091 Post by stronic » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Not to nitpick or anything, but can Adelaide stop planting Palm Trees? Especially in that location - they are such an ugly tree and offer no shade canopy, which is integral in the stinking hot and dry CBD in summer.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#1092 Post by dsriggs » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Why would you need shade on a traffic median?

Nort

#1093 Post by Nort » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:25 pm

dsriggs wrote:Why would you need shade on a traffic median?
Not to mention that in a thin strip like that a palm tree, having small roots, is probably a better choice than a gum or similar which would eventually encroach on the road.

Patrick_27

#1094 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:38 pm

stronic wrote:

Not to nitpick or anything, but can Adelaide stop planting Palm Trees? Especially in that location - they are such an ugly tree and offer no shade canopy, which is integral in the stinking hot and dry CBD in summer.
Completely agree, they don't belong on city strips.

Nathan

#1095 Post by Nathan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:49 pm

Speaking of things that don't belong — that wonderful access road and carpark at riverbank level.