[COM] Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Convention Centre | $350m

#1186 Post by Torrens_5022 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:28 pm

The brown cladding is copper, right? If it is it will green overtime and probably look nice, well at least a lot less harsh.

obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

#1187 Post by obituary resider » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:42 pm

Forget about clashing with other buildings, it clashes with itself. God knows what the designers were trying to achieve. I know they rattled off some s**t about the Flinders Rangers... but it resembles neither a literal nor abstract interpretation. On that topic, why would anyone think the Flinders Rangers would be great as inspiration for a building, let alone for a building of the scale/magnitude/presence of this once. The Flinders Rangers are a fanstic part of our states natural beauty, completely different to what people love about the city (or urban environments in general). They (despite their beauty) are part of what is an extremely harsh and unforgiving landscape, not something that I would want to associate with a liveable city.

Another big let down for me is the interaction between the building and North Terrace, as well as the potential linkage with the Riverbank.... certainly a difficult task to approach, but architects should be able to do a better job, where as in this case, it seems like something as important as this has just been an afterthought. Overall, very dissapointed, which I feel like I have the right to be considering the location of the building and the huge public expenditure for the project.

*end rant*

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1188 Post by SRW » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:52 pm

Torrens_5022 wrote:The brown cladding is copper, right? If it is it will green overtime and probably look nice, well at least a lot less harsh.
Nope, it's coloured aluminium panelling. But, as I've said before, I do agree that copper would have been a better choice.
Keep Adelaide Weird

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1189 Post by omada » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:53 am

I AM trying to like the new additon, with some difficulty. Who are the architects responsible?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1190 Post by pushbutton » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:12 pm

It's not terrible, but I have to agree it's very poorly integrated with the previous extension built just a few years ago.

Most disappointing to me though is that apart from maybe the occasional semi public event it's not really open to and usable by the general public.

Even the part that looks nice only does that.

Granted it's primarily for conventions, but they should have been required to devote a significant amount of space to public use.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1191 Post by Nathan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:22 pm

Why should they have dedicated more to public space? There's a huge riverbank park that's already underutilized for the much of the year! The only mistake in terms of public area is not allowing a better link from North Tce to the river, but that's more an issue caused by the Riverside Centre, Intercontinental and Station Rd.

Nort

#1192 Post by Nort » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:29 pm

Nathan wrote:Why should they have dedicated more to public space? There's a huge riverbank park that's already underutilized for the much of the year! The only mistake in terms of public area is not allowing a better link from North Tce to the river, but that's more an issue caused by the Riverside Centre, Intercontinental and Station Rd.
Don't bother. If there was more space for "public use" (since apparently the public don't attend any of the many events the convention centre hosts year round) then Pushbutton would just be complaining that space didn't include a roller coaster.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1193 Post by bm7500 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:04 am

Like others here, I have really tried to like this building, but for me it just doesn't work.

I have seen this addition to the convention centre from all angles and one thing that i keep coming back to is that brown! I can't help but think that even if just the brown panels were a gloss black or even charcoal colour, this whole building would have a much better look and feel.

Definitely a missed opportunity.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1194 Post by pushbutton » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:33 am

I wasn't referring to outdoor space. There's more than enough of that.

As for a roller coaster, I'm not sure that would work in that building.

There are however many fantastic things that could be in such a building which would be for everyone to enjoy.

I'm no longer annoyed by this. Just amused that some people in Adelaide don't seem to understand the concept of enjoyable spaces for public use.

Just a few more months and I'll be in the Gold Coast. Once I'm there I'll probably lose interest in this forum pretty quickly.

Nathan

#1195 Post by Nathan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:46 am

Pushbutton, what kind of public activities do you think should be in the Convention Centre, and why do you think it's the responsibility of a convention centre to provide them?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1196 Post by pushbutton » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:26 pm

Some sort of interactive exhibition would work well there, and would perfectly compliment conventions.

For example the Doctor Who experience, or Lego land.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1197 Post by pushbutton » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:28 pm

7d Cinemas would also be perfect and take up hardly any space.

ghs

#1198 Post by ghs » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:30 pm

A waterslide with a space bowl :)

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1199 Post by pushbutton » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:32 pm

Why would you have a water slide with a space bowl in a convention Centre?

It's not a swimming pool or waterpark!

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1200 Post by pushbutton » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:36 pm

Ripleys Believe it or not, Infinity, or Draculas Haunted house are all good examples of things that would work.

Anyone attending a business convention there would be very likely to enjoy such experiences before or after the actual convention, plus of course the general public would use them and they'd attract tourists.