[CAN] 64 Currie Street | 92m | 25 Levels | QT Hotel/Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Mants
Legendary Member!

[CAN] Re: PRO: 66 Currie Street | ~80m | 23 Lvls | Hotel

#31 Post by Mants » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:20 pm

remind's me a bit of sydney's aurora place, without the spire, and slightly more streamline.
i like it a lot.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#32 Post by Mants » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:21 pm

Plasmatron wrote:Two things come to mind:

- Aurora Place in Sydney (office tower)
- PlayStation 3

In other words, I like it. Much better than what is usually proposed for Adelaide... I'm a sucker for architectural curviness.
i love that i had the same thought as you at exactly the same moment! haha!

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by iTouch » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:35 pm

reminds me of 20 to 22 currie st's "Wave" building without the "wave"
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by spiller » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:50 pm

^^ tend to agree. This will be fantastic for adelaide, lets hope it gets built.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#35 Post by skyliner » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:39 pm

iTouch(myself) wrote:reminds me of 20 to 22 currie st's "Wave" building without the "wave"
that's what I thought. Not far from there either by appearances. Anyone have information about dates, being approved etc.? When did this first become proposed?

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Omicron

#36 Post by Omicron » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:50 pm

Fantastic! Fingers crossed for a serious proposal, and not just a vision.

One wonders about the viability of the similarly-sized Majestic proposal on Hindley St with this in the mix. I for one would sooner stay on Currie than on Hindley, especially on a weekend.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#37 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:56 pm

Great news, Currie Street is crying out for high-rise development and a major facelift...

It should be pointed out that the Avant Furniture store was sold a couple of months ago

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#38 Post by Wayno » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:09 pm

Prediction: The ACC will receive another public bashing and the DAC will approve irrespective of their concerns.

These paragraphs in the ACC Dev Plan will cause angst:
Development in Currie, Leigh and Bentham Streets should complement and respect the heritage places and the distinctive townscapes of the three streets which are established by the consistent scale and dignified character of late nineteenth and early twentieth century commercial buildings. These townscapes exhibit architectural detailing and ornamentation on their robust masonry facades.

Development should complement and reinforce the townscape character of the group of lowscale, older style commercial buildings on the northern side of Currie Street which are characterised by modelled facades with robust masonry materials and a high proportion of solid to void in their fenestration.
The townscape character of Currie Street should complement the unique grouping of heritage places, enhanced by tall street trees. The streetscape of Bentham Street should be improved to enhance its role as a key pedestrian route to Hindley Street and North Terrace.

Leigh Street being a unique and special environment based on its heritage qualities bringing new activity to the area and providing an important pedestrian link
The desired character for the Policy Area is comprised of:
(c) a transitional reduction in building scale and development intensity from the King William Street North Policy Area to the Light Square and Hindmarsh Square Policy Area
Development along Currie Street within the area shaded grey on Maps Adel/49, 50 and 55 should incorporate existing buildings or new buildings of three to five building levels to reflect and maintain the imposing low to medium scale of development established by one of the City’s most significant groups of heritage places which line its southern boundary. Taller building elements above the three to five storeys should be stepped back from the street alignment according to an angle of 55 degrees to retain sunlight to the southern footpath and a sense of openness to the sky.
The maximum building height is 53 metres with the following exceptions:
(a) within the area shaded grey on Map Adel/50, the maximum building height is 28 metres; and
(b) within the area west of the prolongation north, and south to Flinders Street (but not extending further south than Flinders Street or further west than Gawler Place), of the eastern boundary of the area shaded grey on Map Adel/50, the maximum building height is 72 metres.
I wonder if the Developer/Architect has taken the above into consideration with their design? would be interesting to know if they perceive the ACC simply as a minor irritant on the way to DAC approval. I truly hope this situation gets fixed as it's an embarrassment to all concerned.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Omicron

#39 Post by Omicron » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:16 pm

Wayno wrote:Prediction: The ACC will receive another public bashing and the DAC will approve irrespective of their concerns.

I wonder if the Developer/Architect has taken the above into consideration with their design? would be interesting to know if they perceive the ACC simply as a minor irritant on the way to DAC approval.
I probably would, if I were a developer. Just to give them the shits. It would be marvellous fun!

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by spiller » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:35 pm

i cant help but laugh whilst reading those snippets. were the members of the ACC high when they comprised that jargon? "feeling of openess to the sky" - its a CBD ffs, not a park, there are plenty of parklands AROUND the city. I think of cities like NYC and Chicago during gthe early 20s during their "skyscraper race" to present day and ponder, were things like "feelings of openess" considered when they were building stuff 90 years ago that is taller than what Adelaide has today? Probably not, and for good reason.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#41 Post by monotonehell » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:13 pm

spiller wrote:i cant help but laugh whilst reading those snippets. were the members of the ACC high when they comprised that jargon? "feeling of openess to the sky" - its a CBD ffs, not a park, there are plenty of parklands AROUND the city. I think of cities like NYC and Chicago during gthe early 20s during their "skyscraper race" to present day and ponder, were things like "feelings of openess" considered when they were building stuff 90 years ago that is taller than what Adelaide has today? Probably not, and for good reason.
Actually, yes they were. That's why the building legislation of the day included mandatory setbacks from the now famous 'Zoning Resolution of 1916'. Today we have many buildings on Manhattan like the Empire State, where after a few storeys the building is setback in a stepped fashion to hide the upper storeys along an imaginary sight line from street level.
Last edited by monotonehell on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by AtD » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:14 pm

IMO they seem so subjective and imprecise that one councillor may approve a project on Monday then reject it on Thursday, citing the same paragraph both times.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by monotonehell » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:16 pm

AtD wrote:IMO they seem so subjective and imprecise that one councillor may approve a project on Monday then reject it on Thursday, citing the same paragraph both times.
They are incredibly wish-washy and need to be revised.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by iTouch » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:56 pm

No offence but who employed the person to write up this development plan? It's a D grade business document. This person would've failed miserably in English hah
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by spiller » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:01 pm

monotonehell wrote:
spiller wrote:i cant help but laugh whilst reading those snippets. were the members of the ACC high when they comprised that jargon? "feeling of openess to the sky" - its a CBD ffs, not a park, there are plenty of parklands AROUND the city. I think of cities like NYC and Chicago during gthe early 20s during their "skyscraper race" to present day and ponder, were things like "feelings of openess" considered when they were building stuff 90 years ago that is taller than what Adelaide has today? Probably not, and for good reason.
Actually, yes they were. That's why the building legislation of the day included mandatory setbacks from the now famous 'Zoning Resolution of 1916'. Today we have many buildings on Manhattan like the Empire State, where after a few storeys the building is setback in a stepped fashion to hide the upper storeys along an imaginary sight line from street level.
thats a good call, I was reading about this on wiki a few weeks ago but stupidly failed to remember. I like the idea of set-backs, seems much more practical than limiting street frontage to a mere 2 or 3 stories. Most of those NYC scrapers would be over 100m tall before the first set-back anyway though :lol: