[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Vee
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: SWP: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#2236 Post by Vee » Wed May 09, 2012 1:21 pm

The fallout from the GFC and ongoing global economic instability eg in Europe was bound to have an impact on our GST revenue. Australia has fortunately not suffered the massive unemployment and other pain associated with the extreme austerity programs eg Greece.

There is a big reduction in the GST pot for the states but it would be temporary (the 'per capita' redistribution talked about by some LNP Premiers and the Opposition would be more disastrous for our small state).

I heard Snelling being interviewed on this and he was deliberately vague on any specific projects or priorities. The interviewers (for their own intent) were the ones keen to talk up a hit/delay on Adelaide Oval and surrounds.

I can't see the Adelaide Oval redevelopment taking a hit but there will have to be some re-shifting of spending priorities. I would like to see the ACC consider delaying its Victoria Square dream and throwing in its lot into the Riverbank upgrade to ensure this gets completed. They could support the building of the footbridge, which is an integral part of the plan.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2237 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Maybe take it to the thread I made RE the Budget in the Pub section.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2238 Post by Waewick » Wed May 09, 2012 1:58 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:Maybe take it to the thread I made RE the Budget in the Pub section.
agreed - this one won't be impacted.

bring on 2014! can't wait for Rd 1 or 2(which ever is the Crows first game)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2239 Post by crawf » Wed May 09, 2012 4:02 pm

What a beat up!. The redevelopment has already commenced

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#2240 Post by Hooligan » Wed May 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Personally i would have loved the government to have come out and said they are stopping funding for the project and it will be put on hold in it's current form indefinitely.

Could you imagine the hysteria? I'm picturing people riding up to parliament house on horses carrying pitchforks and torches.

They could at least try it on for April fools day next year.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

AdelaideAlive
High Rise Poster!

#2241 Post by AdelaideAlive » Wed May 09, 2012 9:16 pm

106 comments on adelaide now about the story,the advertiser knows everytime they mention adelaide oval and the money being spend it causes reaction ,it sells newspapers,it takes me back to all the negativity about the trams when the were first bought back etc etc and evn further back to the entertainment centre being awhite elephant blah blah blah yet turns over millions of dollars and turn in aprofit every year,the list goes on .really shits me to be honest. :x

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#2242 Post by mutt » Wed May 09, 2012 9:35 pm

stop complaining, if it wasnt for the advertiser's lobbying, there would be no adelaide oval redevelopment

AdelaideAlive
High Rise Poster!

#2243 Post by AdelaideAlive » Wed May 09, 2012 9:49 pm

mutt wrote:stop complaining, if it wasnt for the advertiser's lobbying, there would be no adelaide oval redevelopment
lobbying? lol i dont think the reason we got this development was cause of the advertiser lobbying,however i commend your attempt at humour. :applause:

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#2244 Post by mutt » Thu May 10, 2012 1:05 am

AdelaideAlive wrote:
mutt wrote:stop complaining, if it wasnt for the advertiser's lobbying, there would be no adelaide oval redevelopment
lobbying? lol i dont think the reason we got this development was cause of the advertiser lobbying,however i commend your attempt at humour. :applause:
it wasnt even on the SA govts agenda until the Advertiser make a song and dance about it and got public support, mainly due to envy over Perth's proposed new stadium
you've got quite a short memory if you think this was a Labor light bulb moment, Rann never wanted to build it

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2245 Post by crawf » Thu May 10, 2012 2:30 am

mutt wrote:
AdelaideAlive wrote:
it wasnt even on the SA govts agenda until the Advertiser make a song and dance about it and got public support, mainly due to envy over Perth's proposed new stadium
you've got quite a short memory if you think this was a Labor light bulb moment, Rann never wanted to build it
Nonsense, hardly anyone in Adelaide even knew or cared about Perth's future stadium plans. It's more to do with the fact that Adelaidians are sick to the death travelling to a 1970s relic that has hardly any weather protection, poor facilities, no rail connection and is miles away from the city.

The fact that crowd numbers have plumpted over the years reflects this.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#2246 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu May 10, 2012 10:31 am

mutt wrote:i doubt that standing room will be available for anything other than cricket

i cant see the AFL allowing a standing room crowd at one of its venues so i doubt we'll ever see a 54000 crowd
Adelaide Crows have already informed members there will be memberships available on the northern mound for those who wish to stand.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#2247 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu May 10, 2012 10:36 am

Maximus wrote:Whilst I don't wish to be seen to be perpetuating negative thinking, as I think AO is going to look freaking awesome once this is all done, it does bother me that the eastern and western stands won't quite be the same height. Perhaps it's just my OCD talking, but it seems a shame not to make things perfectly symmetrical, which surely would enhance the architectural beauty of the Oval.

<Maximus braces self for immediate ridicule...>
I'm not sure why that would bother anyone. Have you seen the Gabba? If you haven't you should check it out. Don't forget to take a vomit bag.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#2248 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu May 10, 2012 10:48 am

mutt wrote:i thought the whole reason of moving AFL to the city was to attract larger crowds because people are now becoming too lazy to drive to football park. in the late 90's the crows would easily attain 50,000 members until their form started to dwindle.
so two reasons why this adelaide oval may not be enough cater for the city factor and potential improvement in crows form.
In the 90s games were televised on 2 hour delay. Now they are live on TV. The landscape has completely changed, you can't use that as a comparison. 50,000 is plenty. Believe it or not there is nothing wrong with having sellout games on a semi regular basis. I'm not sure what the obsession is with people wanting a stadium big enough that it will always have thousands of empty seats spare.
you only have to look at the soccer crowds which double when moved from Hindmarsh to Adelaide as a guide.
Is this some sort of joke? If we use soccer crowds as a guide crowds at Adelaide Oval will peak for the first game and subsequently drop by at least 10% each and every game thereafter.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2249 Post by skyliner » Thu May 10, 2012 11:49 am

Did the big Julie just 'grant' about $30m to this project - if so there is no real shakeup of it IMO.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2250 Post by rev » Sat May 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Not sure if this has been posted yet, or if anyone is aware besides Demo who works with the demolition company, but the Victor Richardson gates have been put in storage by Baulderstone.
So whoever said they were heritage listed was probably right, and here's your answer as to what happened with them.