[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Matt
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#3586 Post by Matt » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:20 pm

No, it is there, it's just difficult to spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshyboy
Gold-Member ;)

#3587 Post by joshyboy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:30 pm

Matt wrote:No, it is there, it's just difficult to spot.

Right you are! I think I also misunderstood your description.
Good pick up! :)

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3588 Post by rev » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:07 pm

I think this photo shows just how steep the viewing gradient is in the southern stand..

Looks great, but it would look so much better if they did something about the exposed concrete up top(and hopefully not the typically Adelaide shade sails)

An odd panorama from the hill

Again, the exposed concrete on the eastern stand this time..really needs to be covered. I reckon it would give it a more complete look and feel.

joshyboy
Gold-Member ;)

#3589 Post by joshyboy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:12 pm

I fear that would make it look like a giant arena/dome, MCG/Etihad-style. This keeps it more in the style that, to me, goes with having 3 distinctly separate stands etc.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3590 Post by Nort » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:49 pm

Yeah, sealing it in entirely would be overkill, but it could definitely benefit from covering up the bare concrete appearance. Either painting it, growing ivy over it, or that (copper?) cladding on the South Gate would look great.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#3591 Post by Dvious » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:08 am

Looks great. Now ditch that thing we call a tennis 'arena', and either move it or rebuild the whole precinct.

Patrick_27

#3592 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Dvious wrote:Looks great. Now ditch that thing we call a tennis 'arena', and either move it or rebuild the whole precinct.
Should build a new 15,000 arena that ties in with Adelaide Oval and factors in tennis, music, basketball, netball. Similar to Perth Arena, but not as much of a cost blow out. Then we could close the ETSA Park - sell the land for commercial/residential development and use the money to fund the new arena, take back the Adelaide International tennis comp from Brisbane, close the Entertainment Centre - sell the land and put the money into upgrading and expanding the Festival Centre to boast facilities like the Arts Centre in Melbourne. And entice basketball to move from Clipsal Powerhouse to the new arena. Call it the Sir Donald Bradman Arena.

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#3593 Post by fifty » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Dvious wrote:Looks great. Now ditch that thing we call a tennis 'arena', and either move it or rebuild the whole precinct.
Should build a new 15,000 arena that ties in with Adelaide Oval and factors in tennis, music, basketball, netball. Similar to Perth Arena, but not as much of a cost blow out. Then we could close the ETSA Park - sell the land for commercial/residential development and use the money to fund the new arena, take back the Adelaide International tennis comp from Brisbane, close the Entertainment Centre - sell the land and put the money into upgrading and expanding the Festival Centre to boast facilities like the Arts Centre in Melbourne. And entice basketball to move from Clipsal Powerhouse to the new arena. Call it the Sir Donald Bradman Arena.
Adelaide definitely has a glut of underused single-sport smaller arenas such as Adelaide Arena (Powerhouse), ETSA Park and Memorial Drive, but Entertainment Centre still has a role. Keep that as the large 12,000 seat arena for big international acts, and redo Memorial Drive as the boutique 6-8000 seat indoor arena for basketball/tennis during the summer and netball during the winter plus fan overflow for AFL finals, etc.., plus any smaller music concerts and festival acts whenever.

An equivalent of this idea would be Margaret Court Arena at Melbourne Park, post-2015 when it will get a retractable roof and capacity increase from 6,000 to 7,500 as the third largest court for the Australian Open, plus act as the home of the Melbourne basketball and netball teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Court_Arena

rhino

#3594 Post by rhino » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:32 pm

fifty wrote: Adelaide definitely has a glut of underused single-sport smaller arenas such as Adelaide Arena (Powerhouse)

Just for the record, Adelaide Arena is no longer the Powerhouse. Clipsal no longer sponsor it. It was sold and is now owned by a 50-50 partnership of ScoutsSA (who were already sponsors I believe) and the Church Basketball Association. The Government cannot just decide to move basketball to Memorial Drive as there would be contracts in place with the owners of the Arena.
cheers,
Rhino

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#3595 Post by fifty » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:28 pm

rhino wrote:
fifty wrote: Just for the record, Adelaide Arena is no longer the Powerhouse. Clipsal no longer sponsor it. It was sold and is now owned by a 50-50 partnership of ScoutsSA (who were already sponsors I believe) and the Church Basketball Association. The Government cannot just decide to move basketball to Memorial Drive as there would be contracts in place with the owners of the Arena.

Which is why I put it in brackets.

We're getting off topic here, but just quickly, any idea how long are the Sixers and Lightning committed to Adelaide Arena? Not that such a thing would stop a move if it was wanted by the Gov't badly enough.

skyliner

#3596 Post by skyliner » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:20 pm

Re the size of the major cricket grounds in each state
Melbourne - MCG - 100018
Adelaide - Adelaide oval 53500
Sydney - SCG - 48000
Brisbane - the Gabba - 42000
Perth - the WACA - from memory 27000
Hobart - not sure but well under 20000.

Nationally we are looking pretty good - WELL designed, open, most attractive of the lot. Access now fantastic - esp with Riverbank developments in progress.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#3597 Post by Matt » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:53 pm

Signage for the Bradman Pavilion appears complete - much more conspicuous now that it's white!

ml69
Legendary Member!

#3598 Post by ml69 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:18 pm

fifty wrote:Adelaide definitely has a glut of underused single-sport smaller arenas such as Adelaide Arena (Powerhouse), ETSA Park and Memorial Drive, but Entertainment Centre still has a role. Keep that as the large 12,000 seat arena for big international acts, and redo Memorial Drive as the boutique 6-8000 seat indoor arena for basketball/tennis during the summer and netball during the winter plus fan overflow for AFL finals, etc.., plus any smaller music concerts and festival acts whenever.

An equivalent of this idea would be Margaret Court Arena at Melbourne Park, post-2015 when it will get a retractable roof and capacity increase from 6,000 to 7,500 as the third largest court for the Australian Open, plus act as the home of the Melbourne basketball and netball teams.

Great minds think alike!! I was thinking exactly the same thing (and I mean EXACTLY) regarding a Memorial Drive revamp after reading about the Margaret Court arena redevelopment a couple of weeks ago.

Based on the same shared use model which cricket and AFL are employing at Adelaide Oval, such a development will allow tennis, basketball and netball to utilise a premium venue for spectator comfort and convenience, whilst also sharing operating costs. Will also further activate the riverbank precinct, and increase the viability of new cafés/restaurants down there.

I think a 6000 seat arena is about the right size, which would be intimate enough to provide a really good atmosphere. This would suit most games but NBL finals and Netball finals are likely to be sell outs .... Which could be played at the Entertainment Centre if need be.

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#3599 Post by fifty » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:30 pm

ml69 wrote:
fifty wrote:Adelaide definitely has a glut of underused single-sport smaller arenas such as Adelaide Arena (Powerhouse), ETSA Park and Memorial Drive, but Entertainment Centre still has a role. Keep that as the large 12,000 seat arena for big international acts, and redo Memorial Drive as the boutique 6-8000 seat indoor arena for basketball/tennis during the summer and netball during the winter plus fan overflow for AFL finals, etc.., plus any smaller music concerts and festival acts whenever.

Great minds think alike!! I was thinking exactly the same thing (and I mean EXACTLY) regarding a Memorial Drive revamp after reading about the Margaret Court arena redevelopment a couple of weeks ago.

Based on the same shared use model which cricket and AFL are employing at Adelaide Oval, such a development will allow tennis, basketball and netball to utilise a premium venue for spectator comfort and convenience, whilst also sharing operating costs. Will also further activate the riverbank precinct, and increase the viability of new cafés/restaurants down there.

I think a 6000 seat arena is about the right size, which would be intimate enough to provide a really good atmosphere. This would suit most games but NBL finals and Netball finals are likely to be sell outs .... Which could be played at the Entertainment Centre if need be.
Bingo! Now we just need some sort of political trigger, or a netball/basketball World Cup type of event to open the purse strings. Will be a while for that i feel.

I think this topic deserves its own space. Can a mod extract the relevant posts as a new Vision thread?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3600 Post by crawf » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:10 am

fifty wrote: Adelaide definitely has a glut of underused single-sport smaller arenas such as Adelaide Arena (Powerhouse), ETSA Park and Memorial Drive, but Entertainment Centre still has a role. Keep that as the large 12,000 seat arena for big international acts, and redo Memorial Drive as the boutique 6-8000 seat indoor arena for basketball/tennis during the summer and netball during the winter plus fan overflow for AFL finals, etc.., plus any smaller music concerts and festival acts whenever.
Despite the fancy dome and LED screen, the Adelaide Entertainment is just one massive tin shed with average facilities. And eventually the AEC will find it very hard to attract major concerts due to it's restrictive size and better entertainment venues interstate. So it's important that any new sporting arena is big enough to host major events and concerts The new venue could also be used for a future Commonwealth Games, Davis Cup or a FINA World Swimming Championships.

My dream is to see Memorial Drive/Next Gen demolished and replaced with a large multi-purpuse arena for 15,000 spectators that will host concerts, events, national basketball and an annual international tennis event (hello Kooyong Classic). It would also attract more people to the riverbank/city aswell as make the new Southern Plaza more of a destination.

Anyway.. Went past Adelaide Oval today and the new Southern Plaza is such a grand entrance to Adelaide Oval. Looks fantastic!
Last edited by crawf on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.