[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: COM: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#4141 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:55 am

33,126 people attend Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory last night. A record football ('sokkah') attendance for South Australia. Previous was 25k back in early 2009.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ghs

#4142 Post by ghs » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:20 am

Ronnie Wood from the Rolling stones was at the match last night. He and Mick Jagger arrived in Adelaide
a few days ago.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4143 Post by rev » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:57 pm

Henwii wrote:
Phantom wrote:Wow Aeon!... Just... Wow!...

That type of camera always seems to make every night time sky look sorta stormy. I love it! Awesome pics, dude!

I know it's requested in a different thread, but please use that camera to take a photo from sorta near the Hilton of the Post Office and Town Hall on King William in Victoria Square for me? I'd be most appreciative! (I have a friend overseas who wants to see what it now looks like after the redevelopment) :P

But yeah, back on topic, it's amazing how the oval looks now! It's really a stadium! Those staircases inside actually look quite nice, with their diagonal lines being quite prominent.

I'm really happy they built this!.. While I'm here, if anyone would know this, it would surely be you guys. The capacity is from memory 53,500, right? If they created a northern grandstand of the same styling, and got rid of the fig trees, hill and scoreboard, what would be a reasonably accurate estimation of what the new capacity would be?
Riverbank stand holds approximately 14,000 people. Northern holds 3,500 on the hill and around 3,000 seats. So if you do the maths of 14,000-6,500 = 7,500 extra seats in capacity.

So just on 60,000. Not a huge increase for such a massive cost.
Well it wouldn't be just a matter of banging up 7,500 more seats on the northern side.
There would be extensive works carried out and there would be new facilities built, corporate boxes, etc, as well as a roof obviously.

ghs

#4144 Post by ghs » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:33 am

Rolling stones sound check is Thursday from 6pm to 8pm.

See - >

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 0258aa69c3

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4145 Post by crawf » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:26 am

Over 54,000 packed into Adelaide Oval last night to watch what was one of the biggest concerts in the state's history.

Then add tens of thousands of people (felt like all of Adelaide) who crammed along the pemernter of the oval, walked along the bridge or either chilled in the nearby parklands or along the Torrrens. Safe to say the vibe in the city was electric last night!

As for the Rolling Stones, despite their ailing age they still know how to put on a awesome show and put so many current bands to shame.

skyliner

#4146 Post by skyliner » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:06 pm

I went to their last performance around `1974 and only had the tennis courts. Big rise in popularity. Sounds like 70000 - 800000 in and around the oval. Must have been an impressive venue. How did the sound issues go - a suitable place for concerts or not? Some are terrible - sound technicalities no good.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#4147 Post by Vee » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:55 am

skyliner wrote:I went to their last performance around `1974 and only had the tennis courts. Big rise in popularity. Sounds like 70000 - 800000 in and around the oval. Must have been an impressive venue. How did the sound issues go - a suitable place for concerts or not? Some are terrible - sound technicalities no good.

The sound was great!!
The whole show was aaaaaawesome. Amazing energy.

Great vibe in and around the AO. Wide demographic mix from youngsters/teens to 70+. And the weather was just perfect for an outdoors concert.

Loved Mick's Adelaidean references eg a pie floater, frog cake and a bungalow in Fullarton.
Jimmy Barnes got the night rocking and the crowd showed their appreciation for inclusion of the Adelaide Choir for 'Can't always get'. Social media has been abuzz with excited comments and brilliant photos.

And, yet another opportunity to praise / vindicate the decision to build the footbridge as part of the Riverbank precinct/AO upgrade.

ABC News report, photos:
Rolling Stones perform to more than 50,000 fans at Adelaide Oval
Rolling Stones fans crammed into Adelaide Oval on Saturday night to experience the first leg of the legendary band's Australian tour.
About 53,0000 punters were inside the stadium while many thousands of others gathered outside on the banks of the River Torrens.
The band kicked off with Jumping Jack Flash and ended the night with an encore of Satisfaction, which was accompanied by a spectacular fireworks show.
It took more than 200 staff almost a week to set up for the highly-anticipated show.
During a walk-through of the arena on Wednesday, Rolling Stones production manager Dale Skjerseth said the Adelaide stage was the largest he had ever put up and the largest the Stones had played on.

He said the stage arrived in 52 shipping containers from various locations in Europe with the sound system from Sydney.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-26/r ... ce/5842190

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#4148 Post by buildit83 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Can anyone give me any information regarding public transport patronage numbers to Adelaide Oval at all? I just need to know what the increases in patronage using public transport to Adelaide Oval as opposed to AMMI Stadium was?

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#4149 Post by Hooligan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:09 pm

buildit83 wrote:Can anyone give me any information regarding public transport patronage numbers to Adelaide Oval at all? I just need to know what the increases in patronage using public transport to Adelaide Oval as opposed to AMMI Stadium was?
That depends on whether or not you consider a shitload a standard unit of measurement.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Xaragmata

#4150 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:47 am

A few pics from Saturday - I was very impressed with the concert & stadium - all worked well, given the numbers - I felt part of the crowd, but not crowded:

skyliner

#4151 Post by skyliner » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:12 pm

So Xara, was the stadium filled concerning the seating or not. Pics(depending on the time taken re the concert) indicate plenty of spare room. I would anticipate that NO room was available at all. Great pics btw!.

Jack.

Xaragmata

#4152 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:07 pm

skyliner wrote:So Xara, was the stadium filled concerning the seating or not. Pics(depending on the time taken re the concert) indicate plenty of spare room. I would anticipate that NO room was available at all. Great pics btw!.
There were plenty of spare seats in the northern bays - would not have had any view of the stage if they had been sold. From where I was the oval surface seemed to have plenty of free space, but from ground level it looked pretty full & I didn't attempt to go in there. No trouble moving around in the 'concourse' beneath the stands during the show & I left to get some night shots of & from the bridge before the crush.

skyliner

#4153 Post by skyliner » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:19 pm

Just had an idea re the oval and new year's eve. Make the southern edge of the roof of the southern stand the base for the fireworks - all observable from Elder Pk and all around the inner city. Also use the bridge. (as I have heard about already) What do you guys think?

Jack.

ghs

#4154 Post by ghs » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:19 pm

it's a good idea but I am not sure if you can have fireworks cracking from any old location.

What if parts of the stand are flammable ?

ChillyPhilly

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#4155 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:39 am

ghs wrote:it's a good idea but I am not sure if you can have fireworks cracking from any old location.

What if parts of the stand are flammable ?
Spot on. The 'roof' of the Riverbank Stand (southern) is tarp.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.