[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment - General Discussion Thread

#346 Post by Splashmo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:08 am

Looks like they've toned down the footbridge and certainly scaled back plans for Memorial Drive, but on a casual glance is there much that's different?

deano91
High Rise Poster!

#347 Post by deano91 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:31 am

The original designs had each of the stands completely different to each other, now it looks like the western and eastern grandstands should be more or less identical. The new images definately look a lot nicer in terms of the design, with the southern stand having the same "pillow" style roof (correct me if there is a technical term for that :? )

Matt
Legendary Member!

#348 Post by Matt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:05 am

Love it, but do prefer the original concept plans continuing the 'circus tent' theme of the Chappel Stands.

Really hope it actually happens.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#349 Post by Paulns » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:38 am

This is not doing anything for me at all.. $500 million for this when for a bit more we could have a brand new stadium... Typical Adelaide doing a half job. Looks as though people in the new eastern stand will still be exposed to the weather. Same old problems as Football Park, I can see it now..

I'm currantly watching the World Cup in South Africa in 2010 that's stupidly enough going to have better looking stadiums than Adelaide in 2022. The Moses Mabhida Stadium springs to mind. Surely we should be aiming for better.

http://www.mosesmabhidastadium.co.za/home/
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#350 Post by Pants » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:59 am

Does anyone have the renders for the previous proposal?

I liked the old eastern stand better. I thought the deliberate mismatch worked well and was more of a nod to the Oval's history. Having two of three stands identical looks likes they tried to make it uniform but didn't get there, the Bradman stand sticks out more now.

Still, if this gets built, I'll be happy.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#351 Post by Pants » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:14 am

Here they are for comparison's sake:

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#352 Post by AtD » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:00 am

I'm a little disappointed that none of the renders show anything going on at the rear entrance of the railway station. It seems the bridge goes to the Festival Theatre then the path stops.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#353 Post by rhino » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:01 am

Apart from the cheapened footbridge, I like the new design better. I think it's a design that will last for decades without looking like a sign of it's times, that will look outdated in 20 years' time. Well done that designer.
cheers,
Rhino

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#354 Post by Pants » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:28 am

Yeah this one does look a bit more timeless and I especially like the incorporation of what looks like red brick into the exterior to not completely distance the new look from the old, I just think the Bradman stand now loses context (even though its earlier context was as part of three completely different looking stands) and should be brought more into line with the other stands, but still not necessarily made to look exactly the same.

I'm not too worried about the foot bridge just yet. If it's not considered part of the stadium build cost, there might be a chance of the Govt passing it off as being needed for other reasons and spending more money on it.

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#355 Post by how_good_is_he » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:09 am

Not having the footbridge undercover is a big mistake - most games played in winter + no umbrellas allowed into ground = your going to get very wet.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#356 Post by stumpjumper » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:25 am

The eastern grandstand is significantly taller than the western one, for a start.

A few comments not on the design but on the way it's being handled:

There was no general release of the new renders and fly through. They were released exclusively to the Advertiser. Whether or not this minor legup for the Advertiser has any effect on the way the matter is reported remains to be seen.

No drawings or dimensions were released with the renders.

There has been a change of architect, from Philip Cox for the western grandstand to Daryl Jackson for the new proposal.

Paul Demetriou, boss of the AFL and in town yesterday, confirmed that the government's proposal was the only available option, considering the parlous state of football in SA. Despite being one of the major beneficiaries of the Adelaide Oval project, the AFL will not be investing any money in the project.

On radio this morning, Kevin Foley said that the Adelaide Oval project was the only possibility for getting football to the city. Remember that not long ago the government was vehemently against any stadium development in the CBD.

I suggest that the important point of those above concerns Paul Demetriou. Not for his imperial manner of jetting in here and demanding that various VIPs come to his temporary throne room at West Lakes, but because he claims that the construction of the new facilities at Adelaide Oval will fix the problem. Easy to say, considering it won't cost the AFL anything. I'd like to see how the new cricket/footy only Adelaide Oval at an unknown ticket price will solve for example Port Power's cashflow problems, compared with a new covered stadium (somewhere - not necessarily the Liberals' plan) for about the same price.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#357 Post by Pants » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:36 am

A few things:

- it's Andrew Demetriou
- of course the eastern stand's higher, where else do you propose they fit everyone?
- when have you ever seen the Advertiser post drawings or dimensions when glossy renders are available? Even if your point is that they weren't released to the Advertiser, I'm sure that doesn't equate to them not being done because it's a fanciful proposal (if that's what you're implying)
- interesting about the change in architects. Is that just between the western stand and the new development or between iterations of the new development? Both very good architects, either way, having worked on some of the country’s biggest stadiums, Cox moreso
- the AFL said it’s the only option in SA because they’re partnering up with cricket and can therefore get the funding. Apparently the AFL would need to stump up $200-300m for a new AFL and multipurpose (aside from cricket ) stadium and when it’s trying to get two new teams off the ground in new markets, I’m sure it’s not in a position to do that

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#358 Post by stumpjumper » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:49 am

Yep, fair comment, pants, especially about the need for cricket to be involved.

From the Advertiser:
Mr Demetriou last night confirmed more money was to be made by the Crows and Power at Adelaide Oval than at AAMI Stadium.
I'm wondering how he knows that, especially in Port's case. I'm a Port member, by the way.

Btw, Demetriou has just confirmed that the first game at the new AO would be a Friday night Showdown.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#359 Post by Pants » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:53 am

They could get about 70,000 to that game... oh.

contractor
High Rise Poster!

#360 Post by contractor » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:24 am

My input, nothing positive:

1. The stand at the footbridge looks more expensive than the previous design.
2. $535m and the hill remains vertually untouched!
3. More concept drawings but for what purpose? It will still cost $535m!

Blah.