[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment - General Discussion Thread

#691 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:54 pm

stumpjumper wrote:There were rumours around that SACA members (who will be voting on the development proceeding) were being offered a refund of part or all of the annual construction levy if they vote yes. If that's true it means that the vote will not be by secret ballot.
The problem with you is you have a conspiracy theory for every aspect of this project. Conspiracies that just aren't there such as the ludicrous statement above.

In simple terms, the levy is to help pay for the Western Stand being currently built. If the new proposal comes to fruition that will be payed for out of the Government contribution, hence no need for the levy. Therefore, a refund for all who paid it. Emphasis on all. It is not something only for those who voted yes. If the project doesn't proceed obviously the levy is still required as there will be no money from the Gov. It really is that simple.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval - Western Grandstand Construction Thr

#692 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:47 am

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#693 Post by Kasey771 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:06 am

Xaragmata, thanks for the updates, you've taken a bunch of pictures, do you think they construction crew will get things done on time? IIRC the oval is needed for a tour game in November to test run the new stand prior to the Ashes test in December.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#694 Post by spiller » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:30 am

great pics. a couple of them that get in near the original arches show show that the heritage wall really has nothing to do with the structure of the new stand. Interesting.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#695 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Kasey771 wrote:Xaragmata, thanks for the updates, you've taken a bunch of pictures, do you think they construction crew will get things done on time? IIRC the oval is needed for a tour game in November to test run the new stand prior to the Ashes test in December.
Just for a guess, they will be hard pressed to complete it in 2 months - it has taken 3 months to roof the southern bays, but good spring weather (not
today!) should help. At the worst, they could leave the two northern bays unfinished, & concentrate on fitting out the southern bays in time for cricket.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#696 Post by ricecrackers » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:48 pm

not quite the view it was eh..
Xaragmata wrote:From yesterday:
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

#697 Post by kenget » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:04 pm

ricecrackers wrote:not quite the view it was eh..
We just need taller buildings now ;)

metro
Legendary Member!

#698 Post by metro » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:37 pm

trying to imagine what this view will look like in 2015.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#699 Post by frank1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:23 pm

i hate looking at that gap between westpack house and the stamford. Need spire, heart of glass or something tall in their....

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#700 Post by Just build it » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:06 am

frank1 wrote:i hate looking at that gap between westpack house and the stamford. Need spire, heart of glass or something tall in their....
Agreed. The Wave would've filled most of it nicely. Tbh I'm not a huge fan of the stadium plan but i think if the complete thing ever gets built it'll look quite good from Light's Vision. It's not as though blocking out half of the Stamford is a bad thing. :wink:

I'm especially looking forward to having the height of the Harris Scarfe development visible in that picture.

talrok
High Rise Poster!

#701 Post by talrok » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:56 pm

.. 2015 .. I am pretty sure it will look the same .. city will surely have to be denser, but skyline from here will be the same the way we are going .. nothing much has happened the last 7 years (in terms of heights!!!) and visual changes to lights view during the building boom and when we had like 8 or so cranes in the skies!!!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#702 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:57 pm

talrok wrote:.. 2015 .. I am pretty sure it will look the same .. city will surely have to be denser, but skyline from here will be the same the way we are going .. nothing much has happened the last 7 years (in terms of heights!!!) and visual changes to lights view during the building boom and when we had like 8 or so cranes in the skies!!!
I think he meant more how Adelaide Oval's changes will reflect on the view.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#703 Post by iTouch » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:19 pm

I disagree, the skylines changed alot, viewing the city from the south. You can see City Central and that black building across the road from the Optus building that has created a new layer of density
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

Mants
Legendary Member!

#704 Post by Mants » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:38 pm

iTouch(myself) wrote:I disagree, the skylines changed alot, viewing the city from the south. You can see City Central and that black building across the road from the Optus building that has created a new layer of density
perhaps, but to your average Adelaidean, there has been little/no change. westpac house has been the tallest building for well over 20 years now, and nothing has come close to overtaking it since.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#705 Post by spiller » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:53 am

hate to say it but Mants is right. To the non-enthusiast, the view of Adelaide's skyline hasnt changed significantly in the last 20 years from Light's statue. However, this wont always be the case. 20 years is a long time, but the Sears (now Willis) Tower was the World's Tallest for approx 22 years, now look at how many buildings are taller than that. Height restrictions aside, Adelaide just needs the boom to justify an office tower large enough to topple the height of Westpac House. It will happen!

That aside, I love the look of the skyline as a backdrop against the new stand. Will provide some excellent views at night time when AFL games are played there. I think this would just about be closer to buildings of siginifance than any other major sporting stadium in Australia?? Perhaps closer than Docklands to Melb.?