[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval - Western Grandstand Construction Thr

#841 Post by skyliner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:06 pm

ozisnowman wrote:Yes it does dominate and in a good way but what will it look like with the new southern and eastern stand which will be of different heights.
Clearly they should stick to the same height and roof style for the other stands. No gaps would be good with the eastern stand going
all the way around to connect with the western stand.
Agreed!

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment - General Discussion Thread

#842 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:17 am

Kasey771 wrote:Even failing in that bid, a FIFA compliant stadium would allow the FFA to finally schedule a Senior Socceroos game in Adelaide.
You of all people should know that Adelaide Oval is perfectly capable of hosting Socceroos games already. Three or four years ago Australia was scheduled to host Lebanon at AO and only political turmoil in that nation that caused them to cancel the trip to Australia prevented that game from going ahead. Adelaide don't get more games because FFA choose to pander to the bigger cities, unfortunately. Not because it can't.

I'm also surprised you aren't aware that the FIFA demands for the World Cup Finals are very different to what is expected for all other FIFA sanctioned games. For example, World Cup qualifiers have been held at Hindmarsh Stadium and Marden (yes, that Marden) in the last decade. And some of the grounds used to host World Cup qualifiers and other FIFA sanctioned games in regions such as Oceania, Africa, Central America, the Carribbean and even some of the tiny European nations pale in comparison with Adelaide Oval. I've seen the Socceroos play crucial WC qualifiers on grounds that pale in comparison to my back yard (e.g. Solomon Islands 2005)!

Anyone that says Adelaide Oval will not be fit to host Socceroos games is extremely ignorant and uneducated in matters of soccer.

For interest's sake this is a photo of the National Stadium of Faroe Islands that hosted their World Cup qualifiers, including against France, in the lead up to the 2010 World Cup. And that's in Europe!

http://www.hb.fo/index.php?pid=32
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%B3rsv%C3%B8llur

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#843 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Tyler, you're right, How could I forget the fantastic pitch in the Faroes that the Tartan Army of Scotland still bang on about. It is just an accepted thing in Australia it seems to see and accept the blatant Sydney Bias of not just our news media, but our sporting bodies(except the AFL of course for historic reasons). There is no reason I can think of for FFA not to schedule a full Socceroos international in Adelaide at Hindmarsh except greed at FFAHQ, one of the downsides to the incerasing professionalism at College Street is the unrelenting chase of the dollar by hosting as many games at Stade de Oz as they can regardless of how well or not the Sydney market supports International Football. Reports on t'interwebs indicate only 20k tickets pre-sold for Saturday night's Socceroos game vs Paraguay at the SFS. which is crap for a full strength Australian teamThe apathy towards Sport in Sydney honestly has me questioning which country they really belong to, they aren't related to Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide for sure!

I haven't even bothered looking for tickets, my bank balance is still recovering from SA2010, but Someone posted an average of $55 per A-adult ticket. In my mind, this would have been a perfect chance for FFA to stage a 'festival of football' type event in Melbourne at AAMI park. Heart vs Victory on Friday night then same venue, Socceroos vs Paraguay -> 2 sell outs, great publicity for the game! Those of us who've been to Hindmarsh for a packed house(ACL finals etc) know the place absolutely goes off when there are 16,500 crammed in there! but 40,000(SFS) x $30(average) = $1.2mil whereas 16,500(HS) x $40 (increased to account for smaller capacity) is still only $660,000, just over half what FFA can make in Sh*tney. The theory of upgrading AdOval leading to more Socceroos games is less about FIFA compliance than it is more about providing a financially acceptable model to present to FFA prompting them to schedule the Socceroos here in Adelaide. Stage 1 increased capacity of AdOval is 32,500->32,5000@A$35 = 1,137,500, much better look for the bean counters at FFA than .66 mil:)
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

flavze
High Rise Poster!

#844 Post by flavze » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:24 pm

So the new grandstand holds 14k people, what i'm after is how many does the top tier hold if anyone knows? Also i think i saw a pic of it somewhere with the dimensions but can't find it, i'm wondering whats the actuall length of the stand?
cheers for any help.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#845 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:19 pm

Another example is Adelaide's snub in the 2015 Asian Cup where all games are being scheduled for the East Coast. Is there a better suited stadium in the country to the expected small crowds of that tournament than Hindmarsh Stadium? I'm not talking about games involving Australia, they will rightly be played in bigger stadiums but anyone thinking games involving teams such as, say, Saudi Arabia and North Korea, or Bahrain and Indonesia are going to attract crowds is kidding themselves. Yet places like Gold Coast get rewarded despite A-League crowds averaging just 2,000!

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#846 Post by Paulns » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:54 pm

flavze wrote:So the new grandstand holds 14k people, what i'm after is how many does the top tier hold if anyone knows? Also i think i saw a pic of it somewhere with the dimensions but can't find it, i'm wondering whats the actuall length of the stand?
cheers for any help.
Maybe this will help??

http://www.cricketsa.com.au/content.aspx?p=324
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

flavze
High Rise Poster!

#847 Post by flavze » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:06 pm

Paulns wrote:
flavze wrote:So the new grandstand holds 14k people, what i'm after is how many does the top tier hold if anyone knows? Also i think i saw a pic of it somewhere with the dimensions but can't find it, i'm wondering whats the actuall length of the stand?
cheers for any help.
Maybe this will help??

http://www.cricketsa.com.au/content.aspx?p=324
cheers thanx for that, i was looking on the web but couldn't find it last night. To many ciders i think.
Told me most of what i wanted to know.

skyliner

[COM] Re: #U/C: Adelaide Oval - Western Grandstand Construction Th

#848 Post by skyliner » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:17 pm

Omicron wrote:
Hooligan wrote:
skyliner wrote: I thought the oval had a true 'oval' shape, but having been there only once, memory not a top reference point.

Have you ever been there for a football game?

The ridiculously deep pockets show that it is not a true oval.
Excuse me please. Adelaide Oval is perfect in every possible way for football and is immune to any and all criticism now and in the future. Enough of your ignorance. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
You are not pleased with the outcome?? Settle down lads, surely it is better than before :?: :?: :?: \

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#849 Post by Paulns » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:03 am

Tyler_Durden wrote:Another example is Adelaide's snub in the 2015 Asian Cup where all games are being scheduled for the East Coast. Is there a better suited stadium in the country to the expected small crowds of that tournament than Hindmarsh Stadium? I'm not talking about games involving Australia, they will rightly be played in bigger stadiums but anyone thinking games involving teams such as, say, Saudi Arabia and North Korea, or Bahrain and Indonesia are going to attract crowds is kidding themselves. Yet places like Gold Coast get rewarded despite A-League crowds averaging just 2,000!
This is an absolute joke??? What's wrong with the FFA?? It's this sort of apathy that keeps people away from the sport here and if the Footy does eventually come to the Adelaide Oval or a new city stadium its going to be a lot harder for Soccer to pull people away from the AFL. Not to mention the Cricket at a newly developed Adelaide Oval in the summer, particularly with the growing popularity of the Twenty 20 format.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#850 Post by ricecrackers » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:06 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:
Kasey771 wrote:Even failing in that bid, a FIFA compliant stadium would allow the FFA to finally schedule a Senior Socceroos game in Adelaide.
You of all people should know that Adelaide Oval is perfectly capable of hosting Socceroos games already. Three or four years ago Australia was scheduled to host Lebanon at AO and only political turmoil in that nation that caused them to cancel the trip to Australia prevented that game from going ahead. Adelaide don't get more games because FFA choose to pander to the bigger cities, unfortunately. Not because it can't.

I'm also surprised you aren't aware that the FIFA demands for the World Cup Finals are very different to what is expected for all other FIFA sanctioned games. For example, World Cup qualifiers have been held at Hindmarsh Stadium and Marden (yes, that Marden) in the last decade. And some of the grounds used to host World Cup qualifiers and other FIFA sanctioned games in regions such as Oceania, Africa, Central America, the Carribbean and even some of the tiny European nations pale in comparison with Adelaide Oval. I've seen the Socceroos play crucial WC qualifiers on grounds that pale in comparison to my back yard (e.g. Solomon Islands 2005)!

Anyone that says Adelaide Oval will not be fit to host Socceroos games is extremely ignorant and uneducated in matters of soccer.

For interest's sake this is a photo of the National Stadium of Faroe Islands that hosted their World Cup qualifiers, including against France, in the lead up to the 2010 World Cup. And that's in Europe!

http://www.hb.fo/index.php?pid=32
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%B3rsv%C3%B8llur
the problem isnt so much the stadium but the field
the field isnt level and has a cricket pitch in the middle of it
its a safety hazard and makes games played on it unwatchable
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#851 Post by mattblack » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:14 am

the problem isnt so much the stadium but the field
the field isnt level and has a cricket pitch in the middle of it
its a safety hazard and makes games played on it unwatchable
At the last AGM it was stated that the pitch will be FIFA compliant which includes leveling the playing surface. Drop in pitches will be used when AFL comes to town so that is also not a concern.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#852 Post by stumpjumper » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:43 pm

Out of interest, where will the drop-in pitches at AO be kept and how will they be slid there?

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#853 Post by stumpjumper » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:00 am

Kasey771 and others concerned about WC compliance at various match levels of AO might want to wade through FIFA's current requirements:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournam ... n_8211.pdf

Happy reading!

Xaragmata

#854 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:18 am

From Friday - roof on fourth bay almost complete, with safety mesh in place for final bay - seating largely complete in first two bays...

http://xaragmata.cable.nu/album/adelaid ... _1684.html

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#855 Post by mattblack » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:52 pm

stumpjumper wrote:Out of interest, where will the drop-in pitches at AO be kept and how will they be slid there?
Oval no. 2 will be bought up to first class standard and the pitches will be prepared there. Melbournes had alot of practice and learnt from past mistakes, experts will be consulting as to how is the most effective way of doing this. I guess they will be craned there, its a few hundred metres so it could be a slow operation.