[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment - General Discussion Thread

#1171 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:12 pm

as I have said elsewhere

it only needs a vocal minority and a un focused majority to blow this out of the water.

(like most things in Australia)

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#1172 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:16 pm

capitalist wrote:
Tyler_Durden wrote:
capitalist wrote:so is that the "realease" mentioned yesterday?

I thought we would get a bit more detail on WTF they have been doing for the last 6 months.
Of course a lot more detail will be released than just a photo taken by a member of the media. :roll:
:lol:

I meant that in a light hearted way but the response was well deserved
Sorry, I've read so much negativity over the most ridiculous things in relation to this project that I just thought "here we go again". I share your anxiousness to get this thing over the line so we can hopefully sit back, relax and enjoy watching it get built.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1173 Post by crawf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Just get rid of those huge gaps and I'll be happy :)
State Cabinet approves Adelaide Oval deal
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6013550676

A new model of the proposed Adelaide Oval redevelopment has been unveiled. Pic: Calum Robertson
Source: AdelaideNow
SACA members, who hold the key to the future of the $535 million Adelaide Oval redevelopment will vote early in May on whether or not to accept the deal.

The association's 20,000 members will be able to vote by post, by fax or at a special general meeting with 75 per cent of those who choose to vote needed to be in favour of the plan.

SACA president Ian McLachlan said today he was confident the vote would favour the new oval plan and his support for the project was echoed by SANFL Football commission chairman John Olsen, who said: "I have no doubt this project can, and will, stand on its merits."

Their comments came after the SANFL, SACA and the State Government reached agreement on how Adelaide Oval will be used, managed and operated.

The Government has agreed the oval will be managed and operated by the Stadium Management Authority, which is a joint venture vehicle of SACA and SANFL and the authority will be granted a long-term lease to manage and optimise the use of the venue.

Cricket will have exclusive rights for five months and one week a year while the remaining six months and four weeks will be handed over to football.

However, international events such as Olympics, World Cup Soccer, Commonwealth Games or World Cup cricket will have "unfettered priority" over all other uses.

Infrastructure Minister Patrick Conlon will meet the Adelaide City Council on Monday night in a bid to convince it to fully support the oval redevelopment.

Mr McLachlan said the SACA board had unanimously supported the oval deal and all of the membership rights of current SACA members would be preserved.

He said it would be disappointing if SACA members did not support the move, "but I'm not a negative person and I hope very much it won't".

Asked if he had heard prominent businessman Rob Gerard was supporting moves against the oval deal, Mr McLachland said he had heard that.

"I have had discussions with Mr Gerard," he said. "I would be very disappointed if he continues with that view."
Members hold key to Oval's grand designs
Michaelangelo Rucci From: The Advertiser March 03, 2011 12:00am
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/mem ... 6014434224

SACA members are mere custodians of Adelaide Oval, a venue their association leases.

This temporary control from the Adelaide City Council of a venue considered a State treasure carries a heavy responsibility.

There is the heritage of the Oval to protect, although the only bricks and mortar left from any time before 1980 are in the arches thrust into the design of the new western stand and the old scoreboard.

There is the ambience of the precinct, in particular the northern mound, the Moreton Bay trees and the view of the cathedral, all of which give Adelaide Oval the lustre as one of the world's most beautiful cricket grounds.

None of this is challenged by the architectural designs for the new 50,000-seat Adelaide Oval that would become one of the best stadia in Australian sport with some features valued ahead of those at the MCG.

Whether these plans become reality now rests with the SACA members. The SANFL has agreed to return to the Oval after 40 years of independence at West Lakes.

The State Government has agreed to finance the $535 million project that should - SACA members permitting - go to tender in mid-April.

The City Council is approving.

The SACA's senior administrators, in particular president Ian McLachlan, have been seeking this moment since 2007.

Now it all falls to the 20,000 SACA members. They can vote no - and retain Adelaide Oval as a cricket-dominated venue and one of the city's most under-utilised resources. They also have to consider the burden of the $87 million debt their association will carry.

McLachlan says the SACA can service this debt. But does it come at a cost of restricting resources to the SA cricket program, in particular the lamentable Redbacks?

Is it better to pay the banks or to invest the return from Adelaide Oval in cricket? They can vote yes - and make the new Adelaide Oval the jewel in a $3 billion redevelopment of the River Torrens precinct. They can deliver a modern venue hundreds of thousands of South Australians are craving, particularly young South Australians who want sports entertainment in the CBD. And in a modern stadium.

Whichever vote - yes or no - carries 75 per cent or more of the SACA membership wins the debate.

Who would have thought the SACA members would become more critical in this issue than the North Adelaide residents?

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#1174 Post by spiller » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:34 pm

I heard a snippet of Ian McLachlan on the radio earlier more or less pleading with SACA members to vote yes. I kind of laughed in my head, what a bizarre situation, for the government to ok a massive amount of money, followed by the agreement of the state's two larges sporting associations, ACC approval etc, yet the absolute final decision rests with less than 20,000 individuals who pay $300 for a ticket each year. I must say, I'm pretty bloody nervous about the outcome. I will definately be voting yes (first saca election I've taken part in in 8 years of membership).

I wonder why the SANFL never gave it's members the option of a vote, haha. They definately seem like the more "ballsy" organisation of the two.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1175 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:37 pm

http://helium.saca.com.au/helium/librar ... cement.mp3

there it is in full.

we have the annoucement of the vote - looking forward to the information.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#1176 Post by mattblack » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:57 pm

stumpjumper wrote:A few points and questions:
Many ordinary members did not understand the implications of this change, and the recently expanded membership, until now.

R u a member stumpjumper? If so you should of recieved all the relevant information in a pack before the last SACA general meeting. If you were confused about any of the details you should of read the pack which is what I did. If your not a member then Im not sure how much overview you would have of this process.
Name a government project that hasn't run over budget,

Northern Expressway. Finished months ahead of schedule and therefore under budget.
We already have SA Tourism Commission and Australian Major Events which is now folded into SATC as Events South Australia as well as Adelaide Convention and Tourism Authority Ltd - why did we have to set up another little empire in Adelaide Stadium Management Authority just to run the oval, especially when the AFL has already set down that the oval will belong to football 7 months of the year and to cricket for 5 months? We're only a small city, after all, and given the expensive SMA's predeliction for utter secrecy, wouldn't it be better to have it all run from one office?
Having a seperate authority means that they will be there for the sole pupose of enticing events to the oval and provide the best possible returns. I wouldnt trust tourism SA to beable to act in the best interest of an entertainment of sporting facility, they wouldnt have the expertise available or the vested interest.
Last edited by mattblack on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#1177 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:05 pm

spiller wrote:I must say, I'm pretty bloody nervous about the outcome. I will definately be voting yes (first saca election I've taken part in in 8 years of membership).
I hope they've already planned for this hurdle and will offer some sweeteners to members in a bid to entice them to vote yes. I'm a little worried that no such thing has been mentioned anywhere yet.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1178 Post by AtD » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm

It'd be nice to see a photo of the model with the roofs on.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#1179 Post by mattblack » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:57 pm

AtD wrote:It'd be nice to see a photo of the model with the roofs on.
Yep, curious about the structure which is on top of the central staiway of the western stand (picture on previous page). Looks like an addition for footy comentary but the roof and the supporting poles would be in the way of a decent view of the ground. We'll c I guess.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1180 Post by crawf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:08 pm

I don't think these videos have ever been posted. They include more in depth information, artist impressions and plans that haven't been shown in the media

believesinadsy
Gold-Member ;)

#1181 Post by believesinadsy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:50 pm

I really hope the SACA membership see the big picture and vote yes for everyone who lives in Adsy and South Australia, rather than just to keep the AO for a few cricket games each year and some beautiful old trees by voting no. I for one, whom isn't at all traditionally into cricket or football (having grown up watching and playing rugby union), would definitely attend both sports - its just so f'n convenient being in the city. furthermore its just a sexy looking redevelopment.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1182 Post by Pants » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:00 pm

If anyone reading would like to buy my vote, feel free to PM me.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#1183 Post by Hooligan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:35 pm

stumpjumper wrote: I don't know if use by other sports will definitely not be allowed

So in other words, You're making shit up.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#1184 Post by ricecrackers » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:49 pm

crawf wrote:Just get rid of those huge gaps and I'll be happy :)
State Cabinet approves Adelaide Oval deal
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6013550676

A new model of the proposed Adelaide Oval redevelopment has been unveiled. Pic: Calum Robertson
Source: AdelaideNow
SACA members, who hold the key to the future of the $535 million Adelaide Oval redevelopment will vote early in May on whether or not to accept the deal.

The association's 20,000 members will be able to vote by post, by fax or at a special general meeting with 75 per cent of those who choose to vote needed to be in favour of the plan.

SACA president Ian McLachlan said today he was confident the vote would favour the new oval plan and his support for the project was echoed by SANFL Football commission chairman John Olsen, who said: "I have no doubt this project can, and will, stand on its merits."

Their comments came after the SANFL, SACA and the State Government reached agreement on how Adelaide Oval will be used, managed and operated.

The Government has agreed the oval will be managed and operated by the Stadium Management Authority, which is a joint venture vehicle of SACA and SANFL and the authority will be granted a long-term lease to manage and optimise the use of the venue.

Cricket will have exclusive rights for five months and one week a year while the remaining six months and four weeks will be handed over to football.

However, international events such as Olympics, World Cup Soccer, Commonwealth Games or World Cup cricket will have "unfettered priority" over all other uses.

Infrastructure Minister Patrick Conlon will meet the Adelaide City Council on Monday night in a bid to convince it to fully support the oval redevelopment.

Mr McLachlan said the SACA board had unanimously supported the oval deal and all of the membership rights of current SACA members would be preserved.

He said it would be disappointing if SACA members did not support the move, "but I'm not a negative person and I hope very much it won't".

Asked if he had heard prominent businessman Rob Gerard was supporting moves against the oval deal, Mr McLachland said he had heard that.

"I have had discussions with Mr Gerard," he said. "I would be very disappointed if he continues with that view."
some roofing might be prudent
is this how they're saving money?
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

metro
Legendary Member!

#1185 Post by metro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:19 pm

ricecrackers wrote:some roofing might be prudent
is this how they're saving money?
yes they're going to dismantle the roof on the already built western stand :lol: