[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
spiller
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment Thread - Now Includes Poll!

#1786 Post by spiller » Fri May 06, 2011 3:46 pm

In my opinion, I think that the PAFC board's prediction that crowd attendances will increase significantly with the move to AO is a load of propaganda that was designed to win supporters over to back a development which the board knows will give them a better stadium return, which ultimately is the key to their financial success as a club. Arguments like "We don't like AAMI because it's a the Crows' homeground", and "Adelaide Oval is our spiritual homeground because we won a bunch of flags there in the 1950s" is the absolute biggest load of bull I have ever heard. Geographically speaking, AAMI is FAR closer to Port Adelaide than Adelaide (eventhough the crows represent a composite); basically the North Western burbs is real PA territory. Port have no link to AO, and i'll find it a little amusing when their attendances slump back to where they are today after the initial excitement of a new location wears off (but it wont matter as the club will be financially better off, and I dont care because i'm a crows fan and want footy in the city anyway :lol:)

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#1787 Post by stumpjumper » Fri May 06, 2011 6:53 pm

I'm one of those non-Port living members, rhino, and I've been a member since Russell Ebert, Greg Boulton and Bucky Cunningham were playing.

I think Power membership is around 36,000 (Crows have over 50,000 - no-one knows why). There are a lot of Power members spread around the place, me included, but I worked in the Port for three years and it was obvious then and still is I think (although I've never seen a list of members' addresses) that the Port area has a high concentration of Port and therefore Power members. The Crows has no such area.

My point about players being locals no longer applies to Port's list, but I think it still applies to a lot of Power members who are also or were Port Magpie members.
Rhino wrote: This seems to go against what the Club itself thinks. Numbers are dropping off at AAMI, and the club thinks they will do better at AO
I've wondered about that. Again, I have no figures, but there seem to be fewer pensioner Power fans at AAMI matches than there were a few years ago. This could be a false impression, or it could mean that Port is losing and not replacing its older fans. I don't go to many Magpies matches, so I can't say there.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1788 Post by crawf » Fri May 06, 2011 8:27 pm

Found this interesting....

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:Friday Night Blockbuster at the old Girl last night...Sturt moved their home game from suburban Unley Oval to AdOval and the results are a big WIN for FNF in the city IMO...

Sturt average home crowd for 2010: 3,849(SANFL site]
Last nights crowd: 7,049

scores:
Sturt…6-12-48
Nwd….19-12-126

Goals
Sturt…Crane, Duldig x 2, Stokes, Wingard
Nwd….Aish x 5, Eagleton x 4, Gallagher x 3, Persinos x 2, Terlich, Bown, Dawe, Bode, Rowe
**Young Jesse Aish had one of the best solo footy goals I've seen in the third quarter. took possession on the 50(members side), sold a couple of dummies, hand passed it to himself over a couple of Sturt players, then ran in and kicked the major from an acute angle at about 35 meters out. If you can find highlights, do yourselves a favour as Molly would say and check it out:)
Quarters
Sturt…2-4...3-7...3-10.….6-12-48
Nwd….4-3...7-6...13-10...19-12-126
I spoke to as many members as I could last night(about 10 of all ages and most were indicating that they were inclined to vote yes unless something out of the ordinary happened to change their mind. Definitely a case of younger members gung-ho for it, older ones happy to be more cautious.small sample size of course.
Interesting point from my observation, to a man they were convinced that the State govt would 'make it happen' regardless of the vote of 20,000 SACA members;)
Funnily enough, with no special trains/buses put on(its 'only SANFL) it did seem to me that most folks either parked in the city and walked down or were on the standard Friday night PT. AND of course those precious view of the Adelaide Hills mean Jack schit at niht;) but that's one more thing for the old fuddy duddies to bitch about that has no consequence to the end result .
Stolen from here
http://www.austadiums.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=405

flavze
High Rise Poster!

#1789 Post by flavze » Fri May 06, 2011 9:45 pm

stumpjumper wrote:I've wondered about that. Again, I have no figures, but there seem to be fewer pensioner Power fans at AAMI matches than there were a few years ago. This could be a false impression, or it could mean that Port is losing and not replacing its older fans. I don't go to many Magpies matches, so I can't say there.
with the government proposing free PT for matches with a game ticket this will surely bring more pensionors back to the game won't it?
Wouldn't $$ be the no1 reason for them not coming? Along with ease of access and comfort, all these things should be better at AO.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#1790 Post by stumpjumper » Fri May 06, 2011 9:54 pm

I agree. That is interesting. Especially after all the hoohah, you'd expect better than two goals from Duldig.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#1791 Post by stumpjumper » Fri May 06, 2011 10:01 pm

You're onto something flavze. After spending that much on the AO, it would be good to see however many seats remain after the various memberships have been accommodated, offered free (by ballot if necessary) to the non-member mug punters who have paid for it.

It would be a nice gesture, for a few weeks at least.

thechap
High Rise Poster!

#1792 Post by thechap » Sat May 07, 2011 6:11 pm

stumpjumper wrote:You're onto something flavze. After spending that much on the AO, it would be good to see however many seats remain after the various memberships have been accommodated, offered free (by ballot if necessary) to the non-member mug punters who have paid for it.

It would be a nice gesture, for a few weeks at least.
Just so I'm clear, are you suggesting that they would offer tickets to AFL matches for free? :shock:
"The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair." - Relient K

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#1793 Post by dsriggs » Sat May 07, 2011 6:50 pm

crawf wrote:Found this interesting....

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:Friday Night Blockbuster at the old Girl last night...Sturt moved their home game from suburban Unley Oval to AdOval and the results are a big WIN for FNF in the city IMO...

Sturt average home crowd for 2010: 3,849(SANFL site]
Last nights crowd: 7,049

scores:
Sturt…6-12-48
Nwd….19-12-126

Goals
Sturt…Crane, Duldig x 2, Stokes, Wingard
Nwd….Aish x 5, Eagleton x 4, Gallagher x 3, Persinos x 2, Terlich, Bown, Dawe, Bode, Rowe
**Young Jesse Aish had one of the best solo footy goals I've seen in the third quarter. took possession on the 50(members side), sold a couple of dummies, hand passed it to himself over a couple of Sturt players, then ran in and kicked the major from an acute angle at about 35 meters out. If you can find highlights, do yourselves a favour as Molly would say and check it out:)
Quarters
Sturt…2-4...3-7...3-10.….6-12-48
Nwd….4-3...7-6...13-10...19-12-126
I spoke to as many members as I could last night(about 10 of all ages and most were indicating that they were inclined to vote yes unless something out of the ordinary happened to change their mind. Definitely a case of younger members gung-ho for it, older ones happy to be more cautious.small sample size of course.
Interesting point from my observation, to a man they were convinced that the State govt would 'make it happen' regardless of the vote of 20,000 SACA members;)
Funnily enough, with no special trains/buses put on(its 'only SANFL) it did seem to me that most folks either parked in the city and walked down or were on the standard Friday night PT. AND of course those precious view of the Adelaide Hills mean Jack schit at niht;) but that's one more thing for the old fuddy duddies to bitch about that has no consequence to the end result .
Stolen from here
http://www.austadiums.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=405
To be fair, who wants to watch the footy at Dog Crap Park?

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#1794 Post by stumpjumper » Sat May 07, 2011 9:13 pm

thechap - it is a bit of a stretch, I admit, but considering what the AFL stands to gain (if the Centre for Economic Studies' projections are correct) it could be a great way of introducing the facility to the public, and it would be great to see the redevelopment start with a few full houses. It would be a good test of the facilities as well.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1795 Post by crawf » Sat May 07, 2011 11:17 pm

Are you serious?

It is more of a stretch... nothing is free in this world

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#1796 Post by stumpjumper » Sun May 08, 2011 11:46 am

OK then - what about an open day, when no fixtures are scheduled? I'm thinking... free beer!

Seriously, it would be nice for non-SACA/footy members just to see what our $ have bought.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#1797 Post by spiller » Mon May 09, 2011 11:33 am

when the western stand was completed, non-saca memebrs got to sit in it for one day at a redbacks sheild game IIRC, free tickets on the other hand, are highly unlikely. I dont think they would have any issues selling the thing out in the first contest, especially if it's a showdown.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#1798 Post by peas_and_corn » Mon May 09, 2011 1:43 pm

stumpjumper wrote:OK then - what about an open day, when no fixtures are scheduled? I'm thinking... free beer!
I think the last time free beer was given out was when a guy was trying to get people to see his singing frog.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#1799 Post by dsriggs » Mon May 09, 2011 8:31 pm

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#1800 Post by ricecrackers » Tue May 10, 2011 12:22 am

stumpjumper wrote:OK then - what about an open day, when no fixtures are scheduled? I'm thinking... free beer!

Seriously, it would be nice for non-SACA/footy members just to see what our $ have bought.
i like this idea
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey