[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Hooligan
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#3826 Post by Hooligan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:46 pm

As a Port supporter, i would have no problem with past Crows players getting recognition around the oval. I also have no problem with great SANFL players from any of the SANFL's 10 clubs having their best players mentioned. (a mention of West Torrens would make me all warm with nostalgia)

I can't believe i'm agreeing with a crows supporter on something.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

justinpa1
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3827 Post by justinpa1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Why the problem with Max Basheer? He made SA Footy into the powerhouse that it is today. He has been as important in the last forty years as any of the players who are on the stand next to him.

joshyboy
Gold-Member ;)

#3828 Post by joshyboy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:21 am

I wasn't around when SACA and SANFL were fighting but from what I know I believe moving away from AO was the correct decision for the circumstances.
I also think it would be understandable that Basheer would have reservations moving back to AO when (a) there is much more at stake now than when they left and (b) he knows all the crap that went on, and put a lot into the setup at West Lakes.
He has gone about stating this position in a courteous and respectful manner. He has also been a strong force and leader of football in this state so regardless of whether he *really* wanted to move away from AAMI I have no problem with recognising him for his contributions to SA football.

On the location of the naming: It does look like the letters are bigger, but I think the images give that impression as the top of the face of that tier seems darker. I reckon they're the same size. By having him in the centre they're ensuring it's not a Port/Crows or other club player getting the middle over someone else. How happy would crows fans be if Wangas got the middle.

bretthandorf
Gold-Member ;)

#3829 Post by bretthandorf » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:15 pm

Sir Donald Bradman Pavilion staring directly across at the Max Basheer Stand... bit ironic don't you think

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3830 Post by rev » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:21 pm

justinpa1 wrote:Why the problem with Max Basheer? He made SA Footy into the powerhouse that it is today. He has been as important in the last forty years as any of the players who are on the stand next to him.
Max Basheer did what now?
He isn't as important as any legends of the game.

If you want to know what a true legend of the game is, look up people like Fos Williams.
Malcom Blight is more deserving of a stand being named after him then Max Basheer.

Basheer is in the hall of fame(SANFL and AFL)...for what?
How many SANFL games did he play?
How many goals did he kick?
Besides overseeing footy moving away from the City, he also oversaw the laughable introduction of light towers at AAMI..apparently it took about 7 years to install them and even featured a royal commission. He's credited with also overseeing Port joining the AFL...LOL..Port was on it's way to joining regardless. But I'll leave that subject alone.

You know what, I'm more deserving of an entire stadium being named after me, let alone a stand.
Better be careful what I say, I think the old guy is still involved in law.

Lets be honest, the naming of the stands is all internal politics.
I think a better option then calling every thing a stand or pavilion, would have been to simply put up some names of legends of cricket and football, in signage that actually looks suitable, and some statues in the surrounding parklands. Of people who actually deserve to be remembered for their positive contributions to their respective sport.

In all honesty, I'm surprised John Olsen didn't push for a stand to be named after him too. And surprised that Whicker settled with just a room in the southern stand.
Hooligan wrote:
I can't believe i'm agreeing with a crows supporter on something.
Shame on you Hooligan, shame shame shame!!

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#3831 Post by Hooligan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:19 pm

Statues around the ground would be excellent. I personally would like to see an embronzed replication of the court room that saw the birth of the crows forever immortalised.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3832 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:17 am

Hooligan wrote:Statues around the ground would be excellent. I personally would like to see an embronzed replication of the court room that saw the birth of the crows forever immortalised.
Someone has already committed to building a series of statues around the ground - one of the conditions of a statue was that you didn't have a stand named after you.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3833 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:34 am

rev wrote:
justinpa1 wrote:Why the problem with Max Basheer? He made SA Footy into the powerhouse that it is today. He has been as important in the last forty years as any of the players who are on the stand next to him.
Max Basheer did what now?
He isn't as important as any legends of the game.

If you want to know what a true legend of the game is, look up people like Fos Williams.
Malcom Blight is more deserving of a stand being named after him then Max Basheer.

Basheer is in the hall of fame(SANFL and AFL)...for what?
How many SANFL games did he play?
How many goals did he kick?
Besides overseeing footy moving away from the City, he also oversaw the laughable introduction of light towers at AAMI..apparently it took about 7 years to install them and even featured a royal commission. He's credited with also overseeing Port joining the AFL...LOL..Port was on it's way to joining regardless. But I'll leave that subject alone.

You know what, I'm more deserving of an entire stadium being named after me, let alone a stand.
Better be careful what I say, I think the old guy is still involved in law.

Lets be honest, the naming of the stands is all internal politics.
I think a better option then calling every thing a stand or pavilion, would have been to simply put up some names of legends of cricket and football, in signage that actually looks suitable, and some statues in the surrounding parklands. Of people who actually deserve to be remembered for their positive contributions to their respective sport.

In all honesty, I'm surprised John Olsen didn't push for a stand to be named after him too. And surprised that Whicker settled with just a room in the southern stand.
Yep, and Fos Williams' name is next to Max Basheer on the Eastern Stand, and I think Blight is getting a statue at the ground (though Blight could have easily taken Riccuito's place on the stand).

He's in the SANFL and Australian Football Hall of Fame for nearly 50 years of administrative service to football - 10 years in the amateurs, 40 years with the SANFL. In fact, he was already so well revered at the SANFL he was awarded life membership before he became SANFL president. He also served 25 years as SANFL president - longest president in SANFL history. Not only was it 25 years, he oversaw a lot of change in competition, yet still kept the league and the competition relatively strong (I'm talking about during his time, not the destruction John Olsen is causing to the league).

And how is introducing light towers at Football Park laughable? Not really his fault if the Adelaide mentality kicked in and prompted the Royal Commission, if anything he should be applauded for not giving up and eventually fulfilling that dream for lights - which might I add were installed before the MCG (and many other future VFL/AFL grounds) got light towers. Football Park would have eventually been forced to get light towers when it started hosting AFL games anyway - it was great that AFL night games could be played there from game 1.

Not only was he heavily involved in getting football to Football Park, he also developed Football Park into what was (when the Crows entered the competition), one of the best grounds in the AFL. Also, look the legacy Football Park will leave for South Australian football when they sell it off for housing - it will leave the SANFL set up for life financially. If it wasn't for the likes of Basheer in the late 60's/early 70's who had the balls to move to Football Park, you would still have massive (and probably increasing amounts over time) chunks of Adelaide Oval reserved for SACA members, which would have left extremely limited seating/capacity for Crows/Power supporters should they have played at Adelaide Oval since 1991/1997. Could you imagine how much of a laughingstock we would have been if the Crows/Power would play in front of sell out crowds of 15 000 with the ground half empty because of SACA members not turning up! Taking football to Football Park was the best thing for SA football, and Basheer was a big part of that.

He has every right to be deservedly honoured with part of the Eastern Stand named after him.

Finally, look at how they've set the names out on that stand:

1 x ex-Crow great (Ricccuito)
1 x ex-Power great (Wanganeen)
1 x Port Magpie great (Williams)
1 x SANFL great (Oatey)
1 x Administrator (Basheer)

Could you imagine the shit storm one of the first four in that list got two names at the expense of everyone else. They've named the stand well.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3834 Post by rev » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:02 am

Yeh, nup, still not deserving of a stand being named after him.
Maybe a gate, or a corporate room/facility like Whicker, but that's about it.

What about the lawyers who helped create the Crows? Why don't they get a stand named after them? Surely their contribution is as solid to football as Basheer..

Naming of stands, statues should be reserved for legends who played the game.
Not paper pushing douchebag corporate types.

But hey, I respect your opinion, you think he deserves it, I don't, let's leave it at that and let the topic get back on track.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#3835 Post by Matt » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:57 am

Was it on here that I read that each tier of the new stand is getting LED advertising banners along the front?

I think the Riverbank Stand already has theirs by the look of it.

It's really going to be spectacular lit up at night.

joshyboy
Gold-Member ;)

#3836 Post by joshyboy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:37 am

Matt wrote:Was it on here that I read that each tier of the new stand is getting LED advertising banners along the front?

Looks like it.
AAMI started with the fence as an improvement over the ones at the 'G and Etihad, which half the time end up mis-matched.
Etihad got them on the front of 2nd tier last year.
Such a great idea, saves a lot of changing of advertising when everyone wants their own stuff and none of anybody elses.

bretthandorf
Gold-Member ;)

#3837 Post by bretthandorf » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:16 pm

Matt wrote:Was it on here that I read that each tier of the new stand is getting LED advertising banners along the front?

There will be LED advertising on level 1 and 3 (first 2 tiers) with no advertising on level 5 as i can understand, and the regular advertising on level 4 as we saw at the ashes and strikers games.

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#3838 Post by buildit83 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:30 pm

Waewick wrote:How did Wanganeen get a stand named after him?
Gavin Wanganeen is one of the best South Australian players in the modern era and that is always down played in this state because he didn't play for the damn Crows :wallbash:

This is why he's name deserves to be up there in big letters!

SANFL

Port Adelaide SANFL premiership side 1990
SANFL Rookie of the Year 1990

AFL

AFLPA Rookie of the Year 1991
All-Australian Team 1992, 1993, 1995, 2001, 2003
Essendon pre-season premiership side 1993, 1994
Michael Tuck Medal 1993
Brownlow Medal 1993
Essendon premiership side 1993
Essendon Team of the Century (back pocket) 1997
Port Adelaide captain 1997–2000
Port Adelaide pre-season premiership side 2001, 2002
"Champions of Essendon" - elected 19th, 2002
Runner-up in the Brownlow Medal count (equal) 2003
Leigh Matthews Trophy runner-up 2003
Port Adelaide best and fairest 2003
Inside Football Player of the Year 2003
Port Adelaide premiership side 2004
AFL Life Membership 2004
Most Outstanding achievement in AFL 2004 (The Deadlys)
Indigenous Team of the Century half-back flank 2005
Port Adelaide Life Membership 2006

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3839 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:21 pm

SA has really lead the way when it comes to LED signage - AAMI Stadium was the first AFL ground to have an entire side of the ground with LED signage (only other AFL ground that LED signage prior to AAMI was ANZ for small sections behind the goal), and now Adelaide Oval will be the first ground in the AFL (and the country) to have 2 tiers of an entire side of a ground to have LED signage.

I really hope that in addition to the the signage used for advertising, you get the cool graphics for goals you see in US arena's.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3840 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:20 pm

monotonehell wrote:Looks stupid. Serves no purpose. Messes with the architecture. Take the lettering down.
+1.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.