[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
waz94
Gold-Member ;)

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment - General Discussion Thread

#31 Post by waz94 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:41 am

Just come back from Canberra and front page of Canberra Times has Canberra getting a new stadium built for World Cup (if bid successful).

40,000 seat stadium for $270 million ($100 million donated by ACT Government). Design looks great as well.

Is steel more expensive in Adelaide? As our stadiums, in the past, have been quoted as $1 billion plus.

And the current redesign of AO at $450 million plus to seat an extra 10,000 people.

flavze
High Rise Poster!

#32 Post by flavze » Sun May 16, 2010 10:37 am

waz94 wrote:Just come back from Canberra and front page of Canberra Times has Canberra getting a new stadium built for World Cup (if bid successful).

40,000 seat stadium for $270 million ($100 million donated by ACT Government). Design looks great as well.

Is steel more expensive in Adelaide? As our stadiums, in the past, have been quoted as $1 billion plus.

And the current redesign of AO at $450 million plus to seat an extra 10,000 people.
thats cus the canberra stadium is a simple rectangular stadium for sports to be played on a rectangle pitch, whilst they will have a seperate oval for sports played on an oval.

Here in SA they want to have one super stadium to cater for everything so it will have to include movable seating on a grand scale. It will end up like Etihad were i can't remember the last time it has had a decent surface for any sport and to big for anything but crows games and Ashes tests + 1 day and 2020 internationals.
Last edited by flavze on Sun May 16, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by Hooligan » Sun May 16, 2010 11:13 am

flavze wrote:
waz94 wrote: and to big for anything but crows games and AFL.
Crows games and AFL are different things?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#34 Post by ricecrackers » Sun May 16, 2010 1:23 pm

flavze wrote:
waz94 wrote:Just come back from Canberra and front page of Canberra Times has Canberra getting a new stadium built for World Cup (if bid successful).

thats cus the canberra stadium is a simple rectangular stadium for sports to be played on a rectangle pitch, whilst they will have a seperate oval for sports played on an oval.

Here in SA they want to have one super stadium to cater for everything so it will have to include movable seating on a grand scale. It will end up like Etihad were i can't remember the last time it has had a decent surface for any sport and to big for anything but crows games and AFL.
exactly
Etihad stadium is a disgrace most of the time..but again here in Adelaide we have this need to copy everything Melbourne does but on a cheaper scale, rather than find our own path

no amount of money thrown at Adelaide Oval will make it suitable to cater for all of AFL, Cricket and Soccer..plus other major events like ACDC concerts
it'll be retractable floodlights all over again
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Stubbo
Gold-Member ;)

#35 Post by Stubbo » Sun May 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Surely with a total of 450 + 250, Adelaide Oval could be upgraded for AFL, and a new Rectangle Stadium built?

I agree with the other comments regarding trying to fit everything into one oval and hence increasing the complexity significantly. We are not going to host any semi finals etc, so dont need a rectangle stadium of significant size, rather in the 35-45 thousands? Maybe a rectangle stadium with 30,000 permanent seats with a further 10,000 that can be removed after the WC?

With Adelaide regularly hosting Rubgy Sevens and the Adelaide FC going to the Asian Champions League and performing well, there should be a reasonable business case for both stadiums. We may even be able to talk a permanent rugby team into basing themselves in Adelaide or having exhibition matches here (like AFL at Manuka).

flavze
High Rise Poster!

#36 Post by flavze » Sun May 16, 2010 3:42 pm

Hooligan wrote:
flavze wrote:
waz94 wrote: and to big for anything but crows games and AFL.
Crows games and AFL are different things?
oops :oops: was supposed to say crows games and the Ashes tests.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#37 Post by crawf » Sun May 16, 2010 11:31 pm

Heres a question, do we actually have a chance of scoring the world cup?, 5 years ago hardly anyone in this country cared about soccer and now we are talking about bidding for the FIFA World Cup.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#38 Post by ricecrackers » Sun May 16, 2010 11:39 pm

just because thats how you felt doesnt mean everyone else felt that way

and yes of course there is a chance
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#39 Post by stumpjumper » Mon May 17, 2010 12:56 am

With Adelaide regularly hosting Rubgy Sevens and the Adelaide FC going to the Asian Champions League and performing well, there should be a reasonable business case for both stadiums.

Spot on, Stubbo.

I can't think why there hasn't been (published at least) a rational consideration of alternative answers to the question:

'Optimise Adelaide's major sporting facilities, bearing in mind cricket, AFL football and the possibility of FIFA matches in 2018 or 2022. Budget $800mill.'

I seriously doubt that the answer would be to give $450 mill to eight well-meaning amateurs each with a commitment to either cricket or Aussie Rules football, ask them to come up with a solution by a fixed date, then proceed to change the rules as Foley has by talking about extended deadlines and new design parameters involving makeovers for the whole precinct.

Apart from anything else, where does that leave the supposed army of experts hard at work earning the $5 million up front consultancy fees provided by the government for the rush job to meet the deadline? At an average principal's rate of $2000 per week, $5 million represents 10 principals working full time for about 4 years. Remember that the $5 million is for pre-construction work only.

Kal El
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#40 Post by Kal El » Mon May 17, 2010 9:14 am

Adelaide cannot afford to have money put into two stadiums consdiering the rectangle stadium wouldn't pull enough crowds after the WC. it makes more sense to put money into one stadium what can be multi purpose as we are not a rich state Fed money or not.It seems we are getting closer to getting some action in the city finally... maybe. I like the render for AO in World Cup mode

contractor
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by contractor » Mon May 17, 2010 10:23 am

Stubbo wrote:I am probably coming at this from a rather simplistic and uninformed angle, BUT, if the new western stand costs approximately $95 mill, the new stadium in Melbourne cost $270 mill, couldn't (for the reported $450 mill) a dedicated rectangle stadium be built utilise $300 mill, leaving $150 to play with improving Adelaide Oval?

Once a Rectangle Stadium is built, surely Hindmarsh would need to be sold, and the money raised could then be funelled into further improvement of Adelaide Oval, along with any money made with selling land surrounding AAMI Stadium?

That way, rectangle stadium is built, any money left over + money raised from selling Hindmarsh can go into Adelaide Oval.

I watched the Engineering Connections show on Wembley Stadium and if that was built for cost as posted above, geez, what do we do with our money, spend it on advisers, consultants? The new Wembley stadium is amazing in terms of design, statement and functionality (from what I saw).
I think your onto something there. Sell AAMI and Hindmarsh stadium. Adelaide oval can cater to cricket and AFL. We need a rectangular stadium of about 40,000 in the CBD. Once world cup fever hits this country, soccer's popularity will be huge and will continue to grow. An influx of migrants over the next couple of decades will ensure the interest is maintained. The ground would become Adelaide United's home in conjunction with holding international events.

Kal El
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#42 Post by Kal El » Mon May 17, 2010 12:49 pm

I am bemused but the notion in Adelaide that Adelaide needs a 30-40K rectangular stadium when there are no real facts or figures to support this and the long term financials of the stadium.

Don’t get me wrong I would love to see a rectangular stadium with a great Oval stadium in the city to make a sport precinct as it would bring the city to a different level but as such I can only see a 25K at the most for at least the next 10 years as United’s crowds are only around the 10K.

Also this stadium would have to compete against Adelaide Oval for events for its financial running. Adelaide just at this point and for years to come just doesn’t fit having this.

Sorry to semi hi-jack this thread off topic.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#43 Post by spiller » Mon May 17, 2010 1:02 pm

I agree, there is absolutely no longterm justification for a rectangular stadium of 40K in Adelaide. Melbourne has 4 times as many people and ten times as many professional sporting teams as Adelaide and they only just built a rectangular stadium. huge waste of money. the options are 1) upgrade adelaide oval for 500+ million or 2) build an entirely new multi purpose stadium with a roof for 1 billion 3) option 2 is ridiculous

Stubbo
Gold-Member ;)

#44 Post by Stubbo » Mon May 17, 2010 1:08 pm

Kal El wrote:I am bemused but the notion in Adelaide that Adelaide needs a 30-40K rectangular stadium when there are no real facts or figures to support this and the long term financials of the stadium.

Don’t get me wrong I would love to see a rectangular stadium with a great Oval stadium in the city to make a sport precinct as it would bring the city to a different level but as such I can only see a 25K at the most for at least the next 10 years as United’s crowds are only around the 10K.

Also this stadium would have to compete against Adelaide Oval for events for its financial running. Adelaide just at this point and for years to come just doesn’t fit having this.

I agree with havnig a 30-40,000 capacity stadium would be too large for ongoing needs. However, if the stadium is built with 25-30,000 permanent, and 10-15,000 extra seats that would be removed, it would be viable in my opinion. With a central location, all sports benefit from better public transport and would (again in my opinion) have higher crowd numbers.

Also, If AAMI was removed from the sports ground list, and an upgraded Adelaide Oval (for all forms of cricket and AFL) and Rectangle Stadium (Football, Rugby Sevens) were the two main stadiums, I believe that they would be more viable than current, with the three ovals competing for an income. In essense, Adelaide Oval becomes AAMI (the large sprts ground 50-60k seated) and new Rectangle Stadium becomes Adelaide Oval (30-35k seated), albiet with far improved location and facilities. Think about how many acts use AAMI compared to Adelaide Oval now, most acts use Adelaide Oval, not many will actually fill AAMI or need that much space, making the still large but slightly smaller venue more attractive.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#45 Post by ricecrackers » Mon May 17, 2010 1:40 pm

Stubbo wrote:
Kal El wrote:I am bemused but the notion in Adelaide that Adelaide needs a 30-40K rectangular stadium when there are no real facts or figures to support this and the long term financials of the stadium.

I agree with havnig a 30-40,000 capacity stadium would be too large for ongoing needs. However, if the stadium is built with 25-30,000 permanent, and 10-15,000 extra seats that would be removed, it would be viable in my opinion. With a central location, all sports benefit from better public transport and would (again in my opinion) have higher crowd numbers.

Also, If AAMI was removed from the sports ground list, and an upgraded Adelaide Oval (for all forms of cricket and AFL) and Rectangle Stadium (Football, Rugby Sevens) were the two main stadiums, I believe that they would be more viable than current, with the three ovals competing for an income. In essense, Adelaide Oval becomes AAMI (the large sprts ground 50-60k seated) and new Rectangle Stadium becomes Adelaide Oval (30-35k seated), albiet with far improved location and facilities. Think about how many acts use AAMI compared to Adelaide Oval now, most acts use Adelaide Oval, not many will actually fill AAMI or need that much space, making the still large but slightly smaller venue more attractive.
this is what the FFA were proposing to the SA govt, but Rann wanted Adelaide Oval

IMO there is a strong business case for a centrally located 25-30k seat rectangular stadium

the whole point of a World Cup is to leave a legacy for soccer and only a fool would think that staging this event would have no impact on general interest in the game here. it still amazes me how many Adelaideans are so naive to the enormity of this event and the impacts it would have.